• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Secret of the Bead

So the disc becoming more stable/overstable is just a side effect?

Some discs it seems true that it doesn't add any more stability such as beaded or non beaded gators, they fly the same. But an XD and a CR have a whole different flight. Could be that being such an overstable disc you don't notice it on the gator as much.

And actually I've noticed what he says to be somewhat true for say a kc aviar and a p-line psycho. Psycho maybe has a tick more glide but to me they flew pretty much identical.

Bead does not and never has meant a disc is MORE OS but generally does yield a greater HSS also IMO they tend to be more sensitive to release angles.

I
V. Rim Stabilizers – Rim Characteristics and Flight
While the overall shape and contour of the rim will determine the disc's overall flight, there are a few design factors that make the disc fly more high speed stable and fade more predictably at the end of their flight. The two most noticeable of these design factors can take the form of a bead (either prominently rounded or a very abrupt slope change) at the bottom of the rim or a notch (flat spot) at the very edge of the wing. Both of these characteristics will aid in the structural rigidity and overall durability of the disc but also affect its flight.

As a general rule of thumb, a bead on the rim will yield a slight increase in high-speed stability and in some cases (mainly those with a prominently rounded bead) it helps delay low speed fade. While it has been debated whether or not a bead does affect disc flight, my experiences with beaded and non-beaded versions of the same model discs as well as factored discs that have had the bead removed have generally yielded these results.

A "notch" (for lack of a better term) on the wing can vary greatly from a 1-2mm flat spot to a very noticeable flat area as the rim contour approaches the edge of the disc. Discs with a "notch" generally fly more high-speed stable and are more likely to fade at the end of their flight and will fade slightly earlier than versions of the disc that have had the notch smoothed off or if the notch has worn off due to wear. This fade characteristic is especially noticeable if a disc has been turned over.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discqualities.shtml

that's the best way I have heard it explained and matches my experience with beaded discs vs non beaded.

I find that, for molds that have both beaded and unbeaded versions (e.g., cobra vs stingray), beaded discs take a higher line to get the same distance as the unbeaded version, but that the unbeaded version doesn't do as well on that same high line. Related to that, I think the beaded disc loses speed more quickly and that the lower speed both earlier and later in the flight is perceived as greater hss and more pronounced fade.

So am i the only one who understood this to mean that, the bead was there to help mantain stability and slow down rim wear, and help maintain intended flight characteristics for longer?

After i watched it again i thought this might be what he meant as opposed to the meaning we are discussing to this point

So am i the only one who understood this to mean that, the bead was there to help mantain stability and slow down rim wear, and help maintain intended flight characteristics for longer?

After i watched it again i thought this might be what he meant as opposed to the meaning we are discussing to this point

That's what I heard.

That's what I heard.

That is also how I heard/interpreted his statement. It helps the disc retain its stability for a longer period of time by generating a bumper of sorts that allows slower wear of the bottom edge.

That's what I had always heard about beads. I had never any of this "bead makes the disc more overstable" nonsense until I came on this site. It's tough though, because any disc I've thrown with a bead is overstable to stable with or without the bead. It's not like the put a bead on an Archangle and all of the sudden it's a Teebird, or whatever.

Case in point: Tank vs. Rhyno...both overstable. For me, they fly the same. I prefer the Rhyno for putting, and the Tank for driving, but they really fly the same.

But then you have something like the Aviar...JKs and KCs are certainly more overstable than a small bead, which is more overstable than a regular Aviar (at least in my experience). But then you have a Yeti, which is about the same stability as a P and A...thanks to the concave top. What a mess.

I would reckon that the bead was originally intended, back in the old DX-only days, to merely make a longer lasting disc. Comfort was an awesome by-product of that. And, on certain models, it also made them SLIGHTLY more overstable.

Therefore...everyone is right. That doesn't happen too often.

Ok. I can see how the bead keeps stability longer. The way it wears down would not adjust the rim angle. You cannot say that a be a doesn't make the disc more stable. Look at a Buzzz, and Wasp.

Maybe if he says that if we molded the same concave rim without the bead it would have the same flight but without the amount of wear resistance. That would make more sense.

wouldn't a beaded version of the same non-beaded mold have a higher parting line?

Depends if the bead was chopped off (i.e. Buzzz and Wasp) or replaced with a straight bead of material instead of the rounded material (i.e. Roc vs. shark, I know the Shark isn't exactly a beadless Roc, but close enough.)
Comparing PLH only makes a difference when comparing same molds.

It's interesting that the Buzzz was originally marketed a a super straight modified Wasp, that is Discraft took advantage of the fact that the bead adds overstability and chopped the bead off the Wasp to make the buzzz.