• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SQUATCH Legend!

I remember my first backpack. It was North Face's first trash-can internal frame pack. Everything before was an external-frame pack. Amazing how many people have ripped off that design. Good thing they figured out they could sell puffy jackets to the douche bags at the mall.

This thing is a straight up rip off and these dudes should be ashamed of themselves.

I might have a little more respect for them if they didn't claim they designed it themselves and were honest that they're just undercutting Pound as a money grab. Sad.

This thing is a straight up rip off and these dudes should be ashamed of themselves.

I might have a little more respect for them if they didn't claim they designed it themselves and were honest that they're just undercutting Pound as a money grab. Sad.

I've already forgotten, but did they claim to design it or just that they have personal experience in such matters?

I've already forgotten, but did they claim to design it or just that they have personal experience in such matters?

So with our combined experience designing and manufacturing custom bags and cases for major companies all over the world, we set out to use those skills and create the best disc golf backpack on the planet.

Close enough. They gave no credit to the original. They have no character.

I have a Voodoo Spinal tap 3 bag....one could argue that it's a ripoff of Grip...they went out of business. Not sure why.

The Octothorpe takes many design aspects of the Grip....the Octo is just a Grip with "redesigned" pockets. The disc placements, storage, and water bottle holders are all in the same spots. Having hard plastic panels to keep the bag structure integrity is similar too.

The reason why Octo doesn't get labeled as a "rip off" is because of their $500 price point. If they priced their bags to undercut Grip, this same outrage could be had.

What "design" is a new disc golf bag company supposed to use? GRIP set the standard....almost everyone else copied or made slight panel/material changes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-094118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-094118_Chrome.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20211001-093856_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-093856_Chrome.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20211001-093750_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-093750_Chrome.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51
And more

Quit ya B!tchin and support the company you want. If you try and explain the differences in design between these 5 bags, all you do is strengthen the argument that the Squatch is in fact, a different bag then the Octo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-094225_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-094225_Chrome.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20211001-094658_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-094658_Chrome.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Anybody else think Squatch is a terrible name?

Eh, not the worst. I'm no marketing genius. "Squatch" is unique and memorable, which seems like a plus. They do seem to have gone all-in on the branding, so that this bag could not possibly be mistaken for a different company's bag ;)

I kind of like the little Sasquatch stick figure logo. I don't get the lightbulb with 3 spikes. Perhaps that's on brand for someone more knowledgeable about Pacific Northwest fauna legends.

I remember my first backpack. It was North Face's first trash-can internal frame pack. Everything before was an external-frame pack. Amazing how many people have ripped off that design. Good thing they figured out they could sell puffy jackets to the douche bags at the mall.

I wear North Face. 😡

J/k

Also.....to add on....

If I was going into business making anything, you'd bet my first move would be to thoroughly investigate my competitions product. Of course they bought a pound bag. Betcha they bought a UPD and a Grip too. And others.

And more

Quit ya B!tchin and support the company you want. If you try and explain the differences in design between these 5 bags, all you do is strengthen the argument that the Squatch is in fact, a different bag then the Octo.

If you really can't see the design differences between a Rebel, a Grip, and an Octo......

Also.....to add on....

If I was going into business making anything, you'd bet my first move would be to thoroughly investigate my competitions product. Of course they bought a pound bag. Betcha they bought a UPD and a Grip too. And others.

Of course you evaluate the competition. Then you make your own design to improve what exists in the market. Not just straight up copy it and pass it off as your own unique creation.

If you really can't see the design differences between a Rebel, a Grip, and an Octo......

That is the point...I do see the differences, which allows me to see the differences between the Squatch and Octo.

The Dynamic is a ripoff of Rebel or vice versa if that is how you base your argument..

Get it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211001-101102_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-101102_Chrome.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20211001-101045_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211001-101045_Chrome.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 42
I think ODRB may be a viral marketing guru. By playing up the controversy, he has surely attracted more clicks and eyeballs than this thread would otherwise have gotten. Lots more product awareness.

That is the point...I do see the differences, which allows me to see the differences between the Squatch and Octo.

The Dynamic is a ripoff of Rebel or vice versa if that is how you base your argument..

Get it?

There's more variation between the Commander/Rebel than between the Octo/Squatch, but yeah, I'm not a fan of the Commander undercutting the Rebel either.

Eh, not the worst. I'm no marketing genius. "Squatch" is unique and memorable, which seems like a plus. They do seem to have gone all-in on the branding, so that this bag could not possibly be mistaken for a different company's bag ;)

I kind of like the little Sasquatch stick figure logo. I don't get the lightbulb with 3 spikes. Perhaps that's on brand for someone more knowledgeable about Pacific Northwest fauna legends.

Probably it's just me, but squatch makes me think of a hairy creature getting low to drop a deuce.

There's more variation between the Commander/Rebel than between the Octo/Squatch, but yeah, I'm not a fan of the Commander undercutting the Rebel either.

I feel the same....I do see the obvious of the Squatch being similar to the Octo BUT I see that everywhere, in almost every product in the U.S.

The Octo was ripe for being undercut charging $500...I mean you have to try hard to find a backpack that costs that much.

Octo is still the Bently of disc golf bags regardless of the Squatch. If Squatch somehow made a bag that is every bit as quality as a Octo, for half the price, it is impressive.

The amount of ppl playing disc golf has tripled....new disc companies, shoe companies, and bag companies are coming to profit off that....there is only so much you can "redesign" in those spaces.

The cream will rise to the top. Pound is sold out and probably has a backup of bags needing to be made...

Gorilla boy couldn't keep up with demand and lost alot of business...I don't even know if they're still making bags?

Delta failed, and then Ridgeroller made a copy with the R3. Hell, Joe was "redesigning" Zuca carts for disc carts, and reselling, before he teamed up with Zuca(then eventually left).

The old top loading square bags(used with quad shocks) were all almost identical, even tho 5-6 companies made them and promoted as "their design".

Ppl take pride in the fact that they have the best bag in the game with the Octo....now another company has come along with a similar bag, promoted with the same quality, for half the price.....I get being upset BUT the core of the outrage is in your feelings....not the actual product. Because this has been happening and will continue to happen indefinitely.

What "design" is a new disc golf bag company supposed to use? GRIP set the standard....almost everyone else copied or made slight panel/material changes.

Not new, but a bit different when compared to most backpacks.

3974948194_68c4b1da5a.jpg