• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
last nite's fun, cubes in my crop circles!
redznukesDSC_7101.jpg

NoThingess posted this in the Future Dyes thread
"If you like geometric shapes and patterns be sure to check http://cropcircle-archive.com/archive/index.php for a huge archive of crop circles for the past century or so. There are some good stencil ideas here."
Dan, You just keep on Keep'n On

Pure ~AWESOMENESS~

:hfive:

my most recent

stained glass on a LAT64 halo
jawa jedi on an ion
darth yoda on a star destroyer

Attachments

• stained glass cross crown.jpg
    stained glass cross crown.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 102
  • jawa ion.jpg
    jawa ion.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 101
  • darth yoda 2.jpg
    darth yoda 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 105
jawaion.jpg

marbling, airbrushing, stencil, all came out great! Way to dig into the tool box!

Last edited:
DiscsPC044.jpg

The back of a Buzzz ESP FLX

DiscsPC045.jpg

Just messin around

DiscsPC028.jpg

DiscsPC027.jpg

I wrote my name on when I bought the disc, Didnt know I was going to dye it.

Those were the first discs I did with vinyl. Im still kinda feeling my way around a little bit with the dye mix, Time, Temperature and making sure the vinyl is burnished down really good. I searched for a list of plastics that are the best or the worst for dying but couldnt find it, Point me the way if ya can, Thanks.

Last edited:
I just have to say thanks to everyone who has been posting in here, sharing their art.
I really enjoy it and check it out almost every day.
I have a question, though, and it is this:
Does anyone else find it hard to justify doing a really intricate, time consuming dye job?
Or am I the only lazy slacker out there.
Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful works of art, but in 9 to 12 months aren't they (especially the highly detailed ones) going to look like fuzzy blobs?
I'm aware some plastics hold sharp lines longer, but it still hangs me up that after a year or two my art would be gone and all the time spent, cutting and dipping them, wasted.
Sorry to go off topic; I think I am just lazy.

I searched for a list of plastics that are the best or the worst for dying but couldnt find it, Point me the way if ya can, Thanks.

I find Opto and GL to dye nicely. And fly nicely, too.
Champ = good
Star = good
dx = bad
I think most baseline plastic is hard to dye, if not impossible.

here today, gone tomorrow...
sidewalk chalk art, bubbles, love notes from your favorite skywriter, the best downtown graffiti...
Dude I hate to tell ya but someday even the Mona Lisa is gonna be a fuzzy blob.

Me, I do it because I enjoy the whole process of creation, and I really do believe my dyed plastic flies better, it is filled with my creative energy!

Besides I'll probably lose it before it's a fuzzy blob...

sidewalk chalk art, bubbles, love notes from your favorite skywriter, the best downtown graffiti...

Me, I do it because I enjoy the whole process of creation, and I really do believe my dyed plastic flies better, it is filled with my creative energy!

Fuzzy blob! Nooooooo...

I'll go with Dan, it's about the process
it's also impressive when everything in your bag is dyed, I know it's started more conversations than anything, including my xsoft Vibram putter

I also try to do enough for friends for a few $ that it pays for my costs, at least that's the goal, don't care to make money, just want to offset my addiction to dyeing and flying. :D

^^^^Well said.

I start a picture and I finish it. I don't think about art while I work. I try to think about life.---SAMO

It's about the experience of creating, not how it ends up looking in 3 weeks/months/years. Plus it's a bonus to give someone something they dig.... even if it looks good for only a short time.

i'm practicing on baseline plastic right now before i start on champ, Z & gold line

the WORST so far was a lightning disc, #3 slice, 'standard' plastic. 20 hours soaked in black dye only lightly tinted the disc brownish. no kidding

but im getting the practice i need dorking up my crap discs

Those were the first discs I did with vinyl. Im still kinda feeling my way around a little bit with the dye mix, Time, Temperature and making sure the vinyl is burnished down really good. I searched for a list of plastics that are the best or the worst for dying but couldnt find it, Point me the way if ya can, Thanks.

There was a recent thread about this that lists all the dyeable plastic

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30082

Status
Not open for further replies.