• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Black Diamond Classic @ Emery Park PDGA C Tier

Day 1 is over, I got my arse handed to me round one, the course wasn't exactly what I expected somehow, but I held close to last place, I finished last in round 1 by 2 strokes.

Not Complaining.

Then we broke for lunch and played 9 holes, the intermediates played the back 9. Allow me to demonstrate the improvement:

Black Diamond is a par 70 course, and that's no bullsnot. This course is long and big and hard. It's 36 on the front 9 and 34 on the back 9.

Round 1? I shot a 94...3 OB strokes and ruining my overhead disc halfway through REALLY didn't help on top of the never having played there, or a course even remotely as difficult...and it being my first tourney round ever. I honestly felt okay about a 94, I knew it was bad but I didn't realize exactly HOW bad (I was 2 strokes behind another player and 6 behind the next and 11 behind the other guy on my second card) A lot of 80-82 shot that round.

On the back 9 for my second round? I shot a 36. Yeah. That's a lot better.

I don't know how well I'm doing compared to the rest of the pack, but I caught up with the other guys on the card, and there's a guy behind me by 6 strokes now.

If I get dead last...meh, who cares? I still had fun.

Now the real issue is...how do I kill myself at the course all day tomorrow, drive home..and then work all night!?!?!?

\/\/

Full Recap

First and foremost Thank you to all who came out and played this weekend, and all of the sponsors who made it possible!

Before I continue with the info, I would like to give one last thanks to those sponsors! I could not have done this tourney without them, and for that I am forever grateful! We had great pizza for lunch on Sunday. And all of the prizes and side games and food was made possible because of all of the sponsorship by the following:

1 Chad Adams & Melissa Deeds
2 Drastic Plastic
3 Diesel Dawg / Caddy Daddy
4 Dave Lehsten
5 Shooter
6 Bryan and Vinnie Kuhns
7 Lucky Dawg / Diesel Dawg
8 Grip 'N Rip Discs
9 John and Eileen Mikulec
10 Discology 101
11 Sanchez
12 Hugh T Perkins
13 Bill Merkle
14 Chris Free
15 Pauly O, Jeff Bunk
16Glass America for all of your Auto Glass Needs!
17 Mark Bigaj
18 Scott and Carol Alex

John and Eileen and Scott and Carol, I wish you guys could have been there! I do have both of your sponsor signs that I will get to you the next time I see you guys.

OK, Now on to the Details.

Divisions:

Open and masters played Gold -Bluee- Gold
Advanced Played Blu- White- Blue
And Advanced Ladies and Intermediate played White - red - white

This tourney was a heck of a battle in all divisions! None more so then in the open division, where after 3 rounds at Emery There was a tie for first place with a score of 211! Billy Sivils ended up winning the playoff for the trophy against Troy Widen on hole 14! Pretty exciting stuff!

And Ryan Reid's First round deserves mentioning again! He now holds the course record from the gold tees with a 68!!!!! The next best round from the Golds was a 71 by Mike Broderick!

The Master division saw Pauly O come in First place with a score of 248, with Mark Morris in second place.

In the advanced division Dan Sweeney Edged out Jim Merrriman (who played in his first organized Disc golf Function) For first place and the trophy by ONE stroke! 201 vs 202!

The advanced ladies division saw Mary O coming in first place ahead of Heather Gauda with scores of 251, and 254 respectively.

The Intermediate division saw Will Sundown (189) win by a commanding 10 strokes over Matt Nichter (199) and Mark kistner (204). I am pretty sure the entire Intermediate field has a new respect for the Red tees, Most people severely underestimated the challenge involved with that set of tees. I invite anyone to try out the Reds for a very different and fun look at the course. I would be remiss if I did not mention that the best round from the Res tees was thrown by Bryan Kuhns with a score of 58!!!!

Great Job Everyone!

The full results can be found at either http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=10065 or at www.bit.ly/BDCresults The second link also includes the full scoring sheet for the tourney, as well as average scores per hole per round which is really interesting to look at. For instance The average score on Hole one in the first round from the gold tees was 6 and in the third round it was 6.13. or that the average score for the open player in round one was 77.75 and in the third round it was 80.2. Check out some of the info. It is super interesting! It really begs the question whether Par needs to be raised.

The PDGA link unfortunately does not include round ratings. I was told by Karolyn O'Cull that the round ratings would not available till the next ratings update on June 22nd. I am so curious to see what some of them will be!

There were a ton of side activities going on this weekend as well.

First off Sanchez won the play off for the Ace Pool taking $92!

Billy Sivils sank a good 150 footer for the throw off for the portable basket we gave away!

I ran a side game of hidden Diamond Cards. There were 15 cards hidden through out the course and 9 of them were retrieved throughout the weekend. Each one was redeemed for a choice of item from the merch/prize table!

The CTPs were run as follows"

Hole 3
I: Rob Ziehm
AW: Melissa Deeds
A:Kyle Bridwell
M: Mark Morris
O: Sam C

Hole 9
I: Pat McAndrew
AW: Cae Morris
A: Jim Merriman
M:paul O
O:Sam C

Hole 10
I: Sanchez
Aw:Heather G
A: Vinyard
M: Paul O
O: Bobby Jones

Hole 13
I: Will Sundown
AW:Mary O
A: Jim Merriman
M: Mark Morris
O: Billy Sivils

Next we also had The Longest Drive Competition Which was a TON of fun to watch! The longest male drive and female drive of the day each received a longest drive trophy, The winners of each division received a crisp $20 bill with the placing positions each getting choice of merch/ prize

The results are

Intermediate
1st Place Will Sundown - 140 yards
2nd place Justin Dries - 128 Yards
3rd Place Bill Merkle - 110 Yards

Advanced Ladies
1st Place Cae Morris -78 Yards
2nd place Mary O - 71 Yards

Advanced Division
1st place Jim Merriman - 140 Yards
2nd place Curtis Dorian - 133 Yards
3rd place Vinnie Kuhns - 131 Yards

Open Masters
1st place Mark Morris - 115 Yards
2nd place Paul Okeefe - 110 Yards

Open Men
1st place Bobby Jones - 150 Yards
2nd place Mike Broderick - 129 Yards
3rd place Billy Sivils - 127 Yards

Thanks to all who came out, and all who helped make it possible! I hope to see you all again out there next year when we will be back bigger, better and more knowledgeable than this year!

Thanks again!

Chad, it was a FANTASTIC Event, and I'm really glad I was a part of it.

I know that I for one really underestimated exactly how grueling the course would be! (I have empty bottles of pain killers, used ACE Bandages and Broken discs to prove it)

I'm in love with the course, and I can't thank you enough for all you've done for the place. I heard rumblings of putting cement on the Golds and Whites sometime after the Beachwood, I'd love to help out.

I'm really looking forward to resting up and getting back out there and playing some more, there are a great variety of lines to be played and 3 competitive rounds just simply isn't enough time to figure out all the best routes.

Once again, thanks for the course, thanks for the tourney, and I'll be back.

\/\/

Aww Crap! You know what this means don't you? Now I have the necessary information to put those rounds in my scorebook...sonofa....

\/\/