• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Carolina Courses

In the Columbia area there are some in the preliminary stages, but I doubt that will translate to baskets in the ground this year.

Why are there so few courses in South Carolina? It's the home of Innova East and the USDGC yet there are no new courses so far this year and only 107 total.

Georgia seems really low too with the PDGA headquarters and a much larger population. Is it just too hot? Too many snakes?

107 isn't bad, for such a small state.

OK, it's not great, either. The eastern two-thirds of the state are a disc golf wasteland, with few courses and just a scattering of good ones. The real growth is in the northwest corner.

But with Charlotte and Augusta right on our borders, we feel pretty rich, just with the proximity.

....I live with one foot in Columbia, and the other in the middle of nowhere.

Columbia has had a lot of trouble getting much traction. Which feels worse, being about midway between Charlotte & Augusta. Mitigated a little by the fact that the handful of good courses are all very different from each other, so within that small sample there's a good bit of variety.

For what it's worth, there are some new courses---but they're private, unlisted, and not open to the public.

And my middle of nowhere? Not a lot of courses, but the average quality is pretty good.

^I've yet to play any courses in the Low Country...

I exaggerate a little. There are a few good, even very good courses, and a few other courses. But they're spread thin, east of Columbia, compared with other places.

For such a small state there is a huge variety of types of courses. Also, Spartanburg Parks Dept has installed 4-5 courses in the last couple years. They have a lot of parks employees that play and good topography for it.

For such a small state there is a huge variety of types of courses. Also, Spartanburg Parks Dept has installed 4-5 courses in the last couple years. They have a lot of parks employees that play and good topography for it.

Spartanburg is really putting together something special...Greenville's got a couple of courses in development (Golden Grove and Dolly Cooper)

Yeah, that's what I meant by "the real growth is in the northwest corner" of the state. Spartanburg County, and some small town, governments have embraced disc golf, in a way that doesn't seem to have caught on elsewhere.

107 isn't bad, for such a small state.

OK, it's not great, either. The eastern two-thirds of the state are a general wasteland, with few courses and just a scattering of good ones. The real growth is in the northwest corner.

But with Charlotte and Augusta right on our borders, we feel pretty rich, just with the proximity.

I love the Palmetto State and having lived there for a good chunk of my adult life I can understand why there isn't much disc golf there. South Carolinians care way more about youth baseball and football and that's where their parks and rec dollars will go. Then there's Clempson and Curralinuh games to watch. And if you don't like sports you're probably hunting or fishing. You have to remember this is a largely rural state in the south.

The northwest corner is chock full of people, mostly not from South Carolina (or the US) and that's why there's more growth and DG. I really do miss the courses there. The upper state is just a cool place right now. The midlands (Columbia/Sumter) is just a different level of hot and the lower state between there and Chucktown is just well, what it is. But yeah the proximity of Charlotte helps (if you live in Greenville/Spartanburg/Rock Hill).

Last edited:
We can't be that much different from North Carolinians!

(or perhaps we can be).

You guys differ more on barbecue styles and suaces more than you do disc golf.

Heck, South Carolina has 3 different barbeque sauce regions. 2 of which are simply wrong. It's more than we can undertake to straighten out any other states.

In truth, South Carolina seems to be more like Georgia than North Carolina.

Keltik was right about parks. Most towns and counties don't spend much on parks, and when they do, it's almost always for athletic fields, not natural areas. As a result, there are fewer places where a course might go on public property, and little interest from parks departments. With a few notable exceptions, of course.

As someone who remembers when there were 2 courses in the state, 107 doesn't seem all that bad. About 90% of them are within 2 hours of my house.

The total looks a little better when viewed in relation to our size and population.

I played Holston Creek in Inman yesterday. That is one heck of a disc golf course. I see Spartanburg being way ahead of Greenville right now, but hoping Greenville can make a comeback.

I played Holston Creek in Inman yesterday. That is one heck of a disc golf course. I see Spartanburg being way ahead of Greenville right now, but hoping Greenville can make a comeback.

Is that the one with the huge "Air Mail" box with a dangling basket? I played a course in Inman (that's what my phone says, anyway), but I can't remember the name of the place.

Really, really cool course, whatever it was. :thmbup:

Is that the one with the huge "Air Mail" box with a dangling basket? I played a course in Inman (that's what my phone says, anyway), but I can't remember the name of the place.

Really, really cool course, whatever it was. :thmbup:

Yes! That is the one!

We can't be that much different from North Carolinians!

(or perhaps we can be).

from a North Carolinian to a South Carolinian you guys are different but in a good way. We're kinda standoffish up here. But we do barbecue way better than you guys. What is that mustard sauce abomination?

Yeah Spartanburg County had better courses than Greenville County when I was down there. When did Boiling Springs change it's name from Va Du Mar to Shoally Creek? anyway that course was the JAM!

We're more standoffish b/c we're closer to yankeedom. :|