• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The First Disc You Owned?

I went to the local gas station that sold discs and bought a viking, a wolf, and a pole cat. I didn't know anything about disc golf back then. Just decided to start playing my first summer in grad school and got hooked.

I really don't remember. I remember I bought it from the random dude with an open trunk in the parking lot at Albert Oakland. I think it was a Phantom + but later on I had a Phantom + and an Aviar XD and it's entirely possible that the XD was the first disc I bought. At any rate I bought one and a friend bought the other, and they both ended up left in the trunk of my 1980 Buick Century. That was when I was in college and I really didn't pick the game up. I probably played 1/2 dozen times in four years. When I left for my internship the two golf discs either got shuffled off to a storage unit and then to my parents garage where they still sit packed in a box along with notes from the Planning Urban Spaces class I took my last semester or (more likely) they were still in the trunk of the Buick when I sold it to my brother-in-law and they got tossed in the garbage.

That all would have been 17 years ago. In a "small world" kind of twist, I go back to the park I did most of my internship at a few times a year because they put a pretty nice disc golf course in there a few years ago. Back when I used to spend 50 hrs a week in that park there was no course and I really didn't play disc golf anyway.

I had some loaner discs for my first round, an aviar and a shark or something.

Then I played a round or two and decided I liked disc golf so I registered here. So after tons of reading old threads my first three purchased discs were Wizard, Roc(dx), Gazelle(dx). I rocked those three and just kept adding, I think my next driver was a TL. I fell in love with the Roc and Gazelle almost immediately - the Wizard i was "meh" about.

I've lost the wizard and Gazelle, but I still have first Roc I bought - its my cherished thrashed Roc now.

My first discs were given to me as a present. It was a 162g champ beast that is still in my bag and a really soft dx aviar that I have since given away.

my first disc was this awesome orange zonedriven teebird. the stamp on it is way cool. my buddy gave it to me a few years ago and after getting my first ace with it i put it on the wall.......but every once in a while it gets so spead its wings. its soo beat i could use it all day for short h-flips short annys and long rollers. if this bird gets pushed too hard it just turns over soo bad.

thats when i say "back to the cage little birdie" lol :lol:

My very first disc was a Discraft first run Elite Z Breeze and an Innova DX Viper. Both were given as gifts. Back when i started, the Valk was the top disc.... i didnt really understand my game, so the breeze was a great disc. I Liked the Viper for big hyzers. I remember one of the first times i ever went out, i nailed a 150-160ft up-shot with the viper. i was like omfg!! i just did that..... ah memories...

..... speaking of which, i would like that breeze back now. ive tried the meteor, but i just doesn;t feel the same in my hands. I like the stingray for those quick flips, but something about that Z plastic felt good. :mrgreen:

p.s. does anyone know where i can get my hands on a Champion Stingray OR a Champion Cobra? please, ive been scouring the depths of the internets and i just cannot find any. :( My buddy really loves the stingray as well and would love ta have a Champ as well. If any of you guys have info PLEASE pm me!!!! :eek: thanks in advance

jsun3thousand said:
I went to the local gas station that sold discs and bought a viking, a wolf, and a pole cat. I didn't know anything about disc golf back then. Just decided to start playing my first summer in grad school and got hooked.

damn.... didnt know ne thing bout the game and just picked those discs? the pole cat was my staple putter and upsot disc when i was starting out! :mrgreen: lmao ever try using a polecat as a roller??? :lol:

mzuleger said:
#2 Drvier from PIAS... got it about 13 years ago and still have it.

Now that I think about it... the first disc I "owned" was a dx cyclone. It hit a tree on a tunnel shot and cracked the flight plate. owned.

My Gary Fischer mountain bike with new egg beater pedals was stolen from my apartment in July 2007. I showed up to my biking friend's place without a bike, so he suggested I try out disc golf. He gave me a Lightning #2 Roller with some dog chews and we played Mackenzie Park in Lubbock. I've been hooked ever since and didn't buy a replacement bike until this last week. The disc is retired.

Slowhand said:
My Gary Fischer mountain bike with new egg beater pedals was stolen from my apartment in July 2007. I showed up to my biking friend's place without a bike, so he suggested I try out disc golf. He gave me a Lightning #2 Roller with some dog chews and we played Mackenzie Park in Lubbock. I've been hooked ever since and didn't buy a replacement bike until this last week. The disc is retired.

Thats funny.

Mine was a Wildcat.

Discraft Tracer. Friend gave it to me when I started. Then I passed it on when another friend started and then he threw it into a lagoon...

mf100forever said:
Midnight Flyers, bought a set in 1979, a mold40, 50 och 80. Still have the mold80.

That's what I did. Bought the smallest diameter version, a middle diameter version, and a large diameter version. The large one is the one I still have.

It's interesting to hear what others had as their first disc. I had no clue what I was doing but liked the art on the disc, so my first disc was a DX Firebird. Haha. Good thing the holes on the first course I played all average around 250'! I still have the disc, 8 years later.

I started in June of 05. For a month, I played with a Roc and Aviar that a friend loaned me. Once I decided I was into the game, I went to Sportmart and grabbed an Aviar, Roc and Valkyrie. Still have the Roc and Aviar but the Valk disappeared 2 months in on the most open hole on that course.

Latest posts