• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top card pure push putters

I was up close and personal watching Ricky warm up at the NHM this year. His disc spins....alot...when he putts.

Push putt creates spin through finger spring, you don't need to flap the wrist or use the elbow or shoulder.

Easy way to show and isolate this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9XHDK1Q7Kk (I got a bit lazy with a few of these - first one especially - where I flapped the wrist open or moved the arm a bit, but there are a number in there that are flying just by opening the fingers rapidly towards the basket. Elbow is isolated and not in use, neither is the shoulder.) using the legs to find some power and timed with springing open the fingers. it's not really a putting style but it shows you the power the fingers and slow, slow, fast can add to the putt.

Try it, lock your elbow and shoulder and starting at the basket work back just trying to eject the disc into the basket using your fingers, it will help your putt in general whatever style you use.

Blake was talking about this on DGR years ago and Beto made a similar video to this.

With putting stick with what works for you but for gods sake try everything till you get there. Don't listen to one person telling you "this is the way to putt" No it's not. I can't putt like Ricky, his fingers are twice my length, they can impart as longer levers far more spring to the putt. It's very useful for me to try out though and to find the bits that work from it. I normally push McBeths style as a style as it is so simple and efficient, very few moving parts and not much to go wrong, unlike Ricky's which is very complicated but honed from years and years of practice. Most people want quick and easy results, McBeths style is more likely to produce those than Rickys.

Try everything and as you are trying everything analyse the bits that are different and what they add but also the issues they bring to the table. There is no "right" style, there is the best style for you,

I'm misremembering actually, the Beto putting video was a snake strike putt with wrist opening and stopping suddenly, what I'm talking about above is pure fingerspring, wrist isn't involved.

I think regardless of style, it is a matter of spending years of daily (or close to it) practice to develop the strength, flexibility, dexterity and speed in the fingers and wrist, which are both loaded with intricate tendons, ligaments and muscle fibers that need to be also strengthened.

Thousands of hours. There is no way around that. I don't think it is a coincidence that the top putters are also some of the strongest throwers (hand/wrist/finger strength again at play). I also don't think it is a coincidence that the ladies, in comparison to the men, struggle inside the circle with putting consistency. I think this mainly goes back to what I mentioned above, in that many of them don't have that same power/strength in their hands/fingers/wrist. There is also size limitations. Someone above mentioned how big Rick's hands are, that certainly helps too.

Male dgolfers often spent their childhoods playing ball games, like baseball and whatnot. This is a huge factor in that many of them have already partially developed that hand/finger strength from other sports, although more sport specific practice (putting) is needed to get pro level consistency (~95% < 33ft)

I think if you put in the practice and develop the power, you can become a great putter with any style of putt or style of disc.

I play a lot of billiards, and I see this similar issue at play. Many (actually all) people attempting to get good at shooting pool have the same issues. I always tell people it's the same thing, in that it takes years of practice to develop the power/strength in the hands/wrist to shoot great pool.

There is no way around that or secret techniques to a short cut. You're simply going to have to spend thousands of hours playing pool to develop this strength if you want to get good, there is no perfect stroke or way to hold a pool stick, or perfect kind of stick.

In pro level billiards, there is also sorts of variations of how the pros hold and shoot, and variations on what type of stick to use. Same thing applies to disc golf, and I was not surprised really to discover this, it was something I had already learned from shooting pool.

Latest posts