• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Slow-Motion video help

lko102

Par Member
Hey everyone. I haven't been around in the while, as summertime is outside time. Hope all is well with everyone around here.

Anyway, I was out the other day throwing some practice throws with the aid of a slow motion video camera, and was hoping that some of you fine folks would be so kind as to lend me your opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18r9MSr-5Y

Anyway, from looking at it, I can see that my front shoulder is too low, and I am guessing that is why the disc is streaking off to the left. Distance was ok, probably around 400' ft off the hill, but I was just curious as to what some of you more experienced players would have me correct.

Thanks~

This is really cool. Good footage. More of us should do this.

You're getting serious wobble out of your hand. This is probably that the disc is off line of the plane you want to release it. You point the disc forward even through your x-step, and this might explain the dipping shoulder and wobble. You should have the disc reaching back for as long as possible so you can pull the disc along the plane you want to release it on, and have more power generated in moving the disc forward. Pull it, don't throw it. You should be reaching back at least by the time you are in the x step, so the next step is the is the push off and you have the disc in position early rather than the last second snapping back and forth you have.

A good drill is to take one step into some practice throws, and already have the disc reaching back so you work on the pull and follow through (which yours is good). Concentrate on keeping the disc flat (no nose up or down) to eliminate wobble that kills distance and accuracy.

It looks like you aren't extending your elbow early enough and not bringing the disc in close enough to your chest. Your shoulder is leading your elbow too much and it's costing you wrist extension. The "right pec" drill from the Dan Beto video and using a bent arm reachback will help you get the feel for "chopping" your elbow correctly.

You may also be rolling your wrist a bit which is causing the wobble. Check out your hand right after the throw. Your palm is rolling up a bit rather than downward which will allow a fuller follow through. Check out picture number 5 of Carrie B. from Innova:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/carrie.html

Look how her shoulders are on the same plane as the disc and how her hand has rotated downward to allow her arm to come around easier.

You got 400' on that throw? It looked closer to 300' to me, but obviously I have no way of telling for sure.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice, but one thing I noticed was that you kept your arm too straight once you started your pull-through. The disc needs to be moving more in a linear direction during your pull-through rather than the swinging/arching motion that you have. This requires you to bend your elbow more and keep the disc closer to your chest. Of course, I could be wrong cause I'm not that great myself...it's just what I noticed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys/gals!

It's a bit disturbing to see all your flaws exposed at 210 fps, but it helps pinpoint stuff you never even knew was happening.

The pin is marked at 365' or so, and I ended up skipping of a sidewalk about 40' behind the pin. Part of that is a significant hill that I am throwing off of. I'd say on a flat hole, my max distance is somewhere between 325-340' on a good throw.

I'm off to practice some of these suggestions and film again tomorrow. Thanks again!

Oh, and btw, if anyone is interested or looking for a camera, this is what we were using. It also does 1000 fps, but the resolution is so crappy, it makes it hard to see details in shots like this.

Yeah, we should record some of both. Since we only have one camera, we can only get either slow mo or regular, it would be great if we had a second camera to get the same throw in both slow motion and regular speed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys/gals!

It's a bit disturbing to see all your flaws exposed at 210 fps, but it helps pinpoint stuff you never even knew was happening.

The pin is marked at 365' or so, and I ended up skipping of a sidewalk about 40' behind the pin. Part of that is a significant hill that I am throwing off of. I'd say on a flat hole, my max distance is somewhere between 325-340' on a good throw.

I'm off to practice some of these suggestions and film again tomorrow. Thanks again!

Oh, and btw, if anyone is interested or looking for a camera, this is what we were using. It also does 1000 fps, but the resolution is so crappy, it makes it hard to see details in shots like this.

Good luck, I am sure that all the practice will allow you to continue to improve.

Yeah, we should record some of both. Since we only have one camera, we can only get either slow mo or regular, it would be great if we had a second camera to get the same throw in both slow motion and regular speed.
You may be able to find software to play the higher frame rate at normal speeds. I don't know for sure, but it may be worthing asking around about.

Concentrate on keeping the disc close to your chest, physically draw a line across your chest if you have to a few times.

Watch the Bento "from the hit back" video, work on your throw in stages.

\/\/