• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin Painting

I am thinking that come summer time, I will build me a fan. Might have to run to a couple of goodwills to find the parts. I'm liking my simple build.... but want the industrial fan design. Don't want to live like the Amish for too long.

Same here, I think the only thing holding me back at this point is having to install a dimmer switch, something I'm not sure I want to mess with.

I've been using a record player, and feel it just spins a little too slow to get as much out of the technique as possible.

Dan - I've been thinking about since I am planning on getting an old box fan at some point - I have a suction cup w/a pencil size hole in the "stem" side (not suction side). I'm thinking if you had a circlulare piece of wood, with a pencil sized dowel rod in the middle, attached to the fan, either side of the disc could be spun & painted, as long as the suction cup could be centered.

My other thought was velcro strips - hooks on the disc, loops on the fan - to hold it secure...

Sure wish I had a fan... :)

Rayne that's sweet, nice use of the technique!

I'm struggling with the bottom at the moment so it won't be me doing it. I'm just putting a duct tape roll on top of the fan's center part to cover the "nose cone", it works ok, not as stable as it needs to be. I need to replace the fan blade apparatus with something that will hold the disc properly but still provides the ventilation of the blowing fan (love that part of it!). Any suggestions?
What I did was attach a styrofoam takeout container that's roughly the same size as a roll of duct tape, but wider at the top than the bottom, so flipped upside down on the fan cone, it has a wider base. (The kind of container held a lot of ranch dressing at one point, a bowl but with straight edges.) To center that, I stuck a kabob skewer through the center point of the container, and onto the center point of the fan cone, then held it as straight as possible while applying duct tape. I ended up a touch less then 1mm off, so it works. I only needed a single strip of duct tape, my old setup was far more heavily taped and I found it hard to center the disc.

To put a board on top, I just cut out a circular piece of cardboard, and attached it to the styrofoam with one of those push-pins with 2 prongs on the back that get pulled apart. It's holding for now, but I think at some point the push-pin will force its way through the styrofoam.

The major downside to this method is that while the board allows you to use off-center points for your design, it also becomes a lot harder to center a disc perfectly, and it's a pain in the ass to detach, which requires removing and recentering the styrofoam base.

More fun with it!

cantwealldiscalong.jpg

Another one I did- I started with red ink from the outside edge and made brush strokes 1/3 of the way towards the center, then moved in a bit and used orange, then moved in more and did yellow.

010001j.jpg

Another one I did- I started with red ink from the outside edge and made brush strokes 1/3 of the way towards the center, then moved in a bit and used orange, then moved in more and did yellow.

010001j.jpg

That looks awesome, did you recently sell that to Marshall St.? They have one for sale exactly like it

010001j.jpg

That looks great. :hfive:

my first

I've been reading dye threads for a while and decided to try one today. I used a box fan with the blades cut off. Stuck the disc to the fans "hub" by putting a wad of poster putty around the cone in the center. It stuck great. Allowed for easy repositioning, but I still had it a hair off center. I-dye poly and acetone. Disc is a cryztal sparkle buzzz. Thanks to all you pros who share your techniques.:hfive:2013-03-23_18-26-32_674.jpg

Seriously, thank Dan. Without his help I never would have been able to put it together. When I get some spare time I'm going to put together a streamlined "how-to" for putting together the dimmer/fan combination that can hopefully go in the stickied methods thread- it really is something an electrical idiot (like myself) can put together.

Goofed around with the spinner again today. Meh. Glo Buzzz.

Attachments

• 2013-03-24_17-18-29_436-1.jpg
    2013-03-24_17-18-29_436-1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 283
baoverton gave me a cool disc to get creative with, it forced me to address the bottom painting issues. I took the dremel tool to the fan and knocked off the "nose cone". It works well enough, as long as the disc isn't too "domey".

fanDSC_4327_zpsdc557ed5.jpg

Results
LeoDSC_4627_zps9b6fa0f4.jpg

back
LeobackDSC_4632_zps828f62eb.jpg

glo
gloleoglopicDSC_4619_zpscf708833.jpg

I'm not sure how fast you need the disc to spin, but has anyone tried doing an off-center spin, or would the disc just wobble off the fan/record player?