• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New North Carolina Courses

To be honest, I haven't played much disc golf this year, but recently started getting some rounds in a bit more often. I did notice a few new courses/redesigned courses in the Charlotte area. I haven't had a chance to play any of these layouts yet, if anyone has, what are your thoughts?

Bohemian Cattle Co. - Sherrills Ford, NC
Looks like a new course on a cattle farm. According to their website, a waiver must be filled out to play, and it costs $5 to play.

Davidson College
Apparently Davidson College has been redesigned. It shares 9 of the wooded holes from the old layout, but has 9 holes that are completely new. Not sure if that is enough of a redesign to warrant a new Course page, but it is enough that some people may want to revisit the new design.

Winthrop University - Coliseum
Not a NC course. But when I went to play Winthrop Lakefront a couple of weekends ago I was surprised how many baskets they had around the Coliseum. Didn't realize a second permanent 18 hole course had been designed to play around the other half of Winthrop Gold.
Nice. I haven't thrown Winthrop in ages. Maybe sometime later this month I'll head out there and film the new course, then throw a regular round on the old course.

I played an eventual PTP course just outside Raleigh last week. It will be good when fully installed.
Biscoe, you love dropping these cryptic and tantalizing morsels about new courses under development. We start salivating but then we just have to wait to discover them later...

Davidson College
Apparently Davidson College has been redesigned. It shares 9 of the wooded holes from the old layout, but has 9 holes that are completely new. Not sure if that is enough of a redesign to warrant a new Course page, but it is enough that some people may want to revisit the new design.
I went up to check out Davidson College to see the changes and it is HORRID! It's not really even a complete course anymore. There is also a major construction project that separates 2 of the old baskets on the campus from the other holes. I have no idea how many holes there are at the moment. In a rare move, I was so frustrated that I quit and left. My advice is... don't waste your time going there.

I went up to check out Davidson College to see the changes and it is HORRID! It's not really even a complete course anymore. There is also a major construction project that separates 2 of the old baskets on the campus from the other holes. I have no idea how many holes there are at the moment. In a rare move, I was so frustrated that I quit and left. My advice is... don't waste your time going there.
Good to know. The post I saw was back from February of this year, it said there were 18 holes. I wonder if the school gave up on the course.

Edit: Just checked the course map of the "redesign". Definitely looks incredibly spread out now. The two holes from the quad area look so out of place.

Last edited:
To be honest, I haven't played much disc golf this year, but recently started getting some rounds in a bit more often. I did notice a few new courses/redesigned courses in the Charlotte area. I haven't had a chance to play any of these layouts yet, if anyone has, what are your thoughts?

Bohemian Cattle Co. - Sherrills Ford, NC
Looks like a new course on a cattle farm. According to their website, a waiver must be filled out to play, and it costs $5 to play.

Davidson College

Winthrop University - Coliseum
Not a NC course. https://edubirdie.com/ helps me and is a great essay writing service. But when I went to play Winthrop Lakefront a couple of weekends ago I was surprised how many baskets they had around the Coliseum. Didn't realize a second permanent 18 hole course had been designed to play around the other half of Winthrop Gold.

Bohemian Cattle Co. - I'm wondering what the overall layout of the course is like, and if there are any holes that are particularly challenging. I mean are there any holes that play around the cattle pens or other farm features?
I'm also looking forward to playing the new disc golf course at McAlpine Creek Park when it's finished. I've heard that it will be a challenging course with a lot of elevation changes, so I'm excited to see what it's all about.

P.S. Have you had a chance to play any of the other new or redesigned courses in the Charlotte area?

Bohemian Cattle Co. - I'm wondering what the overall layout of the course is like, and if there are any holes that are particularly challenging. I mean are there any holes that play around the cattle pens or other farm features?
I'm also looking forward to playing the new disc golf course at McAlpine Creek Park when it's finished. I've heard that it will be a challenging course with a lot of elevation changes, so I'm excited to see what it's all about.

P.S. Have you had a chance to play any of the other new or redesigned courses in the Charlotte area?

I recently uploaded a lot of pictures from Bohemian Cattle Co. and the review that I wrote for it. It looks like they might be closing down at the end of September. At least the restaurant is. I might try to go grab dinner there tomorrow, if I do I will try ask them. But if it is a course you want to play, I would head out tomorrow to check it out. I would wear long pants, just because the grass seems to less grass and more the long, weed infested stuff you usually get when you first starting cutting down long growth.

