• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few I did last night. First chance to do some dyes since my plotter just came in
6634757989_55df9b7b72_z.jpg

I am amazed just how Red that black can become.
6634759289_65fd5a340b_z.jpg

If I am dyeing red over the top of black, I let my black sit for a long time in the hopes that it won't turn reddish.

If I am dyeing red over the top of black, I let my black sit for a long time in the hopes that it won't turn reddish.

The black sat for 15 min and the Red for 8. The dye is iDye for both.
It actually looks kind of good like that with the 2 different shades of Red but I want to get it worked out better before trying something that matters more.

The one red over black dye that I've done that didn't turn the black red was on an opaque disc that I sat in black at 140 degrees for 20 minutes. The same process on a translucent disc had the same issue as yours.

Does look sweet though.

hope i'm not in wrong place

hope this is ok to ask here.. i dye my own discs.. but i dont seem to get the vibrant colors that yall achieve, for example on the ponies. how or what do you guys to get the colors, temp, time, amount of water/chems. Please help, thnx

if the wrong place, my bad, point me into the right direction.. thnx

hope this is ok to ask here.. i dye my own discs.. but i dont seem to get the vibrant colors that yall achieve, for example on the ponies. how or what do you guys to get the colors, temp, time, amount of water/chems. Please help, thnx

if the wrong place, my bad, point me into the right direction.. thnx

How are you currently doing it? What type of dye are you using? What is your current mix?

I use one box/packet of RIT dye to 32 ounces of water. I heat the dye until it just starts to steam, remove from the heat, let it sit a few minutes and then float the disc. I don't check the temperature other than by feeling the sides of the pot (should be able to leave your hands on it without being burned). There are some good tutorials in the thread stickied at the top of this forum.

time

the heating is about the same for me... i've never measured the amount of water.. just kind of eyed.. it, I bet that is the problem... and when doing multi colors.. do the darkest first.. correct? lol

the heating is about the same for me... i've never measured the amount of water.. just kind of eyed.. it, I bet that is the problem... and when doing multi colors.. do the darkest first.. correct? lol

Do the darkest first is usually true. You may need to remask before doing multiple colors depending on the colors involved.

alright cool

i used to do a disc a night, but i moved to a new house and have only done one in the last 3 months.. people are starting to ask for more again lol.... havn't tried multi colors other than like pink and black.... thanks for the suggestions.. if i get some cool ones done i'll be sure to post

Just to add to the tip above, my dye recipe is one tbsp of Rit for every 2 cups of water. For a dip dye, I usually mix 2 tbsp RIT and 4 cups of water. Heat to 110-120 degrees. 5 minutes for light, 10 for normal, 20 for super dark, is usually the timeframe. Different colors and plastics change the equation, of course.

What disc/plastic are you trying to dye on?

Marilyn on a Groove
Played my first tournament on New Year's day and ended up with a used disc as a consolation prize. Rookie player and dyer.
Scuffs definitely show up and affect the dying.
Other than the scuffs she's ok.
A lot of great dyes getting posted. Very inspirational.:clap:

Attachments

• DCP_2196.JPG
    DCP_2196.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 74
Like the Marilyn jja, you have successfully turned that Groove into something another rookie might be suckered into trading a real disc for ;).

Wow:eek: someone else actually owns a Groove besides me! Now I don't feel all alone in the world. Also nice dye.

I've got one that I found, in really good shape. I've got lots of ideas for it, I just need to make a decision. :)

Didn't need or want another driver but it was the most dyeable disc in the pile. Have not thrown it enough to have an opinion of it. At minimum it was good for more dye-practice.

I guess the people who hate 'em really hate 'em. I've never thrown one and shouldn't jump on the bandwagon.

Won plastic is the best plastic and I do like the dye job, nice detail, nice stencil, Marilyn's such a babe!

Just to add to the tip above, my dye recipe is one tbsp of Rit for every 2 cups of water. For a dip dye, I usually mix 2 tbsp RIT and 4 cups of water. Heat to 110-120 degrees. 5 minutes for light, 10 for normal, 20 for super dark, is usually the timeframe. Different colors and plastics change the equation, of course.

What disc/plastic are you trying to dye on?

This is the ratio of dye/h2o recommended on the rit page. I have always used this ratio with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.