• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Silly Newbie Q - lost disc protocal

RichS

Newbie here - about a month in. I've both found a disc and received a text that someone found one of my lost discs.

Any standards on how/where to meet/communicate/rewards/etc.

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but this topic is a fully decomposed horse.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a link or two., but you can search for threads about this topic easily. There are several and they almost always end badly.

Yeah, all the threads can be summarized as a few points of view:
1. take the time/courtesy to call or text the number on disc, it is someone's property
2. leave the disc where it was or put it in an obvious location or dropbox
3. finders keepers
there are variations on that, but sums up most opinions
some people offer a small reward as thanks, but most don't
I just know that I want any of my lost discs back, so I always text the number on a disc.

Easy answer. Use some common sense/courtesy and remember the golden rule.

Some people go the extra mile to return discs, being willing to pay shipping, meet at extremely inconvenient times or locations, drop it off at the owner's residence, etc. That's fine if you want to do it. It's also completely understandable if you don't want to or don't have the time/energy/money. My conscience doesn't let me throw discs with others' name/number unless I've reached out to them. This means I usually text people or sometimes just leave discs that I find. It's strangely enjoyable to return a well-loved disc to an appreciative loser. But it's also rather frustrating to go out of your way to return a disc to someone who doesn't seem appreciative. I've experienced both many times.

If someone finds your disc, just don't be unreasonable. Give them a simple option such as meeting you at a course where you/they play frequently, or such as leaving it in a location where you can pick it up. Don't be the guy who expects someone to ship them their disc, meet at an unreasonably specific time, or whatever. If it's a disc you really appreciate or one with some value, it never hurts to give $5 or offer one of your other discs to reward the finder/returner.

I'd link to one of those threads discussing this topic, but the discussions turn into such ridiculous such arguments that I'd rather you just not look...

I'd like to expand on armiller above:

A couple of years ago a buddy and i built a lake rake. i've taken it to 4 or 5 different courses over that time and have found probably north of 400 discs by now. My method for dealing with them is thus:

No ink? Keeper. If you don't care enough to write some sort of contact info on your disc, i'm not going to care enough to find out who you are. To those who say post it on facebook? Not a chance. One, i don't do facebook. Two, i'm sure as hell not going to try to referee between 2 or 3 or 9 different people who say that its theirs, when none of them have proof.

Discs with ink? I make 3 attempts to contact the owner: either 2 texts and a call or 2 calls and a text, generally 1 week apart. If there is no response 1 week after the third attempt, it gets donated. it takes 30 seconds to respond to someone trying to get in touch with you about your lost plastic. if you can't bother to do that, tough ****, your hardware is getting donated to some kids.

The people i make contact with? They're the worst part. about 1/3 of the people i do get in touch with make 0 effort whatsoever to get their stuff back. these discs usually end up getting handed off to a friend of a friend who goes to a course that the owner might play next month. those that do make an effort? all i ask for is a handshake and a thank you. You want to give me something for it? cool, i'll accept. I've had a few people offer to trade their lost disc for a disc out of their spare stash. Also cool; i like trying unfamiliar plastic.

Short version? If you found someone else's disc, make a reasonable attempt to get it back to them. You'd like others to do the same for you.
Someone found yours? Be prompt in your responses and offer them a beer or 5 bucks or whatever for their effort.

Just send them to me, I'm sure you'll have no problem paying for the shipping.
You're welcome.

I write my PDGA on all my dollar bills, so that if someone finds them there's at least a chance I'll get them back...

Latest posts