• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any dyer on here has ripped a band logo, skateboard, beverage, sport, team, etc. They just look sweet on discs! Its the only legal way to show who you are on your plastic.
Unless your selling a boatload of dyes to make big cash on someone else's logo, you'll be fine. I realize my avatar Dead disc is copyrighted, but it sure is a sweet dye, and I'm not rolling in wads of cash from it, which is all the lawyers care about anyway.
Hit ebay up and look at all the PinkFloyd prism discs. Or the Dead stencils. Did anyone copright the mudflap chick silhouette? Bank there too!

Crystal Nuke I did for my buddy.

If you haven't seen one of these yet they look cool. They have the armageddon stamp on the bottom which I left on.

IMAG0208.jpg

Nice work again Phil!

This broke my heart. I put a lot of work into this and my goof off caused the dye to run. I had already cold rinsed and put this thing in the freezer, and it was prime for cleaning.

ESP Buzz

DSCF1705.jpg

:( That makes me a sad panda.

So wait, your Goof-Off caused that blur? Was that after you allowed the dye to "cure" in the freezer? I use the same product for stamp/adhesive removal, should I be worried its gonna blur my discs?

This broke my heart. I put a lot of work into this and my goof off caused the dye to run. I had already cold rinsed and put this thing in the freezer, and it was prime for cleaning.

ESP Buzz

DSCF1705.jpg

White 172 Elite X XL

I still like it. i probably wouldn't have noticed the blur if you didn't point it out.

Any dyer on here has ripped a band logo, skateboard, beverage, sport, team, etc. They just look sweet on discs! Its the only legal way to show who you are on your plastic.
Unless your selling a boatload of dyes to make big cash on someone else's logo, you'll be fine. I realize my avatar Dead disc is copyrighted, but it sure is a sweet dye, and I'm not rolling in wads of cash from it, which is all the lawyers care about anyway.
Hit ebay up and look at all the PinkFloyd prism discs. Or the Dead stencils. Did anyone copright the mudflap chick silhouette? Bank there too!

I'll easily admit to this. I couldn't agree more. :thmbup:

:( That makes me a sad panda.

So wait, your Goof-Off caused that blur? Was that after you allowed the dye to "cure" in the freezer? I use the same product for stamp/adhesive removal, should I be worried its gonna blur my discs?

Yeah I had cured this in the freezer and just removed all the vinyl so the disc was back at almost room temperature but still cool to the touch. I typically dye 2 - 4 discs at a time so I can get all my orders out as quickly as possible. On this occasion I had 2 on the stove and 2 coming out of the freezer. I typically will direct spray onto the disc and let it sit for about 20 seconds so as to break up the vinyl adhesive a bit. I got involved with removing the vinyl from another disc for about 2 minutes and looked over to see the dye starting to blur on the Ramones disc. I blotted it up as best I could and did some light blotting with acetone to keep it from being too dark but the damage was done. ESP and Pro seems to be more prone to this so in the future I will no longer direct spray those plastics. If anyone has a better technique I am open to it although this is really the first time it has really happened this badly.

BTW Scarwig PM'd me and we're cool now. I think we were both mis-reading each other's posts which happens sometimes. It's hard sometimes to decipher intent on forum posts.

I'll be doing some more dyes tonight to stock up for our local New Years Day Tourney. If I have any left I'll post them in The Marketplace.

...If anyone has a better technique I am open to it although this is really the first time it has really happened this badly.

Yea, that has happened to me too, and probably a lot of others. Goof Off is like half acetone, so it'll cause the disc to bleed.
Goo Gone works great though and won't cause any bleeding (well maybe if you leave it on for a long while), even within minutes of taking it out of the dye. Plus I enjoy the scent.

Yea, that has happened to me too, and probably a lot of others. Goof Off is like half acetone, so it'll cause the disc to bleed.
Goo Gone works great though and won't cause any bleeding (well maybe if you leave it on for a long while), even within minutes of taking it out of the dye. Plus I enjoy the scent.

I never knew a DG'r that likes to huff lol. I always thought we were white college kids that smoked pot. lol

I just realized it was Goo Gone. I don't know why I said goof off. Either way I used the orange crap in the clear bottle.

I would guess the propellant in the spray is the culprit. Anyone have any trouble with the regular squeeze bottle?

Just finished this one...thought it might bleed around the ghost stamp but it actually didn't...

1st run zxtreme

whatchu think
picture.php

I have a question.

How do you guys get your stencils centered so perfectly? Its easy on translucent plastic, but on an opaque disc it still feels like guesswork to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts