• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star SL suggestions?

pjbd10119

I have a star SL that i really never throw at all only because i throw it about the same but not as good as my orc. I wouldnt mind getting to know it a little better, any suggestions on what I should try with it that might produce some good results?

Last edited:
SL is basically a flippier Orc. It may not handle wind as well but I find it to be a great straight shot type driver. Easy to manipulate. I haven't thrown the Pro SL but I hear that's a really good one for distance bombs.

Hyzer flippping an SL? Either you have a MUCH beefier arm than I do (not that hard to believe), or my Star SL is a lot more overstable than yours. I have a lot of trouble keeping my SL on any kind of anhyzer line without a significant headwind, and in my experience, a hyzer flip needs an even more understable disc.

That said, I like my SL a lot. It is a very controllable, very predictable disc with enough stability that I have trouble turning it over. A little like an Orc that doesn't flip quite so easily during HSS.

I throw both BH and Thumbers with my Star SL. It's a pretty versatile disc ... you can hyzer flip it, anhyzer it, flex it, hyzer bomb it, and throw some pretty nice straight ropes with it. Beat it in (I found mine was pretty overstable at first and has since become very neutral) and straight chucking it.

I have a star SL that i really never throw at all only because i throw it about the same but not as good as my orc. I wouldnt mind getting to know it a little better, any suggestions on what I should try with it that might produce some good results?

I carry both a Star SL and Pro Starfire(Pro SL). I find that they are best for Hyzer flips to straight shots. The Pro one is beat and also is a great roller disc. They were also my first good Forehand discs.

In other words, they are very versatile as others have said. Do some field practice and see what works.

am I missing something here? Wouldn't the obvious suggestion be to get more practice with the SL?

@mzuleger I intend to practice with it. I thought that was obvious. I was only trying to see what specific shots some more exprienced players that I already use an SL for so I can have a point of reference when I'm practicing.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Hey everyone, long time disc golfer, but newbie to this forum.
The Star SL and Pro Starfire have been my goto driver for... for... well ever since they came out. I noticed on the Innova web site last night that all reference to them has been deleted. Any one have some insight on this? I am hoping that they have not been discontinued.:thmbdown:

Thanks

The SL was one of my first driver, drivers (if you know what I'm saying) and I always liked it. Might have to grab one for nostalgia sake :D. If you are liking the SL and want something that won't overlap as much as the Orc maybe get a regular Champ Starfire. Though I recommend flat and kind of opaque the domey clear ones, in my opinion, aren't that great.

Schook if nothing else I know they aren't too popular so they should still be pretty easy to find. But they may have gone like the Eagle molds and the new SL's could possibly say Starfire and you have to look at the disc itself to see if it is an X mold or a L mold.

Schook if nothing else I know they aren't too popular so they should still be pretty easy to find. But they may have gone like the Eagle molds and the new SL's could possibly say Starfire and you have to look at the disc itself to see if it is an X mold or a L mold.

Man! I hate the confusion factor having to look for X vs L molds. Anyway, SL's have always been rear here, so this looks bad for me. I see the Discmania Craze has the same rating, you don't suppose....

SLs can still be purchased here in NH so they must be in production still. I love the SL. As many have already said, it needs a good hyzer flip to be truly effective. The SL is a very touchy disc so it takes some getting used to, but once you have it down you'll be very pleased with the precision distance drives you can pull off.

Man! I hate the confusion factor having to look for X vs L molds. Anyway, SL's have always been rear here, so this looks bad for me. I see the Discmania Craze has the same rating, you don't suppose....

That could be. Innova might have figured the SL's weren't flying off the shelf so lets let Discmania give them a funky stamp and see how it works out.

Great, another mainstay in my bag is now oop. Time to stock up. Do Champion/Star Starfires "beat in" to a flight similar to the SL?

Hyzer flippping an SL? Either you have a MUCH beefier arm than I do (not that hard to believe), or my Star SL is a lot more overstable than yours. I have a lot of trouble keeping my SL on any kind of anhyzer line without a significant headwind, and in my experience, a hyzer flip needs an even more understable disc.

That said, I like my SL a lot. It is a very controllable, very predictable disc with enough stability that I have trouble turning it over. A little like an Orc that doesn't flip quite so easily during HSS.

You've got a freak SL, then. It should be a little LESS stable than an Orc. How far are you getting the SL to fly?
I've thrown SL's that were beefier than Orcs as well. My impression is that this disc doesn't mold up very consistently. Starfires and SLs both are not super special for BH imo. The OLFs are similar and a lot more versatile depending on the plastic. I do have a beat to hell Star Starfire that I love for FH though.

throw it flat, flatter than your orc. or release at a hyzer if it's flipping.

pretty much this.

i have a weenie arm too, and the star sl i had was nothing but a meathook. didn't try it in headwinds though...

I find the SL to be very similar to the Viking - just a tad faster. Enough turn to get a hyzer-flip, but very rarely will the SL turn and burn for me. The SL may be my favorite driver at the moment - and is my fastest driver.

If you're not hooked on Innova, Discraft's Surge SS flies the same for me. I prefer the star plastic, but I'll just throw the Z...

Latest posts