• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2014 Memorial Championship

Recap of reasons for 1100 rounds at Memorial
http://www.pdga.com/why-so-many-1100s-at-memorial

Wind at the Memorial might impact the number of 1100 rounds in the following way. No wind will make the course easier for the lower rated players with fewer OBs making it more difficult for the top players to get extremely high ratings. Some wind maybe in the 10-20mph range might produce the most 1100 rated rounds because the lower rated players can't keep it inbounds and boosts the SSA. More than 20mph winds might reduce any chance of an 1100 round because it's too tough for everyone and the top guys get more OBs.

Do you think there may be slope on the courses used for the memorial?

Recap of reasons for 1100 rounds at Memorial
http://www.pdga.com/why-so-many-1100s-at-memorial

Wind at the Memorial might impact the number of 1100 rounds in the following way. No wind will make the course easier for the lower rated players with fewer OBs making it more difficult for the top players to get extremely high ratings. Some wind maybe in the 10-20mph range might produce the most 1100 rated rounds because the lower rated players can't keep it inbounds and boosts the SSA. More than 20mph winds might reduce any chance of an 1100 round because it's too tough for everyone and the top guys get more OBs.

That was an interesting read. I don't think we'll ever get away from the "ratings inflation" debate though. Too many people will believe it no matter what.

Here's a question though. Do the fact that we have more players at the "ceiling" mean that there are more ratings to get averaged, which then will raise (inflate) the ratings from the rounds?

It still doesn't matter if there are more or less players at the ceiling. The expectation is that players will average their rating so whatever rating they "contribute" as propagators that would on average expect to receive. The problem as noted in my article is that the nature of the Memorial courses and event timing seem to produce a disparity of scores with some groups winning and other losing in the averages more than normal.

Those arguments made a lot of sense. Especially for us Northerners coming down.

It might just be an imaginary trend, but I feel like the top players average higher ratings when there are more of them grouped together then compared to tournaments where there might just be one or two really highly rated players. Is this something you can easily compute statistically?

I just think the course is set up to reward great shots and punish avg and poor ones. Thus the best players outdistance themselves even greater then normal.

any scores coming in yet?

Just checked the live scoring at pdga.com and nothing yet. The big boys don't tee off for a couple hours still.

I'm not sure why they haven't posted the morning scores yet.

It still doesn't matter if there are more or less players at the ceiling. The expectation is that players will average their rating so whatever rating they "contribute" as propagators that would on average expect to receive. The problem as noted in my article is that the nature of the Memorial courses and event timing seem to produce a disparity of scores with some groups winning and other losing in the averages more than normal.

This is really suggesting, though, that fundamentally the relationship between player skill (measured as rating) and round score is not linear. In general, it may be so close to linear as to be ignorable or only mildly inaccurate, but for specific courses and layouts it becomes more obvious. Has anyone ever proposed some kind of quadratic or maybe logarithmic fit?

@Jpitt29, if, as mentioned above, the underlying relationship between rating and round score isn't linear, the presence of a high volume of top-rated players could make this trend more obvious than it might otherwise be.

Wow, I knew about that but didn't figure out the time=groups thing. I'll just duck into the shadows now.

and the memorial update is....everyone is even. Amazing!

According to PDGALive twitter, here are some FPO scores:

Hokom 68
Weese 65
Dorries 61
Jenkins 59
Pierce 55
Allen 52

Strong start to the season for Catrina between this round and her GCC performance.

According to PDGALive twitter, here are some FPO scores:

Hokom 68
Weese 65
Dorries 61
Jenkins 59
Pierce 55
Allen 52

Strong start to the season for Catrina between this round and her GCC performance.

who's weese? i've never heard of her before last weekend.

would be nice to know some MPM scores

Latest posts