• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Thunderbird vs. Vulture vs. Anax

One reason I like the Vulture more is that it has a little bit of a smaller wing than the Thunderbird.
But the underside of that wing is sharp compared to the Thundy. It's too bad, I love the look of my Vulture (purple swirly ESP) and really like how it flies, but the Thunderbird is an interchangeable flight and more comfy in the hand. Looks like it gets to keep it's spot.

But the underside of that wing is sharp compared to the Thundy. It's too bad, I love the look of my Vulture (purple swirly ESP) and really like how it flies, but the Thunderbird is an interchangeable flight and more comfy in the hand. Looks like it gets to keep it's spot.

I'd agree. I like the Vulture just fine, but it doesn't do anything really different than the Thunderbird. I already bag the Thunderbird, so it's going to stay there....

The Anax has that same sharp bottom edge.

Firebird is to Sexton firebird; as predator is anax.

The anax is a disc I've been throwing for almost 8 months now. I used to love orcs, then I loved teebirds, then I liked the Vulture but didnt love it, andI found I needed a distance disc like my teebird. The anax let me throw teebird lines and add distance if I want to try. Nice way to consolidate a spot in my bag.

My guess is this is why McBeth made it. Realized he didnt need a teebird clone, just a straight to solid fade speed 9 disc.

The ESP beats in well for cycling and then powers down nicely. It does a lot if things really well, but nothing extraordinary. That would be my guess as to why it's not as popular. It's a disc you buy 3 at time and work the together.

I don't know about that. The rim of a predator and anax is almost the same. The rim between a firebird and a Thunderbird is different. Plus there is way more bite at the end of the Anax than a thunderbird.

I've thrown some really beefy Thunderbirds but they don't hold a candle to the Firebird or even a Sexton bird.

I've only seen the Anax thrown but it reminds me of a PD, especially the S-Line runs before 2019 which were always straighter and less OS, or the slightly beefier Thundy's. Most people tend to bag a thunderbird for that slot, including Paul who helped design the Anax.

That's where I'm coming from in the analogy.

I've thrown some really beefy Thunderbirds but they don't hold a candle to the Firebird or even a Sexton bird.

I've only seen the Anax thrown but it reminds me of a PD, especially the S-Line runs before 2019 which were always straighter and less OS, or the slightly beefier Thundy's. Most people tend to bag a thunderbird for that slot, including Paul who helped design the Anax.

That's where I'm coming from in the analogy.

I only have a sample size of 1, but my Anax was glidier and longer than any Thunderbird I've thrown. It also had some high speed turn and not much late fade. I figure I can throw the Anax 30' further than the Thunderbird at least.

How do the Fortress and Invictus fit?

I've been considering an OS ~10 speed to add to the Felon/Undertaker combo. Was initially thinking PD or Fortress. The flight 'numbers' of those are what I'd like to consider (no turn, decent fade, good for hyzers).
Have you tried out a Sergeant? I throw Saint/Getaway/Felon, and the Sergeant seems to be a faster Getaway with a more comfortable rim for forehand. Great gap between 9 speed before distance drivers.

Have you tried out a Sergeant? I throw Saint/Getaway/Felon, and the Sergeant seems to be a faster Getaway with a more comfortable rim for forehand. Great gap between 9 speed before distance drivers.

I did end up investing in the PD. It is what I was looking for, and I have some history with them. They will serve a purpose throughout all stages of life. I think the sergeant is a little too fast (having no actual experience with it...)

This "control driver" segment has become a frustrating area for me. A slightly overstable 9- or 10-speed can be an incredibly useful disc that gives you both distance and control. But it's so hard to find one with the right characteristics. Or at least one that will stay in the sweet spot for a long time.

My 3rd-run PD is still going strong. Good distance, no turn, not a super harsh fade, fights headwinds. Mildly overstable and extremely predictable. But it's getting to the point where I hesitate to pull it out on holes where I might lose it. And that defeats the purpose!

I also used to have a nice beat S-PD that sat in the perfect dead-straight sweet spot for a really long time until I lost it.

I've tried a bunch of alternative discs (Anax, Vulture, Thunderbird, Starfire, newer PD's) and have never been able to recreate the magic of either one. Some have been close, but not quite there. Next up will be OLF's and the Westside equivalents (Longbowman/Fortress/Sampo?).

