• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Understable disc to hold a turn to the ground

A Gold Line River will beat in quickly to understable goodness. An Opto River will beat in more slowly, but will get there.

Likewise, a Gold Line Fury starts out stable-to-understable, then gets more understable relatively quickly.

Buy two, use one for a week/month, then the other. That's not cycling, but rotating so that if you lose one, the other is in the same general condition while you get a new one to become the new backup.

That is, buy two Furys or Rivers. You're right that a Champ RR would take forever to season in a backup...

You might try the RR or SW in StarLite.

Other discs I have that can do that, and often insist on doing that:
Blizzard Katana
UnLace
Dragon
(I know I'm forgetting something...)

The first two are definitely well-seasoned. :)

You might try the RR or SW in StarLite.

Other discs I have that can do that, and often insist on doing that:
Blizzard Katana
UnLace
Dragon
(I know I'm forgetting something...)

The first two are definitely well-seasoned. :)

Not bad ideas. Especially the Katana. Season in a lightweight one, and it can be a good straight or turnover disc.

After watching a Hannah Leatherman video, I got a Pro Katana and started chucking it in the woods on some of the technical holes, making sure to observe good form and accuracy over distance. It's been doing surprisingly well for me. Tree hits sound scary awful, though.....

TP underworld, TP Underworld, or TP Underworld.

You'll thank me later.

Not bad ideas. Especially the Katana. Season in a lightweight one, and it can be a good straight or turnover disc.

After watching a Hannah Leatherman video, I got a Pro Katana and started chucking it in the woods on some of the technical holes, making sure to observe good form and accuracy over distance. It's been doing surprisingly well for me. Tree hits sound scary awful, though.....
Ah! I was forgetting the somewhat seasoned Echo Star Archon!

I latched onto the Katana when I was new and looking for discs that would float (it's 139g). I got the best distance with it of anything at the time (next best was the StarLite RR). It beat in rather quickly and started turning way right. I hadn't learned how to hyzerflip yet, and didn't know what to do with it, so it has only been used in the last 5 years for water shots (it went into the drink a time or two, but either by rolling in or splashing down near shore, so it wasn't lost). I've found a couple more heavier Katanas in the last couple of years, but they are fairly stable/overstable w/o being seasoned and there isn't room for them in my bag.

The short of it is that I am now ambivalent about the Katana. Star Shrykes and Roadrunners are more useful as drivers, and if I can throw a mid instead, then I'll use a Comet or Tremor.

What speed class are you looking for? It would seem that lots of companies have a plethora of flipiness out theese days. Out of the box RR, SW, Archangel, Mamba, Underworld, Hatchet, Heat, Xpress, you can do a quick bit of reaearch IMO anythong with a -2 or greater turn range is going to be what you want some of them may take a little seasoning to knock all of the fade out of them.

DGA Sail if you are looking for a driver, it's long and glidey and holds the anny all the way. For a mid, X Comet. Mine's beat in and it will do the same, just shorter obviously. I also throw an Underworld but it's heavy, premium plastic and tends to flatten out of the anny and finish straight. It's a great disc and I often need that shot.

The most important thing I've found for annys is that you have to keep the nose down. If you get the nose up, most any disc wil come out of the anny if you've got some height on the shot.

That star Leo is a very straight disc out of the box.

Also a champ rr is a pretty straight disc until you hammer it off a bunch of trees.

I think you will have exactly what you are looking for once you season those discs.

Ah! I was forgetting the somewhat seasoned Echo Star Archon!

I latched onto the Katana when I was new and looking for discs that would float (it's 139g). I got the best distance with it of anything at the time (next best was the StarLite RR). It beat in rather quickly and started turning way right. I hadn't learned how to hyzerflip yet, and didn't know what to do with it, so it has only been used in the last 5 years for water shots (it went into the drink a time or two, but either by rolling in or splashing down near shore, so it wasn't lost). I've found a couple more heavier Katanas in the last couple of years, but they are fairly stable/overstable w/o being seasoned and there isn't room for them in my bag.

The short of it is that I am now ambivalent about the Katana. Star Shrykes and Roadrunners are more useful as drivers, and if I can throw a mid instead, then I'll use a Comet or Tremor.

My DX Katana is in the 150g class. It's so flippy understable that it turns my wrist over just while holding it in my hand. ;). Seriously, it's understable. I threw it nearly vertical, and it hyzer-flipped all the way over into a roller. I did find that if I threw that DX Katana with almost no power, just going through the arm motion and getting good wrist snap, like the 'gentle' way I'd throw a 150-class DX Polecat, that Katana actually got some good distance. My Star Katana at 164g is on the overstable side of things.

My Echostar Archon is fun to throw and will season in over time, but doesn't quite have that glide that I like in my distance drivers...

I like lighter weight star and GStar roadrunners for this, like 165-166g. Still have to get them up to speed though.

My all time favorite is the X Xpress. As understable as a DX Leopard, but somewhat more durable and with the distance of faster fairway drivers.

Also the GStar Leopard is more of a "hold the line" disc for me with usually only a small amount of turn, but I like it for controllable anhyzers. It just seems easier to throw an anhyzer with this disc because it's not really speed sensitive and it powers down really well.

I have a dx sidewinder that is in the range you are looking for, my star sidewinder started out almost like a Teebird and is slowly beating to us.
mako3 is a good option, but a lot slower. I have a td2 that is faster and in that stability range, I came by it used though so not sure how a fresh one throws.
Last years acerace disc from disc craft is supper flippy and speed 6 iirc.
The nose angle is also super important, as slowplastic mentioned, getting the nose down makes a big difference in holding that anny longer