• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dyeingtoplay: That is one of the best executions of a moon I've seen so far nice work, and I'm super interested to here more about this crayon/acetone method. Nice work :thmbup:

This one is really simple, but is honestly one of my favorites I've done so far. When the new River came in I did not want to dye it because it was just such a beautiful rich blue. I decided on the image and was going to do a short dip in black, but right before I dipped I switched to a short dip in Denim Blue. It's a really subtle look but I think it enhanced the beauty of the disc more.
17BORsmall.jpg

Buzzz.jpg

I was up late last night experimenting with 'masking' by coloring with crayon. Royal blue liquid with acetone brushed on. Rinsed and cleaned of crayon with a magic eraser. DX Glow T Bird
DXGlowTBird.jpg
Moon! Awesome job. I like the birthday candles because they are smaller and the wax is just a bit harder giving a better line. I've also used wax to make lines in a dragon eyeball I did (forgot to take pic). I did my moon pic
bluemoon.jpg

with a plotter AND the candle. It look FOREVER for my plotter to cut the moon and it was a serious pain to weed.

Champion Spider

A super simple plotter dye. On a Champion Spider. This thing looks awesome hanging in the chains from 100 feet out. (ok, so it happened once.)

Heat dipped, black lot 10. Red hand painted with liquid dye lot 10 and acetone.

spider.jpg

A super simple plotter dye. On a Champion Spider. This thing looks awesome hanging in the chains from 100 feet out. (ok, so it happened once.)

Heat dipped, black lot 10. Red hand painted with liquid dye lot 10 and acetone.

spider.jpg
Spider is cool! That must look good in the air too. I wanted to thank you for posting the pic of the moon you did along with info on the technique. I am really new to this and I have learned a ton and been very inspired by the great dyes I see posted here. I hope you don't mind me so blatantly stealing the idea for a dye, but it just seemed the most natural thing to do on a glow disc , and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all. (once I acquire more plastic I fully intend on lifting many more of the awesome ideas from this thread):) What kind of plastic is your moon? and was it already the light blue color? and also did you have any issues with the vinyl adhering to the wax? I've not tried the 2 methods together like yours. Mine was just crayon masked (and on the dx I'm glad I at least got one good pic as I expect it to fade and blur in the next few days)

OK after last night's session I am officially out of my own plastic. I guess I just need to start dyeing friends discs to feed my addiction. Star Roadrunner X out. Intentionally off center so the shadow area could cover the obnoxious ball point pen 'x' in the center of the flight plate.
StarXoutRoadrunner.jpg

Two moons.

Spider is cool! That must look good in the air too. I wanted to thank you for posting the pic of the moon you did along with info on the technique. I am really new to this and I have learned a ton and been very inspired by the great dyes I see posted here. I hope you don't mind me so blatantly stealing the idea for a dye, but it just seemed the most natural thing to do on a glow disc , and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all. (once I acquire more plastic I fully intend on lifting many more of the awesome ideas from this thread):) What kind of plastic is your moon? and was it already the light blue color? and also did you have any issues with the vinyl adhering to the wax? I've not tried the 2 methods together like yours. Mine was just crayon masked (and on the dx I'm glad I at least got one good pic as I expect it to fade and blur in the next few days)
I didn't have any problems with the vinyl adhering to the wax, but then again the pattern is very forgiving so it would be hard to see if there was much bleed. The disc is a Champion Eagle and started out blue. I have a glow stalker that I'm considering doing the same dye on, but have been very lazy of late. I've only done one dye on DX aviar. It was a multi tone skull. It is very faded, but is actually very cool because it looks like a ghost. Other players usually only comment when they pull it out of the basket for me. As for copying an idea.... this forum would most likely be a ghost town if you had to post totally original ideas. I hope you try the moon hand waxed on some better plastic soon.

Great roadrunner too. Bleep bleep!

OK after last night's session I am officially out of my own plastic. I guess I just need to start dyeing friends discs to feed my addiction. Star Roadrunner X out. Intentionally off center so the shadow area could cover the obnoxious ball point pen 'x' in the center of the flight plate.
StarXoutRoadrunner.jpg

That is a SWEET roadrunner dye, funny, I don't think I've seen the actual bird on a RR, just the classic cartoon. :thmbup: :hfive:

And +1 on getting the dye over the "X" :gross:

Luv the colors on the wonder women NoThingness, and Dyeingtoplay that sweet roadrunner should be posted in the cool dye combo's as well, nice job on the marbling!

Got all Darth Vader crazy today
Darth side of the Moon
Darthsideofthemoons1DSC_9061.jpg

Smokin' Darth, a rerun with some adjustments to Bennett's original.
smokinvadersDSC_9060.jpg

And some more Hunter
HSTsDSC_9078.jpg

OK so I thought I'd try to do an Escher. Got distracted by hyperbolic geometry. Spent hours trying to vectorize this perfectly in Illustrator. Eventually succeeded. Dyed a disc I could lose in 20 feet on a manicured lawn. Not my favorite, but easily my cleanest dye to date...
SDC11214.jpg

I know I'm a little late to the game, but this is just brilliant. Seriously. Dan don't you ever stop innovating...

Bennett for the hat trick :hfive:! He did a Dead disc with text on the bottom rim, at least that's the first I saw it done. I do think it's a great place to hide a punch line.

Thanks Dank, that one was destined for my bag from the beginning.

LOL, thanks guys, that's gotta be the most of my work I've seen on one page without me posting! Kudos, they are all sick.
dan, Darth Side of the Moon, badassery, and that is my fave Hunter S dye yet!

LOL, thanks guys, that's gotta be the most of my work I've seen on one page without me posting! Kudos, they are all sick.
dan, Darth Side of the Moon, badassery, and that is my fave Hunter S dye yet!

agreed. that Hunter S. Thompson dye is very cool. perfectly executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.