• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Team Craig gets 4th in Ace Race

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
We played our Ace Race today at Oregon Park in GA. Our team consisted of CraigD, his brother, his son, ATL Scott, his bro, my wife and I...we were supposed to have 8 person teams and shorted ourselves like sillyheads.

The club did lots of side action including a women's winner and team winners.

Our team scored 3 aces and 12 metal hits...my wife hit 1 ace and 6 metals on her own!! The overall winner had 2 and 6...she almost took the whole shebang! Women's winner had 2 and 3 I believe.

Craig's son had 2 awesome metal hits that should've stayed in but somehow didn't.

I hit metal once. :eek:

Aces were CraigD, ChristyB, and Ardee (Craig's brother).

It was a good time and we are already looking forward to doing it again.

:eek:

The club provided lunch and a butt-ton of extra prizes...it was well worth the entry fee.

Congrats I guess our team finished just in front of you guys. We had 4 aces and 10 or 11 metals. We really lucked out though, the team hit 3 aces in the last 3 holes.

I was pretty sure at the start that a woman was going to win the whole thing. Most women that I have played with actually have a better putt and approach game than the average male. Also I think the pink tees were kind of insulting on some of the shorter holes. I mean do you really need to shorten a 45 foot hole to 30 feet. Although I can definitely see the need to shorten a couple of the longer ones.

Last edited:
Yeah the shorter ones didn't really need shortened tees for women, but it does seem to have made things pretty "even." My team also had 4 aces and about 9 metal hits. Funny thing is the winning team had 6 aces in the first round and none in the second, but nobody caught up. It certainly was a lot of fun, and we got LOTS of schwag for our entry fee. :D

Now I know Craigd and Scott, and I met Bill and Christy yesterday, but who is darktoaster? Do I know you and just haven't matched your real name to your alias? :confused:

Yeah it was really fun. Well worth the $. Congrats to lewis for hitting TWO aces yesterday as well. Not too shabby.

I also wonder who Darktoaster is. We need a Atlanta DGCR tourney so we can meet each other.

Who wants to try to head that up?

Yeah it was really fun. Well worth the $. Congrats to lewis for hitting TWO aces yesterday as well. Not too shabby.

I also wonder who Darktoaster is. We need a Atlanta DGCR tourney so we can meet each other.

Who wants to try to head that up?

I nominate Craig D, but maybe we should make some posts in our social thread? :D

Yeah Craig, you should know pretty well about getting volunteered (ohhh captain!).

I agree about the pink tees too but I won't take away from her awesomeness....she pretty much carried our team. Next year we should get 2 chicks.

It was nice meeting everyone that I met.

There was a team of 4 "chicks" ... er... Ladies that competed pretty well against the teams of 7 and 8. I can't remember what their final total was, but one of them came in second overall for the event with 2 aces and 3 metals. Her dad is one of the club's TDs, so I joked with him that he can never again give her putting advice. He replied that he hasn't given her any putting advice in about 4 years. :D

We will snag you next time too....hopefully next year the disc will be more compatible with uh.....throwing?

We will snag you next time too....hopefully next year the disc will be more compatible with uh.....throwing?

I didn't mind it so much. It does have a frustrating quality of only fading when you don't want it to. It seems very responsive to spin, but I get the feeling it will make a serviceable putter. It does seem very much like a Gateway putter in shape, perhaps a Wizard or maybe a Voodoo with a bigger bead. I was surprised at how much glide they've got.

I think the spin is the factor that makes it fade or not.

Near the end I was doing well throwing it forehand but I couldn't get the height under control so I zoomed over the basket quite a few times.

If you throw it without a lot of spin it seemed to fade well...the hard part was getting the amount of spin under control...that and not trying to account for fade it didn't have.

That agrees with my experience. There was a guy in my group who kept throwing it forehand, but leaving it way to the left because his brain was automatically correcting for the fade that wasn't there. :|

Yeah thats how I started (except right) but near the end I was sailing straight over the top of it or slightly right. Dirty non-fader.