The course design felt like some holes were designed to be played by people with cheap frisbees and a beer in one hand, and other holes were designed to be played by serious disc golfers. It was an odd mix of some of "Wow, this course is absolutely stunning. That hole was so sick! This will become a destination course if a bit of maintenance is done around here & the tees are fixed," and "Well that hole was filler, or completely awkward."

After being out of commission for about a month for a torn meniscus flare up, I got out to play The Pursuit DGC @ Asbury Academy (a new course in 2023) in Lincolnton. For a nine hole school course, I was surprisingly blown away. I am not sure if that is because I expected very little, the fact that the course still seems have work being done, utilized a surprising amount of elevation for such a flat part of the state, or the fact that when I got there I saw 5 baskets in an open field and figured I was in for the same old elementary school experience I've come to know. I think there were only two holes on the entire course that didn't have some form of gap to hit, tee shot to shape, or just played primarily through the woods. If I lived in Lincolnton, I might actually prefer to play there than Betty G. Ross Park.

Last edited:
Does anyone have information about when the Fletcher Academy course might open? It is in Fletcher, near Asheville
I went searching since I know some individuals who attended there ... in a September 2023 interview, the Fletcher Academy CEO said that one of the main goals for 2023-24 was "completing a 30-acre forested disc golf course." :)

Biscoe, you love dropping these cryptic and tantalizing morsels about new courses under development. We start salivating but then we just have to wait to discover them later...
Didn't see any updates. I am almost certain the course being referred to here is Acorn Hill DGC. It's supposed to be P2P with clubhouse and everything. Haven't been able to make it over there yet so I can't speak to the course itself...

Didn't see any updates. I am almost certain the course being referred to here is Acorn Hill DGC. It's supposed to be P2P with clubhouse and everything. Haven't been able to make it over there yet so I can't speak to the course itself...
Yes, it was Acorn Hill JB was talking about.
It has opened, it is P2P and I added it on here.
They are selling annual memberships and limiting weekend play (Fri-Sun) to members only. (That might be during certain times on the weekend, don't recall exactly.)
But it is open the other days of the week for anyone, $10 a day I believe. I looks like they've put in turf tees and have a variety of holes.
Let us know if you get a chance to check it out.

A couple of new courses and a major redesign:

CROSSROADS DGC - this is a wooded nine holer on the Crossroads Fellowship Church property in NE Raleigh, east down Millbrook Road, not too far from Cedar Hills. I got to play it last month, the tees are pretty rough, but the signs are great and brand new baskets. Most of the holes are well designed, with a couple a little funky. I'd give it a 2.5-3.0. The church also has a very popular Thrift Store within site of the course, so if you have a family member into that, drop them off and get a round in.

DRAGONFLY DGC - this temporary 9 holer on the Morrisville Town Hall complex was installed to continue to show the town council the interest in DG in the area. Its a flat, beginner friendly course that requires several types of throws to score well. The property will eventually be used for a new Town Hall, so play it while you can.

SOUTHEAST BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY - a nine hole course was put in several years ago in Wake Forest, the design was so-so, but they had nice tees and new baskets. Several of the baskets have been showing some where lately. Just this summer the Seminary, along with Wake Forest Parks and Rec and Capital Area Disc League redesigned a full 18, new signage, baskets and tees. This used just 2 or 3 of the original holes but was updated on here as a redesign, no not a new course for those that have played the original. :( I haven't played it yet, but am familiar with the property, so this should be a huge improvement.

Got a chance to play Fisher River this week.
It is a George Sappenfield design, installed by the Surry County Parks & Rec.
I was pleasantly surprised, all the tees are sand/fine gravel blocked in on 3 sides (L,F,R), great Tee signs (showing 2 basket positions), plenty of Next Tee signs where available and brand new DISCatchers.
Very wooded property with only 2 holes being "partially" wooded. Lot's of elevation with just a few flat holes, be sure to make the climb up to #6, its well worth it!
I'm thinking its a 3.0, would probably be a 3.5 if there were a few longer holes, averaging just 192' per hole. Pretty obvious it is designed for beginners and families and it accomplishes that.

This is Acorn Hill. As others have said it's a Pay to Play venture in the Raleigh area. I hope that it works out for them.