• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Storage like the AX15

Detheos

I'm looking for a backpack style bag. I'm a larger dude, I wear a xxl or xxxl hoodie depending on the brand. If I do wear a hoodie or jacket it usually comes off during the round.

In looking at bags, all online because I live in the Midwest with no dg stores near me. I've noticed the Grip AX15 have nice big and expandable side pockets. I like that about them. I was wondering if there are any other bags with pockets like that? I don't want a Mahal so let's not go there. So are the any other options?

The latitude 64 bag has a good bit more storage than the grip. I've have both, the lat64 has more than I needed actually. In just the top pocket I could fit a 6 pack of bottles and a jacket. If you decide you want one, mine is for sale too.

Also- the side pocket on the grip fits only my large non-hooded sweatshirt when expanded- with almost no room left.

Not sure how big that large non hooded sweatshirt is, but I've fit my xxl cold gear UA hoodie in one of my side pockets with my golden retriever and the extra cordage in it. Several of us posted in this thread reference this. I spoke with grip and they reassured me the bag was developed with an xxl hoodie in mind for those pockets.

I attached a picture of my grip ax15 with that hoodie in it. Again it's a heavier hoodie I wear when it's under 30 degrees and use on backpacking trips. It's snug in there but I'm very particular about wear on my bags, I don't feel this puts the bag at any risk of popping threads or anything, it zipped up without any resistance or without me having to fool with stuffing it more.

The Lat64 bag does have a ton of storage, but to me it carries very uncomfortably. My Grip bag has weighed in heavier than my Lat64 bag fully loaded down with my hoodie, 2 water bottles, stool, 21 discs in main compartment and 4 putters up top, with snacks, tripod, wallet, phone, keys, scorecards, numerous pens/pencils and other misc. crap but it still carries so much better on the shoulders and back.

Attachments

• b2f72611427120a7e03994d25cb3eb3b.jpg
    b2f72611427120a7e03994d25cb3eb3b.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 56
It is a puffy cotton sweatshirt- definitely not performance fabric of any kind. There is a little room left too, just not a significant amount.

What I like better about the grip is the balance. Since the storage is on the sides, and the pockets carry most of the weight in the bottom, it sits more securely on the ground. I think the ergonomics on both bags are good, just different. The grip places more of the weight on the lower back, and the lat bag keeps it higher. I think it would be personal preference in that area.

Latest posts