• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skins - Feldberg, Lizotte, Ellis, Barela

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The latest GKPro skins is an absolute goldmine of fascinating stuff.

Everyone is making putts from everywhere and Feldberg makes an outside anny C2 throw-in to push a hole (after slipping out and full ass falling down on his second shot) that literally has everyone open mouthed in disbelief.

There is a story that's get told about how Feldberg ran down Lizotte from way behind, birdying out to push a playoff with an 80 foot throw-in, after everyone thought Lizotte was all but mathematically guaranteed the win.

Will Schusterick is there just walking with everyone, not even playing. Says he's there as "Hogan's caddy."

AB says his favorite course is Northwoods Black and everyone seems to agree that woods courses are the best and OB kinda sucks.

Way more great stuff in here.

Another thing I found interesting is that, for a guy renowned for the crazy lines he (used to) throw, Simon is frequently down on himself to the point of absurdity. He basically discounts the good play and wins he has had recently, literally saying that he shouldn't be winning.

I think it just goes to show that there is no one way to approach a "good" mental game.

That was one of my favorite skin matches I've watched by a country mile. Love seeing dave throw with the young guns

Just saw this thread. Thanks for the recommendation.
Sounds like a good watch!

I admit I like watching these for the "personalities" as much as the shotmaking - like KG's antics and Calvin's burns. With that in mind, this edition was all about keeping the microphones on Simon and Feldy.

I agree with the observation about Simon's reactions. How many times have we heard "That's SO bad!" from him after a release?

But the most striking thing for me was watching how dialed-in Feldberg was. It was clear from the side conversation with Schusterick that part of Feldy's advantage was his experience on this course - but I kept watching his shots land in C1 and thinking "Darn, Feldy's good..."

BTW if anyone wants to watch the Feldberg chase down of Lizotte from the 2014 Rochester Flying Disc Open, it's on McFly So High YT disc golf channel.

Simon brought up a point that everyone seemed to agree with regarding professionals. He said something along the lines of "You only have so many throws in your arm". That's not something I've ever considered - that your arm would just say 'enough' and that, without considering injury or age, their arm would just no longer throw well enough for them to make a living doing so.

Really excellent episode - best in a while for sure. Also, I don't mind Luke and he seems a good all-around guy for this kind of job but it may be time to move on. Things get stale, and the humor from the players and not the host lately makes me think it may be time for Melton to take the mic.

I was surprised how Simon reacted when he missed that putt on 14. So out of character. He is lucky the disc didn't nail that dude in the face, but it did skim his hair.

And I also forgot how good Feldberg is. He was making some shots and talking some smack.

Simon brought up a point that everyone seemed to agree with regarding professionals. He said something along the lines of "You only have so many throws in your arm". That's not something I've ever considered - that your arm would just say 'enough' and that, without considering injury or age, their arm would just no longer throw well enough for them to make a living doing so.

I thought this comment was in response to the question, "How long can Anthony Barela keep throwing 600' sidearms?" Simon's response was something like, "I give him 3 years."

Implying that backhand is less taxing on the joints compared with sidearm.

^I thought Simon said something to the effect of his (Simon's) arm being only good for 3 full power sidearms per round. Maybe two different comments?

Story time...I was on Feldberg's card in the 2nd round of the 1999 DGLO, while he was still in Am-1. It was 5th card. One of the feathers in my small never-made-it-to-MPO cap, even though he proceeded to beat me by a stroke every 4 holes. He was just starting to get good at that point, and that was as good as I got. I imagine the world champ version of him wouldn't have tied me in round one with a 74 at Hudson Mills' original for round one. (The courses there had 24 holes by this point).

It wasn't too long before this when my buddy Wildman (today's owner of Wild Haven) played a casual round with both him and Al Schack up in Ludington while Al was giving him tips. So cool he got to witness behind-the-scenes history like that. It's one of the stories Wild and I talk about when we're in Statler and Waldorf mode around today's campfires as old guys. Funny thing is, Al kept telling Feldberg to do this and do that and do this, but he told Wild, "You look fine, keep it up!" Wildman did eventually go on to have a pretty good pro masters career a few years after that. He even beat Schack on a hole once.

Feldberg was always nice to me, never had a problem with him. He was just a college kid at WMU back then with no fame yet. I definitely remember telling him I hadn't developed a good RHBH yet while waiting to tee off on Monster #1 (the "new" wooded hole version of it), then pinning it with a Pegasus (it's still on my wall today). He said, "I thought you didn't have a backhand!" I was like, yeah, that's a small sample size here.

I also remember him being pissed that they made Am-1 shoot the short tees on the Monster course for that round, like he was insulted.

He'd wind up in 7th place for the event, one stroke behind Avery Jenkins. Two future world champs playing in Am-1 right there! Terry Miller took 3rd and beat them both by 5 and 6 strokes. I finished way down at 36th just under the halfway point. I never really did much better, with a couple of top ten finishes in Am-1. I stopped playing sanctioned events regularly about the same time Stokely did with a blip in 2005-06 when I tried a few events. Wouldn't play again until 2020. Man, it's a different game now.

Simon is lucky he didn't nail the cameraman with that hissy fit rage throw, what a baby. No one called him out on it either, the reaction was just nervous laughter as far as I could tell. I'm glad he got skunked. Feldberg was impressive, if you could put his brain/competitive mindset in AB's body you'd have a 10x champ I think.

Simon is lucky he didn't nail the cameraman with that hissy fit rage throw, what a baby. No one called him out on it either, the reaction was just nervous laughter as far as I could tell. I'm glad he got skunked. Feldberg was impressive, if you could put his brain/competitive mindset in AB's body you'd have a 10x champ I think.

I thought the same thing...not a great look for Simon. Sometimes Feldy can be insufferable on camera, but man I love watching his game and approach to courses.

I thought the same thing...not a great look for Simon. Sometimes Feldy can be insufferable on camera, but man I love watching his game and approach to courses.

He's a little high strung (32 oz black coffee halfway finished on 1st hole, lol), but he's clearly locked in, he seems to manage a high level of intensity without putting too much strain on himself. His chatter is classic gamesmanship, I love it.

Story time...I was on Feldberg's card in the 2nd round of the 1999 DGLO, while he was still in Am-1. It was 5th card. One of the feathers in my small never-made-it-to-MPO cap, even though he proceeded to beat me by a stroke every 4 holes. He was just starting to get good at that point, and that was as good as I got. I imagine the world champ version of him wouldn't have tied me in round one with a 74 at Hudson Mills' original for round one. (The courses there had 24 holes by this point).

There was a time period around when Feldy won worlds in 2008 in Michigan where he was clearly the best disc golfer in the world, no doubt. And for those that think he won on some pitch and putt courses, I've played all those courses, and they are no joke. The final day was on Timber Ridge (which doubles as a ski lodge) and that course is an absolute monster and with a little TLC would easily rival the Toboggan course just south of it in terms of difficulty and length.

Latest posts