• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The more I play the worser I get

For me, it's mostly about lapses in muscle memory. Some days I go out and am loose and everything just seems to click. Then other days I am just off, can't get my release point established and just spray drives all over the place. I don't play in larger groups because if I'm having a melt down it's just pure torture.

What's helped me a lot is just to keep reminding myself that I play this game because I really love it, everything about it, and I'm out enjoying nature and getting exercise. I then just try to relax and let everything flow. I get the idea of not keeping score but I just can't do it. Good mediocre or terrible, I have to know how I'm doing.:eek:

Any other rec players have this problem? Example: last summer I played at least 2x a week and did lots of putting and field practice. Learned a lot more about how discs fly, got started on throwing putters and mids, all the things you're supposed to do to get better. By the end of summer I was throwing higher scores than I used to when I'd play maybe every other week and not touch a disc in between.
Another example: I played 2 times between Thanksgiving and this weekend. Went out for Friday afternoon and threw a personal best from one set of tees.

Same thing happens to me. I will layoff from playing for two or three weeks and then come out and play really well.

Any other rec players have this problem? Example: last summer I played at least 2x a week and did lots of putting and field practice. Learned a lot more about how discs fly, got started on throwing putters and mids, all the things you're supposed to do to get better. By the end of summer I was throwing higher scores than I used to when I'd play maybe every other week and not touch a disc in between.
Another example: I played 2 times between Thanksgiving and this weekend. Went out for Friday afternoon and threw a personal best from one set of tees.

I haven't read all the posts, but I will say that what you are describing is a natural thing. When you are "satisfied" with where you are as a disc golfer, and don't have time or don't practice much, you certainly can put up personal bests without losing any significant difference in scores. BUT, when you decide I want to get better, you examine your form, take in lots of hints & tips, and make changes. Since those changes are things you are not used to, they take time to master, and like the story goes, it WILL get worse before it gets better. I can go back to 2010-11 when I decided to become a better putter. It got pretty bad while I was making changes (a lot of learning). I was definitely a worse putter throughout that time, than where I was before. BUT, I did get better after about a year. BUT my rating tanked for at least 8 months. If I were doing it again, I'd not play any competitive rounds while I was learning and practicing. But if you do, understand it'll get worse. The hard part is remaining committed to the things you decided to improve, while it is temporarily getting worse. And temporarily might mean 6 months to a year. Not everyone can do that.

Course familiarity is also a factor that people say. I seriously doubt that players layoff for a month or more then go out and shoot lights out at a course they are unfamiliar with.

Just decided which thing is more important, and good luck.

Last edited:
Film yourself and take a look at your form. We all get creeping form flaws that go un-noticed. It's surprising how much you can learn/unlearn thanks to video proof.

I did this several years ago, and the video showed a completely different form than I thought I was doing. I had the Arms- Crossing on the X Step issue. Instead of my (rhbh) left arm dangling back out of the way, I was actually doing a "cross-draw" type manuver. The next time I played I made sure to change that and started to get alot more distance.

Practice makes one less imperfect......

However, if you are practicing with bad form, or poor mechanics. all the practice in the world will not help you.
I have a friend that I tell that too constantly.....if you don't change anything you are doing wrong, how are
you supposed to improve?

On my home course I could throw anywhere from 5 down to 5 over par...just depends on the day, somedays I can't hit
a line to save my life, other days I can land everything.....such is life, a series of ups and downs....

Don't let it get to you, shake it off, and keep going.....I used to get mad when I miss threw a shot, kick my bag, etc.....
it doesn't help, and drastically affects your psyche....now I just shrug my shoulders, forget about it, and try to execute the next
shot correctly. Scores only really matter in a tournament setting (or if there is significant money on the line).

If it makes you feel any better, I played my best around my second year of playing disc golf. Then I started messing with new discs, changing my form, trying all kinds of different things. I have been playing now for about 7 years and am just now getting back to where I was 5 years ago? Pissed me off for quite awhile, but I think I am better all the way around now. I'm going to keep telling myself that anyway:D Practice, practice, practice sometimes things get worse before they get better:thmbup:

Absolutely!

To go with that, every so often I will have a really good round. I start thinking I'm improving and get excited. The next time out I can't hit a line to save my life.

How about watching a cool video and getting excited about how much it will help, then going out and not being able to replicate a thing you were trying to do and sucking worse than you did before the video.

Latest posts