• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Switch discs or stick with your "normal"

It seems like you were probably fatigued on Sunday from all the throws the previous two days.

It seems like you were probably fatigued on Sunday from all the throws the previous two days.

Oh most definitely, although I wasn't really feeling it. I've hardly thrown at all in the last couple months and I was 1/2 expecting super bad rounds and something closer to 300' max distance. Other times i've not been able to throw but spending time on here and doing some of the form drills I head to the course thinking i'm ready to throw huge lazer straight bombs and I end up with horrible results. This time was different I threw great on Friday, but started to feel it on the last three holes, where 18 longest hole on the course was my lone bogey. Still my best round at -3.

So I went out on Saturday morning thinking about how bad I threw on 16,17,18 but surprised myself with just terrific shots. Had some early tree hate and unfortunate skip OB that kept it from being a great score, BUT my good throws were really good no feeling of fatigue and then to cap off the round as I said in the OP my throw on 18 was probably the longest i've ever thrown a disc (not counting some huge griplocks that turned 90 degrees from target and glided down hill over about a 80' elevation change). Not sure how to measure the distance in that it is a 400' hole but starts pretty steep uphill and the basket is then on a flat area ?30-40'? higher than the tee. What feels like a 350' drive will still leave you over 100' from the basket. I was inside the circle, my only other birdie on that hole was at least 1/2 luck from about 150' out. SO... I carried that feeling into Sunday... but even though I didn't feel fatigued you are right i'm sure I was.

What I got from this thread though, was that rather than disc up from Claymore/EmacTruth to Teebird or River I probably should have disced down to Envy/Proxy and really concentrated on easy lines rather than try and push to the basket. Rationally it makes perfect sense. But ego or pride or self competition... whatever it was.

I throw lots of different discs and lines during practice.

But I never throw a shot on a course I've played, if I haven't practiced it before (not counting rescue shots of course).

I convert to champion plastic in speeds 4 & up for night golf due to better transparency/light but the handful I swap out fly the same as their replacements.

My bag has been the exact same for the past year with no mold changes at all, but even in my home course where I play about half my rounds I will do some different things.

Part of this is due to my game improving. My FH is very strong and used to be far better than my BH. So I would FH drive on 14 of the 18 holes, even if it might not be the best option. Now I BH drive on 12 holes becuase it's a better line and now I can hit it.

If conditions change though you have to know your bag well enough to counter that.

I know you shouldn't speak in absolutes but:

Never have a certain disc for a certain hole. Always visualize shots. You can make lots of discs hit a shot.

Meh

I get the point but this isn't very realistic.

One local course I've played a couple hundred times has holes that I always use a specific disc. I've tried enough over the years to know what disc gives me the highest birdie %.

Meh

I get the point but this isn't very realistic.

One local course I've played a couple hundred times has holes that I always use a specific disc. I've tried enough over the years to know what disc gives me the highest birdie %.

Meh to you too, good sir.

The point is only based in realism and experience. Discs are lost, wind and weather conditions change, trees fall, etc. A home course, or one played often enough, is more reliant on muscle memory than shot visualizing. You have already made the decision before you step to the tee. On my home course, yes, I have my go to's. I also have plenty of other options for an equal percentage of birdies.

In order to become a well rounded golfer one should be able to make any disc work for them. The crux of my point is: learn to make the disc do what you want and you become master of your tools.

Meeeeeeh

I have a disc that works and produces a higher % of birdies. There's no need to make another disc work. I use the right tool for the job. No need to hammer a nail with a saw when I have a hammer.

Meh to you too, good sir.

The point is only based in realism and experience. Discs are lost, wind and weather conditions change, trees fall, etc. A home course, or one played often enough, is more reliant on muscle memory than shot visualizing. You have already made the decision before you step to the tee. On my home course, yes, I have my go to's. I also have plenty of other options for an equal percentage of birdies.

In order to become a well rounded golfer one should be able to make any disc work for them. The crux of my point is: learn to make the disc do what you want and you become master of your tools.

In theory, I agree with this.

Meeeeeeh

I have a disc that works and produces a higher % of birdies. There's no need to make another disc work. I use the right tool for the job. No need to hammer a nail with a saw when I have a hammer.

In practice I agree with this. Both are reasonable arguments and made me think about what I do on the course.

Meeeeeeh

I wish I had another subtly deprecating onomatopoeia to respond with.
I would not pound a nail with a saw nor would I tee off with a baseball.
Perhaps if your other options were practiced more your birdie percentage would go up?
Knowing a certain hole and birdie percentage on it requires repetition. How would you handle said hole with the addition of a 15mph headwind? How would you approach a shot you haven't thrown before? I would guess that you would asses all options and then throw the best one.

Given a hole one knows well in consistent conditions, yes, the go to disc reliant on muscle memory is the best shot. This is a specific situation. I am speaking in generality. A well rounded golfer will execute the best option before them and put A disc on that line, not THE disc. A well rounded carpenter can pound a nail with a ball peen, claw, or sledge hammer.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

More carpenter analogies plz

No need for you to worry about my birdie % dog. I'm good.

*couldn't care less

If you could care less it implies you have some level of concern for me. I'm touched :O

I actually don't think we are that far apart in our opinions. asromatifoso sums it up pretty well.

*couldn't care less

If you could care less it implies you have some level of concern for me. I'm touched :O

I actually don't think we are that far apart in our opinions. asromatifoso sums it up pretty well.

Correct. If I couldn't care less I wouldn't have posted.:hfive:

I keep coming back to see if we would finally agree to agree.

Bros, you are both making valid points. On one hand, there is certainly a reason to throw a certain disc on a certain hole even if you could make *any* disc work. The reason the pros throw certain discs is because their percentages are better. I'm sure they could make almost any disc work, but for any specific shot there is a disc that minimizes error. That said, there is also a lot to be said for understanding how all your discs fly at different power levels and different release angles.

If you have a sleepover I'd love to be there!

Former carpenter here. I used to hammer nails all day. Then I bought a nail gun. So much easier. And then I even started using wood screws. Sometimes, I didn't even use fasteners. Just glue.

Good subject matter because we all have our days. Sometimes it can be beneficial to use a different mold or line and sometimes not. Disc golf is such a great game because of these sort of conundrums.

As someone who is newer and still working on consistency, I know that some days certain discs will be a bit much for me and will act really overstable, but other days when everything is coming together better those same discs will fly closer to their flight ratings. Depending on my level of noodley arm that day, I'll change my disc choices accordingly.