• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tips for Dying?

TheSully411

I recently decided to start dying discs and went out and bought Dylon (read and saw that it was just lacking of old rit Dye), Cont-tact paper, an X-acto knife, acetone, and gloves.
So I cleared the disc using the Acetone, then I cut the stencil, mixed the dye and put the disc in. I have no idea what method I should be using or what ratio the mixture should be, so when I removed the disc from the dye after a good half hour the dye ran off and didn't even slightly stain the disc, so I left it in over night and checked this morning and there was still no dye on the disc.
If you have any info on ratios, dyes, or methods, please tell me. Because now I'm stuck with a very odd shade of yellow Valkyrie that doesnt even have a stamp. :wall:

I recently decided to start dying discs and went out and bought Dylon (read and saw that it was just lacking of old rit Dye), Cont-tact paper, an X-acto knife, acetone, and gloves.
So I cleared the disc using the Acetone, then I cut the stencil, mixed the dye and put the disc in. I have no idea what method I should be using or what ratio the mixture should be, so when I removed the disc from the dye after a good half hour the dye ran off and didn't even slightly stain the disc, so I left it in over night and checked this morning and there was still no dye on the disc.
If you have any info on ratios, dyes, or methods, please tell me. Because now I'm stuck with a very odd shade of yellow Valkyrie that doesnt even have a stamp. :wall:

Don't use Dylon (I tried that once too and it didn't work at all), use iDye poly. Sounds like you did everything else right. I assume you were using a mix of dye and water? If you aren't going to use any heat, you'll want to let it sit for 24+ hours.

Don't use Dylon (I tried that once too and it didn't work at all), use iDye poly. Sounds like you did everything else right. I assume you were using a mix of dye and water? If you aren't going to use any heat, you'll want to let it sit for 24+ hours.
How do you use heat, if you could just site a video or something that would be great, and thanks for the tip, I'll find a different use for this Dylon and I'll order some iDye Polly

Also, you didn't specify what plastic type you were working with but generally base line plastic does not take dye well. Champ or Star (or their equivalents) are the best mediums to work with.

Just don't use the "intensifier" that comes with it. It won't help, it will make a mess, and is not necessary in the slightest. Throw it away.

Good to know. I mixed it in just to be safe, but I figured it was pointless. You said it will make a mess; why is it less messy when you don't add it?

Also, just cuz I'm too lazy to search, how long does it stay effective? I've had mine mixed for 6 months or so.

the 5 greatest rappers of all time. dylon, dylon, dylon, dylon, and dylon. he spits hot fire.

Nice

Also, just cuz I'm too lazy to search, how long does it stay effective? I've had mine mixed for 6 months or so.

I currently have water + iDye mixes that are 14 months old and still working fine. Just make sure to mix it up before using, as it does separate.

I like to bring my dye (Idye Poly) up to a little boil before I use it, especially if its been sitting for a while. When I wasn't doing that, sometimes the color would come out a little off.

Keith

Latest posts