• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tomahawk discs

Discraft Venom!

And if you have a strong shoulder, the Z-Xtreme is probably the best overhand disc available.

Z-Xtreme is excellent for max D overhands where there is some room for left-to-right-to-left play (RH tomahawk) in the flightpath. Champion Whippet-x flies very similarly, if you are an Innova man.

Champion Firebird & Champion Banshee are also very good overhand discs with less distance, straighter flights, & more pinpoint accuracy than the "big boys".

my 168 discraft tracker is definetly the best over hand disc i have ever used. it flys forever, farther then my rhbh drives.

I found some lightly used Firebirds for cheap. A 169 and a 174. I never threw them yesterday, but I'll get some field work in today if the rain stops. thanks again for the suggestions.

After talking to someone on here, i cant remember who it ws, I am back to tomahawking my 174Banshee.

Folding it in half like a taco then pressing my thumb around the inside of edge around the disc made it flatten out when it hits the top of its trajectory again then it glides from there.

Dont know about fading to the right though as mine seems slightly to the left but I can pin it down pretty straight where I am heading. Mihgt have to try a thumber (disc top opposite direction of tomahawk) to get it right.
Did it work for you? I never did try it on mine... maybe I should if it worked for you :)

Anyone heard anything good about the Gateway Illusion for overhand?

that is my tomahawk disc of choice.

Ouch, I think I'd blow a rotator cuff trying to throw a 1703g disc ;)

You need to grow some chest hair.

But once again let plug the FLASH! Best ever for overhand.

173esh

So, as a kid that played baseball as my primary sport until high school, I figured this would be easy. Ouch is all I have to say. The shoulder is older than it used to be.

Did it work for you? I never did try it on mine... maybe I should if it worked for you :)

Yeah; although I didnt get as much height, it flipped flat then glided back and forth. Used it on 3 250' - 300' water hazard holes and landed all 3 times what would have been within 5 ft of the basket but 2 of thoes baskets were on hills and I had 1 roll way down about 20' and another time it rolled about 15'. Just need to plan for that is all, and it is time that I work on my putting game until I am comfortable out to 20'.

So, as a kid that played baseball as my primary sport until high school, I figured this would be easy. Ouch is all I have to say. The shoulder is older than it used to be.

LOL Make sure you follow through after release is what the Discraft video says but even then, I only use this when it is neccessary or I think it is the best shot. i would never use it as my primary throw.

I'll spend some time with somebody that throws thumbers and tomahawks and try to learn the right way. My distance with the thumber is horrible. It turns over and glides anny and hyzer, but it probably went 150' on my longest drive. Granted, it was windy yesterday and one of them is only 169.

i love the epic.... if there is a headwind
amazing one of a kind disc, with a head wind i can easily outdrive my backhand by 70 ft or so... BUT if your looking for consistency then try some thing else, epics are unpredictable, even for overhands

for me, 100 - 200ft controlled shorter shots - monarch champ 169
distance over 200, prob my predator or firebird

understable turns quickly and consistently for me, overstable will go longer, but wind will play with your disc cause they turn much slower..

as a side note, since monarch is strictly an overhand disc for me(maybe roller too) i recently been using my groove (due to the rim design) thinkin its gotta be a longer monarch, only thrown groove overhand half dozen times or so... but i will say it has some potential, very consistent, longer than my monarch... but its still newer and i dont wanna kill it by slammin it into the ground too much, but i like the predictability of it so far

I have three discs that I use for Thumbers/Tomahawks. Just recently picked up an Epic and I am amazed by the consistency and distance I am getting. I would say my max drive with a thumber before was 250' and my Epic goes over 300' pretty consistently. I would only advise this disc if you have some background in throwing and have a decent arm. When I need a more controlled shorter thumber or tommy, I will thrown an old DX Sidewinder and that works well. For skip tommys I use a Quest AT TBone and have got it to skip a good 6-8 feet in the air on ocassion.

Latest posts