• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

U-Turn Fairways

I like V-turns, C-turns, U-turns, anything that forces a crazy shot thats not traditional....these holes sometimes are more fun when they are short. The cut thru can give a good risk reward option if done properly. I still think Lums and Warwick are the best ones Ive seen so far.

Yeah, that hole at Lums is one of my favorite on the course. I love that if your drive comes up short you always have the risky shot through the middle.

Yeah, that hole at Lums is one of my favorite on the course. I love that if your drive comes up short you always have the risky shot through the middle.

I haven't played Lums in a few years but in the early 90's #16 sucked big time, I hated it. Last time played though, I thought it was much much easier
and didn't hate it anymore.

Hole 18 at Circle C Metro Park at Slaughter Creek in Austin, TX, not quite a U, but dang close. Fun hole to play but you end up shooting across a creek to finish up, not too bad during the summer months, but with the rain we have had this winter, if you hit the creek, you may lose your disc.

I played CC #18 once just (last Oct), the creek was very surprising, I threw w/o even knowing water was a factor after a few throws. The hole is extremely long too which seems take some of the U factor out of it.

I do not think that really qualifies as U or a C shaped hole as it does not double back on itself. It is not even a J.....maybe an L? Same could be said about Nest Web 3 or Winthrop Gold 4. I was going to mention Castle Hayne 15 since it keeps turning and turning.....but does not double back on itself.

Beat me to it, as usual. I love that hole, such an easy bird when it's in the long position.

#18 Charlie Vettiner definitely comes to my mind
#17 Borden Park, TN is short but is a sharp 180 degree curve anhyzer for RHBH.

#3 at Pohick is a lower case 'c'. Maybe 100' from tee to pin but forget the straight route (at least the last time I was there), hole is listed at 150', big hyzer swing through some dense woods. Tough deuce for being that short.

Codorus CC #4 and CC #7 from the long tee. X #5 is a crazy S shaped hole.

Seneca #13 long tee to long basket and #20.

Rockburn #10 basket by the next tee.

Patapsco #7 and #8 green monsters.

do they realize that those thorns are not native and they are actually bad for wildlife and the environment? Just promise to plant some trees here and there and offer to get rid of the problem thorns. By the way that looks like a Capital U it's huge!!!!
I think it is more of a mowing expense issue at Giles. It takes 24 mower man hours every 10 days during the mowing season to keep it mowed. Additional mower man hours and fuel expenses are not in the budget.

If you guys clear the thorns, is there going to be OB lines? Or maybe some other sort of obstacle?
My vision of the course is no OB lines other than pedestrian paths or Riparian Protection Areas.
We are extremely careful to save every noninvasive tree species we uncover during thorn removal. Those little 5 foot tall mangled twigs we save will become prominent features of the fairways in ten to fifteen years. Alternate tee and pin placements will make up for the course getting easier because of thorn clearing.

Havent seen or played any of these u shaped holes. It certianly would be critical to have a mando to throw the U instead of overhand shots over the trees.
I am hoping to avoid adding a mando by placing the blue tee next to a 30 foot tall wall of pines and cedars. Over the top shots would require a vertical drive with a 435 foot carry which also clears the 45 foot tall tree line next to the D placement. Risk:\ vs. reward:clap:

Latest posts