• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

U-Turn Fairways

Winthrop Gold #4 also plays like this a bit with the mando in play.

ac392dbf.jpg

#3 Charlottes Web and #18 Charlie Vettiner definitely came to mind, both very tough holes that require precision placement of your shot to have a chance at a par.

I do not think that really qualifies as U or a C shaped hole as it does not double back on itself. It is not even a J.....maybe an L? Same could be said about Nest Web 3 or Winthrop Gold 4. I was going to mention Castle Hayne 15 since it keeps turning and turning.....but does not double back on itself.

Killens Pond hole #3 is a U-turn, going left to right, tee and basket are almost perfectly in line with eachother. Since no mando has been officially put in a lot of people use a risky cut across the the middle, especially from the long tee.

I do not think that really qualifies as U or a C shaped hole as it does not double back on itself. It is not even a J.....maybe an L? Same could be said about Nest Web 3 or Winthrop Gold 4. I was going to mention Castle Hayne 15 since it keeps turning and turning.....but does not double back on itself.

I agree, just posted the pic to show it since it was mentioned.

U-Shaped Fairway Question

I have played on several U-Shaped fairways and usually find them fun and challenging. I have a question though...

ArbhA.gif

Say your first drive landed where the red spot is. On your next shot, should your plant foot be at point A or point B? I have only seen people play from point A, but the rules state that "when the disc is released, a player must have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc." So, technically, it should be from point B.

I guess the real question is, "Is the rear edge of the marker disc defined by the direction of the fairway or the location of the basket?"

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I had a V shaped hole designed at Highbridge for the Water Loop holes that haven't gone in yet. The pin was 50 feet to the left of the tee. Your tee shot threw downhill toward the OB pond which was about 275 away. About 210 feet downhill was a big tree that would be marked as a mando. You would go around the right side and then throw back uphill to the pin.

Here's what I envisioned for a "U-turn fairway" at Giles Run.
gilesvisionhole09.jpg

Red/White tees and A/C pins are already there.

Doubt Fairfax County will let me add the rest for another decade or two (If ever). They recently prohibited further thorn clearing until we can schedule a meeting and draw up a written Memorandum Of Understanding.

RHBH throw the banshee with a super sharp hyzer i have been able to get that disc to go around allmost any obstacle

Havent seen or played any of these u shaped holes. It certianly would be critical to have a mando to throw the U instead of overhand shots over the trees.

Here's what I envisioned for a "U-turn fairway" at Giles Run.
gilesvisionhole09.jpg

Red/White tees and A/C pins are already there.

Doubt Fairfax County will let me add the rest for another decade or two (If ever). They recently prohibited further thorn clearing until we can schedule a meeting and draw up a written Memorandum Of Understanding.

do they realize that those thorns are not native and they are actually bad for wildlife and the environment? Just promise to plant some trees here and there and offer to get rid of the problem thorns. By the way that looks like a Capital U it's huge!!!!

Havent seen or played any of these u shaped holes. It certianly would be critical to have a mando to throw the U instead of overhand shots over the trees.

The well designed ones are through tight forrests where its likely 3 shots would be needed to cut thru and 2 good shots will get you to the basket area....U-Turns are a lot of fun.

I like V-turns, C-turns, U-turns, anything that forces a crazy shot thats not traditional....these holes sometimes are more fun when they are short. The cut thru can give a good risk reward option if done properly. I still think Lums and Warwick are the best ones Ive seen so far.

Or decide the best route it to bushwhack from tee to basket.

On some holes, like Charlie Vettiner #18, a thumber is a great 2nd shot to get up and over the trees at the tip of the V if you do not make hit the landing zone at the tip of the V perfectly (400-420' effective D). IMO on that hole, more power to you if you have the arm to make the up and over shot! BTW, on this hole, there is no tee to basket overhand route.

I actually like the U turns w no Mandos...leaves a player debating to rocket an overhand or try to thread the needle/bushwack or just play the U and hope for the best!

Latest posts