• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Trilogy Challenge 2016 discs

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
So here we are again. About time for another Trilogy Challenge. This is the place to post about your thoughts on the three discs. I know it is a little early, but if anyone has any early info for what to expect, please let the rest of us know.

Latitude 64 Opto Falchion (driver): 1.9 cm rim, which is the same as the Saint, Thunderbird, and Thief to give you an idea of the speed, although Latitude has it grouped with the speed 7 fairways in their catalogue. But they don't seem to categorize speed based purely on the rim width, so take it with a grain of salt.

Westside Discs Tournament Sling (midrange): Not really much to go on here. Probably a neutral to slightly understable disc like the Claymore and Evidence the last two years, but just a guess.

Dynamic Discs Prime Marshal (putter): Under the Trilogy Combined Flight Chart on http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/downloads/dynamic-discs/
you can see the Marshal is listed as being a speed 3 that is slightly more stable than the Shield and under the same stability column as the Suspect and Mace. If I had to guess, this would be beaded since the Shield is not, but that is just a guess.

A more stable putter does sound nice. The Shield was nice but once it beat in the stability went away fast. Hoping the sling is a stable midrange because I am sick of the understable midranges for the challenge. And the driver sounds like a good one that you dont have a to have a cannon of an arm to throw it!

I'm trying to understand a 5 5 0 1 Westside disc...

So it's exactly like a Warship, only one click slower - according to those numbers...

Wha?? So I'd pick that one when I want the same flight as my 'ship, but 20 feet shorter? Sorry, does not compute. Besides, don't we already have the Evidence and Compass in that EXACT same slot?

Meanwhile, WS has very little (other than the new Longbowman) on the OVER stable side of fairway drivers. I love me some Westside, but DAMN those guys seem to enjoy cranking out a ton of very similar discs instead of diversifying their lineup with new stuff.

According to InfiniteDiscs...

Falchion: 9/6/-1/2
Sling: 4/5/-1/0
Marshal: 3/3/-1/1

Personally, I love the Elasto Sampos, but it looks like they got the public opinion from last year and went more neutral to understable.

Marshal will be fun to fart around with.
Falchion will work well for the course our club is holding the Trilogy Challenge at, but I can already tell it won't make my bag.
Sling sounds like bunk. Sorry not sorry. Lightly overstable mids and I do not get along...i'm an old grump who is stuck in my ways with beat-in Rocs.

Looks like I will be throwing the marshall and sling at the trilogy challenge. And the falchion not once.

According to InfiniteDiscs...

Falchion: 9/6/-1/2
Sling: 4/5/-1/0
Marshal: 3/3/-1/1

Personally, I love the Elasto Sampos, but it looks like they got the public opinion from last year and went more neutral to understable.

I can see the numbers for the other two, but -1,1 for a stable putter. Especially based on the flight chart that DD release (by the way, I feel like this is pretty accurate for most of the Trilogy discs I have thrown and ignores some of the goofier numbers some discs have on them. I am looking at you King). I would really be surprised if those are the numbers it is given (also DD usually is better about their discs' flight numbers being closer to what most people expect).

I can see the numbers for the other two, but -1,1 for a stable putter. Especially based on the flight chart that DD release (by the way, I feel like this is pretty accurate for most of the Trilogy discs I have thrown and ignores some of the goofier numbers some discs have on them. I am looking at you King). I would really be surprised if those are the numbers it is given (also DD usually is better about their discs' flight numbers being closer to what most people expect).

I tend to take any numbers Westside/L64 put out and knock them 2 ticks to the understable side. DD is a little better, but not much. Sword, Sorcerer, Halo, Riot, all much more understable in my experience. So, to see the Marshal as a -1/1 and billed as "more stable" sounds about right to me. Judges are pretty well dead straight with a mild fade, even if this has more HST when driving with it, but has more LSF when putting, I'd be happy.

To me, it looks like they are all going to be significantly more US than my liking. The Falchion having a glide of 6, rated stability of -1/2 in my experience with Trilogy, that means wind will absolutely eat this puppy alive! If it's a calm day though, could be a solid hyzerflip disc for the Challenge. I'm hoping the Sling will be neutral enough to behave like my Prodigy M4s. Understable, but workable. Still doesn't look like they'll handle power too well. May have to see how workable the Falchion is when powered down. The Marshall, meh. I've never had any problems with Judges or Wardens. They're both solid putters, just not my personal preference, but I'm sure the Marshal will be right in line with the other DD putters and work just fine for the Challenge.

Basically, I'm hopeful for the Falchion to hyzerflip well, but don't look forward to wind. The Sling looks too understable for much more than gentle approaches, and the Marshal will be fine, I'm sure. We'll see here soon! I'd kill for either an OS Driver or Mid on these Challenges, though.

Falchion sounds like a Saint....

Basically I will use the Marshal and Sling on all the holes since the coarse that the local challenge is on is short. Going to have to get creative for the holes I usually throw my Viper on.

I hope the Marshal isn't some stupid shallow putter.

Last edited:
There is a review of the trilogy discs on youtube. The Marshall looks pretty darn close to a shield, though since it has a micro bead it might feel better in the hand for most people.

I'm trying to understand a 5 5 0 1 Westside disc...

