• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unsure of where to go from here... suggestions?

fretgod321

Par Member
Been playing for 5 years now, though a lot more seriously in the past 2. I'm not really sure what my range is, as i have never tried to measure, though i'm pretty sure I throw over 300 at least.

Basically, this is where my bag has developed to after phasing in and out of different discs and i was wondering if i have any gaps or overlap. All suggestions welcome

Drivers:
172g Champ Teebird (Normal distance driver, barely beaten in.)
170g DX Teebird (quite beaten in and flippy, used as turnover driver and hyzer flip disc)
174 DX Teebird (moderately beaten in, not really used that much since getting the champ teebird.)
175g Star Starfire (haven't used this disc as much either since working on discing down, used to use it for distance drives.)
175g Star Firebird (overstable driver, used for left-turning holes and driving into the wind.)
171g Champ Leopard (This has become my go-to driver, great for straight, controlled drives and hyzer flips)
Mids:
Max weight Z Buzzz (My workhorse disc, does whatever i want it to do and will hold whatever line i put it on.)
176g DX Viper (haven't used this one recently either. general overstable mid)

Putters:
175g S Series Wizard (Main putter, also used for some approach shots)
173g Soft Wizard (fairly new and feels pretty stiff. used for approach shots and short drives)
171g ESP Zone (all around utility approach disc. used for spike hyzers, and short, sharp-turning holes)

In transition:
Soft Magnet (bought this on a whim to see how it compared to my wizards, sortof as a backup putter mold due to how inconsistent gateway's molds can be)
172g DX Firebird (had this before the star firebird, barely worn and worked great for me.)

Last edited:
what about a valk for longer s curves? its not too fast and could add some distance over your leopard

solid setup. I would recommend a longer understable driver, unless you throw some forehand in there as well.

maybe a valk as suggested (try pro plastic!), or a star roadrunner. I would also recommend keeping driver weights to no more than 171-172g, which you have done.

thanks, a valk or roadruner/sidewinder was what i was considering. i don't throw too much forehand; used to drive forehand, but now just use it for approach shots and for getting out of trouble.

thanks, a valk or roadruner/sidewinder was what i was considering. i don't throw too much forehand; used to drive forehand, but now just use it for approach shots and for getting out of trouble.

You've got to get an Ion for this. Mindblowingly amazing.

My only critique of your bag is you have: meathook driver (FB), mid (Viper), and putter (Zone). To me, 2/3 is good enough. I'd drop the odd man out (Viper) and see if you miss it.

Also, for a lot of left turning holes, I get way more D out of hyzering something stable or even understable and timing the flip to flat with the bend in the hole so that the disc fades forward down the fairway instead of falling to the earth like a sack of hammers. Food for thought if you haven't. I literally did this :doh: when I discovered this trick.

Yeah, i was thinking about dropping the viper; it's pretty much just been sitting in my bag. Good advice with the hyzer bit. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Which Ion would you reccomend, the soft, medium, or soft proton?

Last edited:
The Soft Proton are the newest run, they're just like Softs except they don't have the smooth textured inside rim and the tooling is engraved into the rim like the Vectors instead of on the flight plate like most discs. I haven't thrown any of them yet but I imagine they're just like regular Softs.

Softs are the bomb. I think they're the longest, they have a little bit of turn and a little more fade than the Mediums. Great BH driving putter and what I use for FH approaches. I like the smooth, satin texture on these, I get ridiculously clean releases for flicking a putter.

Mediums are the straightest overall. They're much better to putt with due to firmness and a better choice if you don't like any flex in your disc. They also have the traditional tooling and smooth under-rim.

Personally, I love the Softs. They're amazing and easy to trade off if you don't like it. They're not floppy by any means, just the perfect level of gummy flex.

It's really opened up my FH approach game, you just pop the wrist and they'll laser at the basket.

Latest posts