• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover vs. Forehand

Do you turn your disc over or forehand it?

• Total voters
i voted turnover. i've gotten pretty good at cranking over some of my understable mids. i'm not very secure in my forehand throws. i do see situations where a forehand would work better for me but i just don't have the distance with it yet.

Sure. In most cases, at least on the course that I play regularly, if there is a sharp dogleg, there is a ceiling that limits your shot as well.

I agree, but only on low-ceiling shots.

On a shot with a high ceiling (or no ceiling), you can torque over an anhyzer and cause it to turn 90-degrees or more -- with a forehand, you can't make turns nearly that sharp, even when skipping off the ground.

Since I can throw both shots, I guess it depends on how far the disc needs to curve. If the disc needs to travel farther right, sidearm is the was to go. But, if the disc only needs a gentle turn then the turnover is best.
DSCJNKY

I agree

I agree too. (welcome to the forum)

Just wish my sidearm was better!

I can turnover rocs or auroras fairly darn accurately, so... yea, bread and butter...
cast one vote for turnovers.

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but it really depends on the shot. My forehand is weak but accurate, so the closer I am to putting range, the more likely I am to throw a forehand.

A forehand is the better way to go. Turnover shots are harder to execute with accuracy. Developing a forehand throw also gives you a more balanced game. After I learned the forehand, I've also found that I'm more accurate using a forehand on approaches than when I throw a backhand. Once you learn it, the forehand feels more natural.

i have to agree with mindwind..after seeing people burn me with a smooth forehand for 1-2 years, i picked up on it/practiced it and now it saves me strokes every round with forehand rollers as well..BUT, for maximum distance, there is nothing better than a huge anny "tugged just right"..my forehand is more accurate (most times) but lacking in length.

I turnover my drives a lot, mostly because my sidearm is too inconsistent to even use reliably.

If you want a really good RHGH turnover disc, get a roadrunner.

Turn that sh!t over man. It works for me best. I use a pro valk to pull this off and it works beautifully. I also have a roadrunner but my valk works best.

The discs that make good turnover discs also tend to make good rollers, and it sucks for you to land a disc right next to the basket only to roll 50' away. So I say flick it, cuz it is more likely to stick when it hits. I read some advice that said always throw a hyzer when you can.

And if you want to learn a flick, just tear your left ACL and play a few rounds when you still rely on one crutch- when runup and twisting your hips aren't really options, the standing flick it the best way to get some distance.

I also keep threatening to learn to throw lefty- I can sometimes switch hands in tennis, squash, and bowling, so why not DG?

Depends on the situation really. If your game is solid you are able to do both affectively. For a lot of distance I turn it over (250+) but up to about that distance I use sidearm unless it is around 100 or under and then I go back to the anhyzer. Like others have stated though, it is about your line and distance that determines everything.

Turnover/anny but I'm working on my sidearm. There are a couple of holes that I constantly have trouble with. The fairway is 200' straight, then 100' right at 90 degrees. A sidearm works so much better.

Forehand! But then again I'm just learning backhand. I like my forehand shot, but I will throw a Valkyrie back hand and turn it over or anny a buzzz or my putter. Just depends on the distance really.

It's VERY situational. I am one to go to the FH at any and every opportunity, but...there are those holes that have a turn that is too tight or whatnot that the FH can't be used. Then a turnover must be used.

I only bring this up, because a local course was just redesigned and one of the holes has this very feature. I hate it, because it takes my strength over other players (FH) out of the picture and forces me to throw a BH TO. I hate that hole...:wall:

Daniel

Does it have to be one or the other? I evaluate the hole and decide which one I need depending on a variety of factors: which side can I miss on, how sharp is the turn I need to make, how far down the hole the turn is, how I'm throwing that day, the length of the hole, wind, slope are all things that determine which one I will use on a hole.

I vote FH just because I use it more. There aren't many holes that I use a turnover for, but there are a few that I throw an anhyzer for. FH is easy for me because I played 2nd base on my high school baseball team and the quickest way to get the ball to 1st base is to throw a quick sidearm.

I can throw any shot, so I evaluate the hole before I pick the shot that I am going to throw. Sharp turn after 200 feet=FH, gradual turn shortly after teepad=anhyzer, gradual turn after about 175 feet or more=turnover.

Does it have to be one or the other? I evaluate the hole and decide which one I need depending on a variety of factors: which side can I miss on, how sharp is the turn I need to make, how far down the hole the turn is, how I'm throwing that day, the length of the hole, wind, slope are all things that determine which one I will use on a hole.

Well put frank. 90% of the time I will throw a FH because I have a pretty decent one -- but a turnover shot just works better on certain holes e.g. you dont want it to skip away from the hole.

TURN IT OVER!!!

Have alway loved to see a perfectly thrown understable shot. IMO it's one of the most beautiful parts of the sport. So unnatural, yet so astonoshing.

Working on the forehand though. I agree that if I had a forehand, too, I'd be twice as good. And that goes for anyone.:D

Depends on the situation really. If your game is solid you are able to do both affectively. For a lot of distance I turn it over (250+) but up to about that distance I use sidearm unless it is around 100 or under and then I go back to the anhyzer. Like others have stated though, it is about your line and distance that determines everything.

I'm pretty much about the same as you.

If I am throwing on a dogleg hole, I will throw forehand, and hope for a skip. If I need to get around something, but need to end up straight in front, then I throw a turnover shot.