• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ugh. I am SO done with forehand driving...

Carl311

I am pretty much finished with trying to drive forehand dominant. I thought that I would be able to develop my forehand shot into my primary driving shot, but its not working out.

My whole arm hurts after a round, my form is crappy, my distance is mediocre, and my FH throws have more OAT than a bowl of cerial. The OAT and arm sorness is what kills me the most.

So, I am thinking about working on my BH drives. I still have a passable FH throw for those situations where it is warranted. I hear that the BH throw has more distance potential then FH anyways, and I would really like to get to 300' this summer.

So, im busting out my flippy beat esp buzzz (which was worthless for throwing FH) to start working on my BH throw again. Im too impatient to field practice, so im gonna take it to the shorter 9 hole course and start throwing BH. All BH all the time.

Disc golf has been fun so far, but im getting to the point now that I kindof want to get good at it and play in some tournys this summer.

Rant over.

What kind of grip do you use on your forehand.. I know a lot of people use 2 fingers, but I use one finger. I find it easier to control as well as easier to get a good snap. Try something overstable if you are going to throw forehand...

I am pretty much finished with trying to drive forehand dominant. I thought that I would be able to develop my forehand shot into my primary driving shot, but its not working out.

My whole arm hurts after a round, my form is crappy, my distance is mediocre, and my FH throws have more OAT than a bowl of cerial. The OAT and arm sorness is what kills me the most.

So, I am thinking about working on my BH drives. I still have a passable FH throw for those situations where it is warranted. I hear that the BH throw has more distance potential then FH anyways, and I would really like to get to 300' this summer.

So, im busting out my flippy beat esp buzzz (which was worthless for throwing FH) to start working on my BH throw again. Im too impatient to field practice, so im gonna take it to the shorter 9 hole course and start throwing BH. All BH all the time.

Disc golf has been fun so far, but im getting to the point now that I kindof want to get good at it and play in some tournys this summer.

Rant over.

Couple things to try and get your FH going (I was equal FH and BH, around 375' accurately):

1) Make sure the "pad" of your finger is FLAT AGIANST THE RIM OF THE DISC. Otherwise, you're going to pop it up and go nowhere. Also grip the disc tightly with your thumb. I've seen some grip it lightly, but it doesn't work for me. Really focus on these two.

2) Right now, I don't do the run up like Avery or any of the "power" FH'ers out there. What I do is a two step run up (for RHs)--R, L, BOOM. I take my hand back, cock my wrist back as far as I can, and then "snap the towel." The faster you "push" the disc out of your hand, the more spin, faster, and further it will go. This technique is not perfect but it will get you distance and accuracy quickly (what you wanted).

3) Really get your abs/obliques in shape. The stronger your core is, the better you can throw FH. I take a weight (whatever you can do without too much strain) in one hand and just let it pull me down as I'm standing normally. Then I bring it back up using the opposite oblique. This and normal crunches will have you throwing better FH and BH.

Just tryin' to help,

Daniel

I use a one finger grip as well.

Try keeping your elbow as close to your body as possible and use your hips to "fire" the disc. When your arm gets farther from your body, the more it probably hurts...

yea unless the FH comes naturally to you its probably better to focus on BH. Most FH dominant throwers use it because they learned it first and easy.

If you wanna get any better you have to commit to some field practice though. And get a stack of plastic (at least 4-6) so you can throw a couple in a row. Trust me, even a couple weeks of focused field practice will yield results. You may not gain a ton of D immediately but your accuracy will improve for sure, and quick.

but dont give up on the FH, it is incredibly useful. plenty of guys never even bother to try throwing it. right now i throw it with no run-up, just one step. it helps the accuracy a ton.

Lol, ive pretty much done all of the things mentioned above, and with moderate success.

I just want to take a break from FH for a while to work on my BH. I can only get a mid to 200' or so with my BH, and i can FH a mid to about 275. I just want to get the same D out of each shot and get my BH shot going for distance drives b/c fh hurts my shoulder a bit.

yea if its hurting you take some time off. Its too early in the season to get injured. just dont shelve it and completely lose the shot. even if you eventually can only throw FH 250-300ft and never pass that mark, it will give you a huge advantage. trust me. there are times when the course and conditions favor a FH over a turnover shot.

and i hate to sound like a broken record but if your BH mids are only going about 200 you should practice with putters and get those out to 150-200. putter practice helps your scores improve, but also will improve your technique on other throws as well.

Good idea there to work on BH. :clap: I have never done a formal survey, but from my observation I would guess 80%+ of 1000 rated players use BH 90%+ of the time.

If those who have applied themselves to achieve that level of accomplishment have settled on BH, I am guessing that those who are serious about improving would do well to consider doing likewise.

If you are more about having fun (which is great IMO), do whatever you want!

Rant over.

Dude, I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. Now, I throw almost all BH, all the time. Except it wasn't my shoulder, it was my elbow.

I don't know why nobody has told you to throw putters and mids forehand, as that is the common advice when trying to improve backhand. If I were you, I would find an ultimate disc and a buddy and throw it around forehand for a while, not long tosses just short accurate throws focusing on keeping it flat. Then maybe move up to an aviar or something like that, but throwing it the same way.
This is how I learned forehand, first playing ultimate for 4 years then playing disc golf. Throwing an ultimate disc really make you think about spin. I'd say that a large percent of disc golfers who throw forehand probably would turn and burn an ultimate disc whereas most backhanders could probably throw it right off the bat.

Good advice from Cradical. If an Ultimate lid is too big, try a Gopher or similar disc. I keep one in my car to play catch with before monthlies. Really nice disc for that purpose, and it's legal for golf.

Playing Ultimate in general will develop your forehand because forcing forehand was nearly universal at beginner levels. You either throw forehand or you don't advance the disc.

ETA: this is a force, if you're unfamiliar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_frisbee#Force

I used to have severe tennis elbow (tendonitis) when I threw FH, but once I cleaned up my form, it went away. It's ALL form-related.

As to the 80% of 1000 rated players throwing mostly BH...that's because a vast majority of holes don't require a FH. Only a few lefty courses and a few other holes really call for a FH. I could certainly throw BH on almost every hole I normally would play. However, I choose FH most of the time on these holes for ease and accuracy.

Just my $0.02.

Daniel

Throwing an ultimate disc really make you think about spin. I'd say that a large percent of disc golfers who throw forehand probably would turn and burn an ultimate disc whereas most backhanders could probably throw it right off the bat.

I think that's because everyone says, "Throw something overstable FH..." and it compensates and worsens form. It's a crutch.

I have no intention of abandoning my FH shot, im just taking a little break right now. I have been working on my FH form with mids and putters and it improved a lot, but Im ready to work on BH right now.

In the end, I hope to have both shots so I can use them as necessary on the course.