• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thumber Discs

I don't throw them but I've played with the best thumbed throwers around, and the y all use the nuke os.

This is true. I have seen 400ft Nuke OS thumbers. The OS was at least 30-40 ft longer then my older 12x firebird. It wasn't nearly as accurate, I used it for distance only. I just lost my Nuke OS on the roof of a tall shed and I just bought one of the new 12x flat top firebirds to replace it. I have only ripped two thumbers with it. I am going to test it against my older FB and report back.

The Discraft LE Esp Venoms are so sick for thumbers also. I miss those discs. I have also seen sick thumbers from Z Xtremes. Its hard to find these discs, but I thought the esp venom was one of the best thumber discs I have ever thrown.

I can't believe no one has mentions the PDs. My C-line 170 PD is my go to thumber from 150-250ft and it is money every time. I'm might get ostracized for this one but the Aerobie Epic is an incredible thumber. Get it tuned right for you and it'll do the full flip to flat and just glide forever..I've had a few 450s w/them but it just hurts my elbow too much nowadays...

I can't believe no one has mentions the PDs. My C-line 170 PD is my go to thumber from 150-250ft and it is money every time. I'm might get ostracized for this one but the Aerobie Epic is an incredible thumber. Get it tuned right for you and it'll do the full flip to flat and just glide forever..I've had a few 450s w/them but it just hurts my elbow too much nowadays...

I agree with this also. I like the c pd for shorter and quicker turning thumbers then the firebird.

Also, the epic is a well noted super long distance over hand disc. I have seen people bend the disc certain ways to get different flights. Its super long when thrown right but not all that accurate.

The Epic is cool to throw, but seriously lacks any kind of accuracy on an OH. On a RH thumber it does a double barrel-roll and then turns into a RHBH backhand at the highest point in it's flight.

I'd have to agree with the both of you. It's a really fun disc to throw but if you're looking for reliability and accuracy it isn't the disc of choice.

It's not the disc; it's the amount of snap and power you are getting on your thumber. If under-powered, the disc won't complete the rotation and/or come back to straight after initially slicing left. Thumbers take arm strength and wrist snap.

I don't snap my thumbers at all. In fact if I put snap on a thumber, even with an Ape, the disc won't turn in the air at all it will just hold it's line right to the ground due to the gyroscopic spin that happens when you snap it.

To get max D on a thumber, you need to snap it. It flips too fast if you don't. The distance in a thumber comes from when it's upside down. As soon as it flips more than that, it's coming down.

Related to that, a good distance thumber disc has an inverted flight plate that gets better lift while upside down.

To get max D on a thumber, you need to snap it. It flips too fast if you don't. The distance in a thumber comes from when it's upside down. As soon as it flips more than that, it's coming down.

Related to that, a good distance thumber disc has an inverted flight plate that gets better lift while upside down.

Interesting, maybe because I am throwing such overstable discs for thumbers I am unable to put snap on them because it actually makes them turn so slow then don't turn at all when I do put snap on it. I'll try throwing an understable disc thumber with some snap on it today and see what happens.

Interesting, maybe because I am throwing such overstable discs for thumbers I am unable to put snap on them because it actually makes them turn so slow then don't turn at all when I do put snap on it. I'll try throwing an understable disc thumber with some snap on it today and see what happens.

Dan is right, your options are, throw higher, throw harder, throw a less overstable disc.

Dan is right, your options are, throw higher, throw harder, throw a less overstable disc.

Options for what?

I have no problems getting my thumbers to go where they need to go, not sure what you're talking about.

Throwing an overstable disc with snap will not necessarily make it turn more quickly.
If you want a thumber to turn more quickly, throw it an an angle like this /, or you can throw a less stable disc. i encourage everyone to experiment. I actually use 4 different discs for thumbers:
FLX Avenger SS for quick turns and placement shots.
Champ Banshee for thumbers that finish dead straight in front.
Star FB for distance shots.
Flat-top FB for long left turns.

Options for what?

I have no problems getting my thumbers to go where they need to go, not sure what you're talking about.

If youre wanting the disc to fully turn (which you said that sometimes they dont) and for some reason theyre not, the options i listed will remedy that.

I said nothing about you having a lack of accuracy.
Most people Suggest OS discs for thumbers, and if youre lookig for faster turn, or a longer flight, or just wanting it to complete a full rotation, i gave you ways to do all of that.

Everyone on my course seems to be using Nuke Os's for thumbers, and they really bomb from what Ive seen.

Everyone on my course seems to be using Nuke Os's for thumbers, and they really bomb from what Ive seen.

If your hand is big enough and can get a good enough grip theyre prolly the longest non epic overhand disc, given you have the power

Throwing an overstable disc with snap will not necessarily make it turn more quickly.

What are you talking about? I said when I put snap on an overstable disc it doesn't turn at all, it holds it's line right to the ground, the exact opposite of what you think I said...

If youre wanting the disc to fully turn (which you said that sometimes they dont) and for some reason theyre not, the options i listed will remedy that.

I said nothing about you having a lack of accuracy.
Most people Suggest OS discs for thumbers, and if youre lookig for faster turn, or a longer flight, or just wanting it to complete a full rotation, i gave you ways to do all of that.

I throw Apes, Nukes, bosses or any other overstable disc as a thumber without any snap and it turns exactly 1 full rotation and goes exactly where I want it to go. If I put snap on it it holds a line and spikes right to the ground. I never said I had a problem getting a disc to turn.

You must have misinterpreted me when I said I was going to try snapping and understable disc to see what happens as an experiment because there are people on this thread saying that they snap their thumbers, contrasting to how I and everyone I know throws our thumbers.

If I throw an understable disc with no snap it flips way too many times, so my experiment was to determine whether I could get an understable disc to flip while throwing it with snap instead of it spiking to the ground like every stable or overstable distance driver I have thumbered with snap.

Last edited:
Options for what?

Options for getting an overstable disc to flip with snap. You really want to have snap on your thumbers. Wind tears them apart without some snap. Also, snap added about 30% distance to my thumbers.

Latest posts