• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

teebird complement?

Some people sure make some wild off the wall suggestions, and then we run into the people just throwing out OS Drivers of similar speed. Worst suggestions are the ones telling you to search for the more rare and expensive TeeBirds.

I have never thrown a Star TeeBird, but I like Champs, only ones I've thrown. If you like the TeeBird and want to stay in that speed range, first thing I would try is a heavy Champ TeeBird+. It's about all I typically need in the wind.

Are you hinting around the bush at me Sir? I was trying to suggest he go with the same disc but a different run. If the disc would work better for him price should not matter. That's like looking at a set of golf clubs....getting fitted by a pro and finding that exact perfect match and then choosing to go with knock-offs right off the rack. I'm sure someone has deal/trade they could throw his way so he doesn't have to pay top dollar.

Well, to fairly clear thinking people, price and availability do matter when it comes to items that get beat up and/or lost. Why would somebody want to hunt down, older, rarer, more expensive discs, when there are plenty of current made discs that fit a need? He can find something he wants and stock up on a few of them much much cheaper and easier than he can 11x or older TeeBirds.

Besides, the three or four 11x and older Champ/KC Pro TeeBirds I've thrown all fly more like my broken in Champ Leopard than what I want a TeeBird to fly like.

My first thought would be to try a Glo Champ Teebird. Mine seems to fly exactly like what you're looking for. I briefly used a super flat GL Striker (2009 Worlds, 1st run I think?) but decided I liked the stamp too much and heard that they are unlike other Strikers. I've also recently been tyring out a Glo Stalker I got that seems to be different than any other Z Stalker I have thrown. Dead straight with healthy fade.

Rereading your post, I would say the Glo Teebird holds up to the wind the best of those, even though the flights are practically identical in little to no wind.

~Avenger. A little faster but still has that wonderful HSS coupled with dependable fade. I'm currently cycling X-Avengers.

~Predator. Not as fast as the Avenger but has a straight flight with strong fade at the end. I prefer the yellow old Z Preds myself.

Some people sure make some wild off the wall suggestions, and then we run into the people just throwing out OS Drivers of similar speed. Worst suggestions are the ones telling you to search for the more rare and expensive TeeBirds.

I have never thrown a Star TeeBird, but I like Champs, only ones I've thrown. If you like the TeeBird and want to stay in that speed range, first thing I would try is a heavy Champ TeeBird+. It's about all I typically need in the wind.

Oddly though, an 11x Champ Teebird sounds like exactly what he's looking for. The problem with current 12x Champ Teebirds is that they are not good into anything over a 10 mph (or maybe even less) headwind. They will turn over and not come back. The 11x has a much sharper fade at the end and they're not that rare. Here's one on ebay for 14 bucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Dye-11x...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a703a59d8#ht_500wt_898

Although, admittedly, I haven't thrown the + mold. Is that more overstable than the regular ones?

Last edited:
lot of auction left there. we should follow it and see what it ends up selling for.

champ glow teebird+'s are definitely awesome too

And even though I said what I said before, I too prefer production runs over OOP discs. It just sounds like the 11x Champ Teebird fits the flight pattern he wants. The S-PD is a good 2nd choice I suppose, however it will turn into a ~10 mph headwind, but it will come back near the end unlike a 12x Teebird. A Starfire might also be a good choice. It's seems quite a bit faster though, but is definitely beefier than the aforementioned discs. Not a fan of it myself.

The S-PD is a good 2nd choice I suppose, however it will turn into a ~10 mph headwind, but it will come back near the end unlike a 12x Teebird.

Unless you are going for 360'+ the SPD should not flip up or turn at all into a 10mph headwind. And if you are going for 360'+ into a 10mph headwind all you have to do is add a slight bit of hyzer to your release and it doesn't turn at all. I'm talking a run of the mill 175g SPD (normal dome)...It's not too hard to find beefier S or CPDs that can take just about any wind.

Unless you are going for 360'+ the SPD should not flip up or turn at all into a 10mph headwind. And if you are going for 360'+ into a 10mph headwind all you have to do is add a slight bit of hyzer to your release and it doesn't turn at all. I'm talking a run of the mill 175g SPD (normal dome)...It's not too hard to find beefier S or CPDs that can take just about any wind.

Yeah, I guess I'm judging off of my beat-in SPD compared to a newer one. Maybe it's time for me to put my fresh one in the bag...

Well I ordered a glow champ teebird plus, and a champ starfire. Im not a fan of ebay so if you know a disc site that has some new 11x teebirds I will appreciate it.

Side note: when I first started playing I had a 11xbarstamp teebird max weight but it was too much for me then so I gave it away...I am still pissed at myself for that.

Oddly though, an 11x Champ Teebird sounds like exactly what he's looking for. The problem with current 12x Champ Teebirds is that they are not good into anything over a 10 mph (or maybe even less) headwind. They will turn over and not come back. The 11x has a much sharper fade at the end and they're not that rare. Here's one on ebay for 14 bucks:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fly-Dye-11x...aultDomain_0&hash=item3a703a59d8#ht_500wt_898

Although, admittedly, I haven't thrown the + mold. Is that more overstable than the regular ones?

My newer run TeeBirds will certainly hold up to a decent head wind. The TeeBird+ to me is quite a bit more OS than the TeeBird, yet it's the same disc essentially. That's one reason I like to recommend it to somebody wanting a little more OS than a TeeBird.

Thank for the advice guys, got a champ starfie and champ teebird plus, diggin the starfire alot

So im looking for something with a hard[er] fade than a teebird but just as straight.

Although I throw Teebirds for no fade, I would normally suggest an Eagle-X, but

The eagle has a bit too much turn before it fades hard

In this case, maybe pair a DX Teebird with a max weight Champ Teebird for a harder fade. It sure will have less turn than an Eagle-X and fades pretty well.

This is assuming you were throwing a Champ Eagle-X that turned too much. If not, try it in Champion for a good pair. Champ EXes are many players' goto driver for lots of very good reasons... and if a Champ EX is fading hard, I wouldn't suggest a Firebird/Predator, no matter how beat it is.

Slower than a firebird? At least as much turn resistance as a teebird but more fade than a teebird?

I presently am using an FL as something between a teebird and firebird. But that's probqbly faqster than you want.

If you want a smaller rim and/or slower disc, champ or glow whippet comes to mind. The glow ones are domier, so they have more glide but are just as stable as the champ ones. Some people prefer the champ ones because they like the flatter feel. If you have trouble finding one, maybe try a trident. I haven't thrown one, but they seem to be charted about the same as the whippet.

Latest posts