• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star stingray?

I mostly throw a dx stingray.... love that disc. Bought my wife a star stingray... it flies a little more stable to me, but is more domey. Also, the feel of the star plastic just isn't right for me on a stingray. I like the chalky feel of the dx. Personally, I prefer dx for the stingray.... but would like to see it in a gl or ti type plastic... that would be freakin sweet.

The Star plastic, by default, will be less understable than the DX. The Star will also take much longer to break in than the DX, making the DX even more understable than the Star counterpart.

The Star plastic, by default, will be less understable than the DX. The Star will also take much longer to break in than the DX, making the DX even more understable than the Star counterpart.

Not just because of different plastic though. All the star stingrays i have seen are super stingray molds. I have even seen dx rays coming out in the new mold. I would be willing to put money on it they will never be made with the old bottom again.

There are at least three mold variations in star floating around on shelves...and there are some that are actually super stingray molds, too, so shop in person or make a phone call if possible. I'm no longer a fan of star stingrays and have found the Fuse to be a great replacement if you don't mind the deeper rim. They have the understability, the versatility, and the glide that a good ol' dx stingray does. As said, star stingrays are more stable (especially the ones with micro beads) and they just don't float like dx. With time they'll break into something fairly nice, but never quite as nice as dx. I think dx is the way to go if you want a stingray.

I throw a star stingray for mid shots that I need to back off of and throw for accuracy. It's marked (on the bottom) with *ST. It has the microbead that someone mentioned already. I've been throwing it for about 1 1/2 years now and it's just starting to fly like my old dx did when new. It doesn't have he glide that DX does either, which to me, is a good thing. DX sr's are very touchy with even the slightest bit of wind. The star, while still touchy, isn't quite as sensitive. The one I have is a good disc. Great for low powered control shots of just about any shape. It's one of my go-to discs in the woods.

There are at least three mold variations in star floating around on shelves...and there are some that are actually super stingray molds, too, so shop in person or make a phone call if possible. I'm no longer a fan of star stingrays and have found the Fuse to be a great replacement if you don't mind the deeper rim. They have the understability, the versatility, and the glide that a good ol' dx stingray does. As said, star stingrays are more stable (especially the ones with micro beads) and they just don't float like dx. With time they'll break into something fairly nice, but never quite as nice as dx. I think dx is the way to go if you want a stingray.

Agreed. I owned an older (old wing) star Stingray that I really liked, but the Fuse made the disc obsolete for me. It was a great disc, but the Fuse is just better.

I actually prefer the Stingray to the Fuse in a lot of ways, but I want good plastic. The Fuse is excellent once you get to know it, and pick a good one with the level of flippiness that you want. Definitely prefer it over the Stratus, which is also a good Stingray replacement in X plastic.

Agree with Scuddy, too.....star/champ Stingrays are still great discs, they just don't act like they should. I bitched a lot about the star I got last fall which turned out to be a Super mold labeled in disguise, but it's a fantastic straight mid when driven with some power. Not too awfully different than the beaded star regular Stingrays.

I have a gummy star that glides straight forever at lower strength shots.

I carry a Star Stingray and love it for when I need a dead straight tunnel shot. I used to carry a beat dx for anhyzer shots but after I lost the last one I started using a beat dx Shark instead. The star will still hold a good anhyzer line if you really try, but it's just not as naturally gifted as the dx.

stingray

Ive been trying them both out. The star seems to have less turn as my dx has hit a few trees. So the star is a little straighter but the dx is a nice turnover disc. Both are good for annys and my star bombs for a mid. Loving them both atm and am carrying both in the bag.

I once bagged a Star Stingray. It was the Ontario mold with the nose spacer. It flew pretty stable for an understable disc. It turned, but it panned out flat again before landing, maybe even fighting back a bit. It flew beautiful lines and it felt sooo good in the hand. Unfortunately I lost it. I prefer it over the Fuse for sure. Does anybody know if Innova is producing the Ontario mold or is it the Rancho mold?

The Star and DX Stingrays are both in my bag. For me, the Stars are definitely straighter in the high speed part of the flight, with more low speed fade, than a DX. I have about three Stars that I really love, and one that I've been working on for a while. The 4th has a high flashing (I think that's what it is, anyway) and it's even more stable. I've been trying to beat the flash off of it, but might have to manually remove it instead.

I have beaten in one Star to fly like a very lightly seasoned DX. But haven't gotten one to fly anything like a true, beat in, DX. Of course, there are only so many shots that call for the flight of a REALLY beat in DX. :)

If you have a Super Stingray, it won't/shouldn't feel anything like a true Star Stingray in your hand. It's a little deeper, and has a funky "sharp" bottom edge that rubbed me, literally, the wrong way. I had two and they both felt the same. I really wanted to like it, due to my un-natural lover for Stingrays. Ans although the flight was similar to my Buzzzs, it just never felt as good in my hand.