• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Stingray Love

:confused:yes!!! Stingrays are the secret to enjoying the game. sorry I can't help you with your supply chain issue, though

If you ever get frustrated with disc golf (as I often do . . . ) just throw dx stingrays until the frustration eases. DX stingrays are the secret to fun. DX stingrays don't exist so you can rule the world, they exist just to make you smile. They're a better mousetrap.

Ok, why this post?

I usually just go to an online vendor and buy how ever many dx stingrays I need to get free shipping because it's a choice. .. . . . I have money . . .. . it's not a big deal ($50 or so . . .) and a week or so I have more dx stingrays.

Um . .. .. . . . .. so based upon 10min or so of an old guy looking to spend money there aren't any . . .. anywhere . . . . . where my Stingrays at?

FYI you can suggest any/all molds/plastic/manufacturer but I'm not trying to replace dx stingrays, I'm just trying to find them on an e-tailer's shelf . . .. and if they're not there, hope someone knows when they'll arrive.

(I have lots of them stashed in lots of places and can make the wakening without much of an issue . . . .I just like to get another 5 or 10 for the flock every once in a while and exhale. . . . )

did you check walmart

I don't think any Stingrays have been made last year, I have checked myself off and on for much of the year. I would really love a stiffer Champ though I know those haven't been made in forever.

My guess and only a guess is that the mold is retired and now the Manta is suppose to replace it. I had a Star Manta to try out and it was actually a bit beefy. Like 5/3/0/2. Not what I wanted from the flight. Maybe DX Manta? I looked and found some of those in lighter weights, nothing 175 and up. I'm not huge on DX though either, I like my discs to be bagged for years.

Last edited:
Guessing the mold is retired. Haven't seen any recently.

Mantas are pretty stable, even dxs, but they do beat in to mellow gold.

oh for real

wow i did not know that

Innova couldn't keep up with demand at that time like we all know, so maybe their deal with Walmart wasn't a good one so they cut them out. If it was the least profitable it would make sense to dump them and focus on disc golf retailers.

marked as still in production on innova web site

Yeah I don't know what to think. Rhynos have also been hard to find and maybe not produced recently, for a year? I got an F2 Champ from Innova 6 months ago but it was a San Marino so old stock. I ordered a Champ SW and it was also old stock, has Patent Numbers. Whats weird too is that no Rhynos have been made and none were available on Innovas site, then a Champ shows up from old stock and they put it on the website. Like do they have some old dusty room with old discs in it? Seems strange. Not complaining. Just odd how some 5+ year old discs show up out of no where.

.Um . .. .. . . . .. so based upon 10min or so of an old guy looking to spend money there aren't any . . .. anywhere . . . . . where my Stingrays at?

FYI you can suggest any/all molds/plastic/manufacturer but I'm not trying to replace dx stingrays, I'm just trying to find them on an e-tailer's shelf . . .. and if they're not there, hope someone knows when they'll arrive.

(I have lots of them stashed in lots of places and can make the wakening without much of an issue . . . .I just like to get another 5 or 10 for the flock every once in a while and exhale. . . . )

Birdie Disc golf has some custom DX James Proctor Gorilla stamps for 15 dollars a pop https://birdiediscgolfsupply.com/pr...-gorilla-team-run?_pos=1&_sid=3a5b9a2c1&_ss=r

I share your love for the Stingray though and would love to see another stock run

Here to commiserate. I'd also like to get a hold of some backup dx stingrays.

Archer is a wider rim but also a little more blunt. Still very shallow. Archer felt more like a cross between a Stingray and a Leopard.

Similar disc, still quite a bit different.

But ... those aren't DX Stingrays, are they? ;)

Idk your level of sarcasm but no an Archer isn't close to a Stingray. It's a, "Stratus clone" so more similar to an Innova Cobra in flight (beaded Stingray).

Archer is more turn and more fade (like a Cobra) while Stingray is more, "turn and consistently hold the turn or flatten out but not really fade."

Stratus was in my experience more pf a unique turn/fade disc while the Cobra was more of a, :beat Roc with fade somehow" - idk YMMV

I also am down to my last DX Stingray - ace disc.

I've found Lat 64 Fuse and Westside Tursas to fill the gap, and they are both available in baseline plastic.

Can't sat they feel the same in the hand, but the flight characteristics are very close.

Idk your level of sarcasm but no an Archer isn't close to a Stingray. It's a, "Stratus clone" so more similar to an Innova Cobra in flight (beaded Stingray).

Archer is more turn and more fade (like a Cobra) while Stingray is more, "turn and consistently hold the turn or flatten out but not really fade."

Stratus was in my experience more pf a unique turn/fade disc while the Cobra was more of a, :beat Roc with fade somehow" - idk YMMV

Thanks for that. Yes, my comment was all sarcasm but since I've never thrown an Archer or Stratus, I appreciate the flight descriptions.

I'm a DX Stingray fan. I settled on them years ago for the extreme understable slot. I have eight or so as backups so I should be good for while. I used to give them away to new players/kids but will rethink that until a new run comes along.

I've heard good things about Archers ... I might give one a test against my Cobras.

I also am down to my last DX Stingray - ace disc.

I've found Lat 64 Fuse and Westside Tursas to fill the gap, and they are both available in baseline plastic.

Can't sat they feel the same in the hand, but the flight characteristics are very close.

Agree about the Tursas. It's probably as close in feel and flight as you're gonna get

Latest posts