So it's exactly like a Warship, only one click slower - according to those numbers...

Wha?? So I'd pick that one when I want the same flight as my 'ship, but 20 feet shorter? Sorry, does not compute. Besides, don't we already have the Evidence and Compass in that EXACT same slot?

Meanwhile, WS has very little (other than the new Longbowman) on the OVER stable side of fairway drivers. I love me some Westside, but DAMN those guys seem to enjoy cranking out a ton of very similar discs instead of diversifying their lineup with new stuff.

First, Compass and Evidence aren't Westside discs. They got a right to fill their own line as they see fit.

Second, Evidence is 5,5,-1,0, nowhere near the same disc as the Compass, which means what it says with 0 turn. Compass is a much more capable all-around mid than the Evidence.

Also, isn't Sling now being called 4,5, -1, 0?

That's a really good video! Im quite a bit more confident throwing the Sling in the Trilogy Challenge now...still dont think it will make the bag though. I can see it beating in quickly to understable. Liking that Marshall too.

That's a really good video! Im quite a bit more confident throwing the Sling in the Trilogy Challenge now...still dont think it will make the bag though. I can see it beating in quickly to understable. Liking that Marshall too.

My same thoughts when seeing the video. However, the Falchion still looks nearly unusable as it's that understable. Good for hyzerflips and turnovers, but won't handle power for a big hyzer shot. Looks like mostly a midrange day!

First, Compass and Evidence aren't Westside discs. They got a right to fill their own line as they see fit.

With a disc that has the EXACT numbers as the Warship, only 1 speed slower... What "hole" are they trying to fill? Who needs this disc in their bag? And if Westside is calling it a 0 | 1 - then you can bet that means -1/2 | 1.

Second, Evidence is 5,5,-1,0, nowhere near the same disc as the Compass, which means what it says with 0 turn. Compass is a much more capable all-around mid than the Evidence.

Sorry, meant the Claymore..

The Evidence (Claymore the year before) was last years mid-range, and it looks for all purposes like WS has slapped a new name on the same freakin' disc. Thought the TC was supposed to be about exposing people to NEW things... not re-creating the same lineup year after year. Claymore, Evidence, and now the Sling.. they are all essentially the same slightly US Mid. I don't see the need for more of them, and it's exactly the disc we had last year. :doh:

Also, isn't Sling now being called 4,5, -1, 0?

There are two different sets of numbers being floated around. 5|5|0|1 is the more recent and (I guess) correct. As I stated - Westside's version of 0 | 1 is quite different from almost anyone else and you can typically add another -1 or even -2 as the disc breaks in. So it'll start as an Evidence and after a month, it'll be a Tursas, basically. Neither of which I need, or fill any sort of "hole" in Westside's lineup, or the larger Trilogy family lineup.

There are two different sets of numbers being floated around. 5|5|0|1 is the more recent and (I guess) correct. As I stated - Westside's version of 0 | 1 is quite different from almost anyone else and you can typically add another -1 or even -2 as the disc breaks in. So it'll start as an Evidence and after a month, it'll be a Tursas, basically. Neither of which I need, or fill any sort of "hole" in Westside's lineup, or the larger Trilogy family lineup.

Typically true with some exceptions. The Shields and Bard I have are even more stable then listed. But most of their drivers are flipper then advertised.

The Sling was fairly straight on that video, so yeah maybe -1,1 and beat in to minus -2. Still not to Tursas territory at -3ish range.

Yeah it's basically a bit shorter Warship looks like. Not a super wise choice I don't think, they should have looked at a disc between the Bard and Warship.

The Falchion looks like a Sidewinder or Fury.

It's not like Westside has a wealth on mids, with just Bard, Warship, and Tursas.

Warship is too long for most the shots I want a mid for. A basic workhorse, do-it-all mid is missing from their lineup. From that vid, Sling looks like it could definitely fill that role.

It's not like Westside has a wealth on mids, with just Bard, Warship, and Tursas.

Warship is too long for most the shots I want a mid for. A basic workhorse, do-it-all mid is missing from their lineup. From that vid, Sling looks like it could definitely fill that role.

Except for most people, I think a "workhorse mid" is something slightly on the stable side, not understable.

If they are gonna start splitting hairs and slotting discs this close, I would have loved to see something between the 'Ship and Bard, instead of between the 'Ship and Tursas. OF course if they would simply export BT/Origio Warships this wouldn't even be an issue. ;)

I have a feeling this disc will end up being a shorter Seer when it's all said and done.

OF course if they would simply export BT/Origio Warships this wouldn't even be an issue. ;)

They should simply do this with Bard...

Maybe it was just me but I could easily substitute the Bard in for a Roc or Ghost but the fact it isn't available in BT Hard means I won't.

The Bard is by far my favorite Trilogy disc I have thrown.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/TrilogyChallenge/?_fb_noscript=1

Posted on this page are the official numbers for the Falchion and Marshal so far (probably will have the Sling #'s up on Friday based on the timing of the other two).
Marshal is 3,4,0,1: So slightly more stable than the Judge and a tad faster.
Falchion 9,6,-1,2: Probably very Escape/Saint like, if #'s are accurate, which is fine by me.
Sling (will update when available)

Latest posts