The best alternative I've found has really been to just throw Teebirds/Rivals instead. You give up a tiny bit of distance but overall they are more consistent disc-to-disc. And occasionally you can find a slightly flatter/faster freak that will fly just as far as the PD's.

This "control driver" segment has become a frustrating area for me. A slightly overstable 9- or 10-speed can be an incredibly useful disc that gives you both distance and control. But it's so hard to find one with the right characteristics. Or at least one that will stay in the sweet spot for a long time.

My 3rd-run PD is still going strong. Good distance, no turn, not a super harsh fade, fights headwinds. Mildly overstable and extremely predictable. But it's getting to the point where I hesitate to pull it out on holes where I might lose it. And that defeats the purpose!

I also used to have a nice beat S-PD that sat in the perfect dead-straight sweet spot for a really long time until I lost it.

I've tried a bunch of alternative discs (Anax, Vulture, Thunderbird, Starfire, newer PD's) and have never been able to recreate the magic of either one. Some have been close, but not quite there. Next up will be OLF's and the Westside equivalents (Longbowman/Fortress/Sampo?).

The best alternative I've found has really been to just throw Teebirds/Rivals instead. You give up a tiny bit of distance but overall they are more consistent disc-to-disc. And occasionally you can find a slightly flatter/faster freak that will fly just as far as the PD's.
I really recommend a Getaway. I used to throw the PDs, and the Getaway has been everything I've ever wanted in the OS but still far flying 9 speed driver. I would start out with a Lucid, and if you like that flight but it beats in, the hybrid ones (or Lucid-X, but I'm not a fan of the more stiff feel) stay relatively OS even once they beat in.

I really recommend a Getaway. I used to throw the PDs, and the Getaway has been everything I've ever wanted in the OS but still far flying 9 speed driver. I would start out with a Lucid, and if you like that flight but it beats in, the hybrid ones (or Lucid-X, but I'm not a fan of the more stiff feel) stay relatively OS even once they beat in.

I like the Getaway. One of these days I'll do a head to head comparison vs. a Thunderbird and maybe the Vulture.

I've found the Getaway to be pretty similar to a Thunderbird, but its been a while since I threw one.

I like the Getaway. One of these days I'll do a head to head comparison vs. a Thunderbird and maybe the Vulture.

I've found the Getaway to be pretty similar to a Thunderbird, but its been a while since I threw one.

Thought I would post your thoughts on the Getaway here since I was over in the Getaway thread reading reviews:

Twmccoy:
I've been sitting on one of these for a while, but until today had never thrown it. Took it out to the course for a couple rounds and used it on a bunch of holes that were 350'+. Fuzion plastic, 174g. Pretty good dome on this disc. Rim is a touch shallower than a Thunderbird.

Its a fine "tweener" driver. Very much like a Thunderbird in flight. By tweener I mean its right on the edge of being a long fairway driver or a short distance driver.

Very consistent flights. No high speed turn. The Getaway likes to be thrown very hard, and won't bleed right at all. Little bit of a pronounced fade. If you throw the Getaway lightly or poorly it'll dump left pretty hard and prematurely. I figure to really get this disc up to speed you'll need 350'+ power consistently. Not a disc for weak arms or new players. It also isn't a disc that likes to be finessed. I found that all my best shots with the Getaway were full power rips. Glide is good. I thought the Getaway had a touch more glide than the Musket.

Very comparable to a Thunderbird. Same speed, glide, and general flight path. Anyone who already bags (and is happy with) Thunderbirds will find the Getaway redundant. The Getaway is a stable to somewhat overstable driver. It handles wind well and I found it to be easy to dial in for accuracy. One of DD's better driver offerings, and I liked it a whole hell of a lot better than the Escape (too flippy). It seems DD is finally learning how to produce discs that actually fly like the numbers they're given.

Getaway: 9, 5, 0, 3. MAYBE -0.5 on high speed turn if you really murder it. I wasn't seeing much (if any) turn on this disc. Somewhat dumpy fade, but the Getaway will hold a straight path for most of its flight before fading. I was putting the Getaway anywhere from 350' to 400' pretty consistently. Its a disc that loves to be thrown hard. You can absolutely lean into this thing and it'll respond favorably with extra distance, but without bleeding right. I'd much recommend this driver to guys who throw DD and want something like a Thunderbird.

