• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stove Top Alternatives?

jaj040

Bogey Member
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and looking to try my hand at dyeing soon. Unfortunately, dorm rooms don't come with stove of my very own. So I'm looking to tap into the vast wealth of knowledge that is this forum and ask for your techniques for dyeing that don't use a stove. I've heard of microwaving the dye, painting on acetone and Rit, cold dips, etc. I just want your opinions on what method gives the best results and other tips that will be helpful. I've done a lot of reading/researching on dyeing and feel that I should be able to make a good attempt at it (knock on wood). Thanks in advance.

-Jake

as a former RA, I should not be recommending this as it is probably against Department of Student Housing Policy...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...00000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=5871070

stove top is the best method, but IF you insist try this...

If you insist on not using stovetops, then try boiling water first and then adding dye, working quickly to set the disc down ontop of the water before the mix cools. Be careful when trying to heat dye mix in the microwave, bad fumes and stuff.

I am new to dyeing also, and I have been using the microwave method. I have two 9 inch round cake pans that I use. I microwave the dye for 2 minutes in 20 oz containers then pour them into the cake pans in my sink. That way I don't drip it anywhere. While one color is finishing setting, I prepare the next color in the other side of the sink.

My dyes are turning out pretty good, but I wonder if the colors would be more vibrant if I heated the pans.

I have a double burner, electic one. I use it in my garage, the lady'd be PISSED if I had a "jon moment" and dumped the dye on her kitchen floor. Works just fine. Can find 'em on ebay for just a few bux.

You can just use really hot tap water...takes a few minutes longer.

I've also seen people just use liquid dye and drop it right in the holes on the vinyl...

\/\/

Thanks for all the replies! A hot plate would be against residence hall rules, but I think that I could be safe enough (and sneaky enough) to give it a try.

I use a baby bottle sanitizer that's made for use in the microwave I found at Goodwill for 3 bucks. I store my colors in 32oz Mason jars. A full jar goes in for five minutes (YMMV). That's enough to allow for around fifteen minutes of soak. I do cover my dye area with saran wrap before dyeing just to be safe though.

I'm no dye pro, but I don't think you really need to heat the dye...

Mix your powdered dye with water and about a third as much acetone. The acetone will help soak the dye in to the disk. Probably not the best in the dorms, but there's no rules against fumes, right?

Also, in before 'this doesn't work.' I've done this, and worked just fine for me.

Latest posts