• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JK's putt

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Obviously Julianna Korver is a legend. I don't know what her game looked like back in the day, but I assume she was a great putter back then. Hard to get 5x world championships otherwise. But, she has clearly struggled with putting since returning to elite series events.

Watching the Des Moines Challenge coverage I noticed something that she seems to have done, and I'm curious whether it's accidental, intentional, or one of those "this is what I have arrived at" things.

If we look where she was last year, you can she that she clearly is using a spin putt. Elbow bends, wrist has lots of flex on the backswing.
https://youtu.be/LMX9Crr7HDc?t=390.

But now, she is attempting something that I might call the "no spin" putt, or maybe a "true push" putt It's sort of the opposite of what I ?think? a "spush" is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WSXXbc7_04&t=338s

You can see that she has lost all of that wrist flex. Here hand stays in one position the whole time and she just opens it at release.

But, it's not a pitch putt, either. The elbow is bending and then straightening. The disc is moving in more of a linear line, rather than an arc. I'm not sure I've really noticed anything like it. Although, putting styles seem fairly unique, so I guess I've never seen anyone's putting style before, either.

It looks like the big downside is that she can't get any power with it and has to switch back to generating spin for longer putts and then still doesn't have great control of the line. I imagine uphill putts/elevated baskets are a little tricky, too. Much for the same reason.

Absolutely a pitch putt just with bent arm instead of straight arm. Her her arm straightens after she releases and even then it's not to generate spin it's more of a follow through.

Bigger thing is that it's nose down which is why she doesn't get a ton of power on it. Not something that I recommend but some people (IE Ricky) make it work

Absolutely a pitch putt just with bent arm instead of straight arm. Her her arm straightens after she releases and even then it's not to generate spin it's more of a follow through.

Bigger thing is that it's nose down which is why she doesn't get a ton of power on it. Not something that I recommend but some people (IE Ricky) make it work

Except that she is eliminating the part of a push putt that allows you to get more distance by putting with more of an arc.

Except that she is eliminating the part of a push putt that allows you to get more distance by putting with more of an arc.

Maybe but I really don't think it's the end of the world if you're really utilizing your legs. A bigger problem is her lower body fires too soon. She starts moving forward as her disc is still coming back. If her arm and lower body moved together at the same time she would generate way more power and the putts wouldn't be as nose down. Ricky and Catrina are really good about this