Thought I would post your thoughts on the Getaway here since I was over in the Getaway thread reading reviews:

Twmccoy:
I've been sitting on one of these for a while, but until today had never thrown it. Took it out to the course for a couple rounds and used it on a bunch of holes that were 350'+. Fuzion plastic, 174g. Pretty good dome on this disc. Rim is a touch shallower than a Thunderbird.

Its a fine "tweener" driver. Very much like a Thunderbird in flight. By tweener I mean its right on the edge of being a long fairway driver or a short distance driver.

Very consistent flights. No high speed turn. The Getaway likes to be thrown very hard, and won't bleed right at all. Little bit of a pronounced fade. If you throw the Getaway lightly or poorly it'll dump left pretty hard and prematurely. I figure to really get this disc up to speed you'll need 350'+ power consistently. Not a disc for weak arms or new players. It also isn't a disc that likes to be finessed. I found that all my best shots with the Getaway were full power rips. Glide is good. I thought the Getaway had a touch more glide than the Musket.

Very comparable to a Thunderbird. Same speed, glide, and general flight path. Anyone who already bags (and is happy with) Thunderbirds will find the Getaway redundant. The Getaway is a stable to somewhat overstable driver. It handles wind well and I found it to be easy to dial in for accuracy. One of DD's better driver offerings, and I liked it a whole hell of a lot better than the Escape (too flippy). It seems DD is finally learning how to produce discs that actually fly like the numbers they're given.

Getaway: 9, 5, 0, 3. MAYBE -0.5 on high speed turn if you really murder it. I wasn't seeing much (if any) turn on this disc. Somewhat dumpy fade, but the Getaway will hold a straight path for most of its flight before fading. I was putting the Getaway anywhere from 350' to 400' pretty consistently. Its a disc that loves to be thrown hard. You can absolutely lean into this thing and it'll respond favorably with extra distance, but without bleeding right. I'd much recommend this driver to guys who throw DD and want something like a Thunderbird.

I haven't thrown the Getaway since I did this review... and that was a while ago.

Who knows, maybe my thoughts on the disc will have changed over time.

Due to the inspiration of this thread, I finally got a Thunderbird (Pro plastic) and compared it against the Vulture (Titanium) and Getaway (Fuzion Burst).

While they all flew reasonably well and similar, the combination of different variables left me with a more positive overall impression of the Thunderbird. The variables:

1. Rim. The rim is more comfortable than the Vulture and smaller than the Getaway. It is a good median between the two.

2. Distance. While the plastics were different and can account for some variances in distance, I was out driving the other two with the Thunderbird. Even if I had the comparable plastic in the Thunderbird, I don't think the distances would have been too different.

3. Plastics. With the point above, the Thunderbird comes in a bunch of different plastics which can afford me different lines and distances.

4. Weights. I like the fact it covers a wide spectrum of weights.

5. Colors. Multiple colors available. As well, I like to dye discs and white seems to be easier to find.

6. Availability. They are going to be easier to find, whether in mom-and-pops, chain store, trading, or tournaments.

7. Longevity. Due to it's success, I don't have to worry about going extinct.

with that said, I am going to bench the other two and roll with the Thunderbird.

I finally ended up going with the Vulture myself. I wanted to love the Thunderbird but just never threw it as well as I wanted for whatever reason. The PD was what I carried for a couple of years and they were fine but lacked a bit of the glide and distance I was wanting in that slot. Tried several other similar discs but when I finally got to the Vulture it was just what I was looking for. Maybe a hint of turn if I really throw it hard and flat but definitely not flippy for me. Also feels great in my hand and I am confident that I can put it on good angles and lines. And it has surprising glide and gets the distance that I am looking for.

Can't even remember what made me try the Vulture. I really don't mess with much Discraft stuff beyond the Zone but glad I tried it.

Is the ESP more overstable than Z, my Z bombs but it tends to have quite a bit of turn, use it for hypzer flips and turnover shots, or lower power S turn flights?

I have three ESP Vultures and one Z. I threw the Z a few times and didn't care for it but honestly can't remember why other than it didn't fly like the ESP ones. Two of my ESP Vultures are pretty flat and one is really domey. The domey one is the most overstable.

Also, I've never played a round of disc golf below 5,000 feet of elevation so things might fly a little more stable for me. I know I can tell a difference in stability going from 5,000 to 8,000 or 10,000 feet.