• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDISC ups price to $30/year - does DGCR still have a free mobile app for scorekeeping?

In any tournament that I've played with PDGA live there has always been a backup using udisc.
The last few tournaments I've played in allowed players to have multiple scorecards with PDGA Live scoring. It's nice if multiple people on a card are using that platform, because if different scores are entered, it flags it immediately. So, udisc wasn't needed. We do use udisc for unsanctioned events though (as ru4por mentioned). That can be done with a free account, however.

The last few tournaments I've played in allowed players to have multiple scorecards with PDGA Live scoring. It's nice if multiple people on a card are using that platform, because if different scores are entered, it flags it immediately. So, udisc wasn't needed. We do use udisc for unsanctioned events though (as ru4por mentioned). That can be done with a free account, however.
Per new PDGA rules, ALL FOUR players on your card are now mandated to keep score. Most will chose PDGA live.

Same. I've played in 5 or 6 B and C Tiers this year, all have used PDGA Live scoring and required at least 2 players on the card to keep score. No UDisc at any of them.

That isn't quite true either. Most SANCTIONED tournaments use PDGA live scoring. Most UNSANCTIONED tournaments use UDisc. In my area, there are likely more unsanctioned options on any given weekend than not. Non sanctioned leagues also use UDisc, for the most part.
You are right, I should have been clearer that I meant sanctioned tournaments and leagues.

In any tournament that I've played with PDGA live there has always been a backup using udisc.
Most I played in (last year), it was PDGA Live used by two players. The TD has allowed uDisc as a second option, but recommended both use PDGA Live due to that apps ability to quickly identify/highlight any conflicting scores. One 'argument' for using uDisc as the secondary to PDGA Live is if something happens to PDGA Live (servers go offline, whatever) your scores aren't lost until the app comes back up.

Yes the price is increasing, but they also changed it so you can have free UNLIMITED scorecards on the free version now. So you really only need to pay if you want your stats from previous rounds. Or am I totally reading all of this incorrectly? I'd actually JUST added the Pro membership because I was playing more out of town courses where I wanted to use the free scorecard feature (I could already use the free scorecard feature for tournaments and leagues set up on UDISC after I checked in even with the basic membership that wouldn't let me create new scorecards anymore). So I cancelled the Pro membership, and back to the basic free one because I just want it for scorecards anyways.

I actually don't really get the price-hike plus added free features of unlimited scorecards...seems like it's pushing people to just go back to basic free membership.

And a corresponding decrease in costs. I would assume their aim is to increase the revenue per user, even if that results in fewer users.
How much decrease in cost if people still keep the free account?

I've canceled my UDisc membership and won't be updating the courses I take care of on the app. I'll post a sign on hole one tee to pay attention to pin markers on the each tee sign. I didn't need it when I started playing 25 years ago and don't need it now. Especially if they want to take my rights away because I called out a stupid review and reviewer lol.

What's funny is I was so wrapped up in having perfect reviews and making sure everyone else was happy with the courses I kind of forgot how to have fun and just enjoy playing. So it's actually a relief and I don't care what the reviews say there anymore.

Just found out UDisc increased it's annual subscription price from $15 to $30. I used to keep score on DGCR for free. I uninstalled the app from my phone, and now I can't find it. Does anybody have a free scorekeeper they use on their phone? One thing I liked about UDISC is I could also export all scores to a CSV file, but I doubt that's going to be an option with a free app.

FYI, you can still keep score with UDISC for free, but you won't be able to access your career stats unless you pay the premium

Sounds like "grow the sport" has done nothing but make more money for a few folks.

Sounds like "grow the sport" has done nothing but make more money for a few folks.

$30 a year for a solid app with a number of useful features seems pretty reasonable to me. If someone develops a tool that enhances my enjoyment of the sport, I don't see why they shouldn't make money from it.

Latest posts