• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uphill anhyzers

ray1970

* Ace Member *
So, a shot that I struggle with the most is trying to throw a backhand anhyzer uphill. Getting the disc high and keeping the nose down is just tricky for me and more often than not the disc will fight out and finish left.

Any secret tricks for throwing uphill that will make sure I keep the nose down?

Slower or more understable disc.

Ha. I guess that's the one thing I am doing right. I will typically throw a flippy mid or occasionally something like a Hatchet. Turning them right on flat ground is typically not a problem. I know I'm getting the nose up throwing uphill. I guess I just need to find an area to practice the shot and work on it.

I was hoping maybe there was an easy fix. Like sticking my tongue out when I throw or something.

I'm not all that good, so take this for what it's worth.

I prefer to throw a hyzer flip with a super flippy disc in these situations. Hyzer release is just much more natural to me. Trying to throw anhyzer and uphill isn't playing to my strengths.

I'm not all that good, so take this for what it's worth.

I prefer to throw a hyzer flip with a super flippy disc in these situations. Hyzer release is just much more natural to me. Trying to throw anhyzer and uphill isn't playing to my strengths.

My flippy mid flies like a-3/0. On flat ground it has to come out of my hand on hyzer or bad things happen. Throwing it uphill I try to send it flat and just let it work right but if I get the nose up it always seems to fight out of the turn rather than hold it.

My flippy mid flies like a-3/0. On flat ground it has to come out of my hand on hyzer or bad things happen. Throwing it uphill I try to send it flat and just let it work right but if I get the nose up it always seems to fight out of the turn rather than hold it.

I'm talking more like -6 or more turn. I used a thrashed dx beast in this slot. I'd use it for low power, standstill, recovery shots and uphills primarily. Hyzer flipping in both cases. I'd probably only bust it out once per round.

The beast has since become uncontrollably flippy at basically any speed, but you can throw some crazy lines with a super flippy disc.

Are you standing on flat ground before the uphill or are you on the hill yourself?

The disc isn't aware of the hills existence they think you're just throwing extra high. Along the lines of what Count said I *usually* like the hyzerflip route here and to keep it as low as possible parallel to the hill. Occasionally I'll sky one if foliage/whatever is in the way but I tend to get the best results keeping these shots as low as will allow for the distance I'm (reasonably) seeking.

Similarly your body needs to be "leaning forward" in order to be perpendicular to gravity. What I mean here is "if I throw X height with Y release angle at Z power level my disc will travel ____ and land ____" is what we process off the tee. If your bodies orientation is off due to standing on the hill then the example throw I just mentioned won't apply. Your weight/footing/arm swing etc will all actually be in the incorrect locations.

There is one particular hole that I struggle with. Hole #11 at Ultra Disc Golf Park in Fort Collins, CO. It's a 360' hole with OB left and right. The tee pad is flat and level but the fairway plays uphill. Not even steeply uphill and maybe only 30' of elevation with trees to the right and the basket kind of sits behind those trees. When I do get a good shot off, it pushes straight, has that late drift right, and lands flat in the middle and the fairway. When I mess it up my shot fades left, down the hill towards OB. The fairway is kind of a ridge and drops off left and right. I'm sure my description isn't the best. Wish you had pictures.

Anyways, if I had a forehand that is probably the play. I trust my forehand less than most politicians.

Are you standing on flat ground before the uphill or are you on the hill yourself?

The disc isn't aware of the hills existence they think you're just throwing extra high. Along the lines of what Count said I *usually* like the hyzerflip route here and to keep it as low as possible parallel to the hill. Occasionally I'll sky one if foliage/whatever is in the way but I tend to get the best results keeping these shots as low as will allow for the distance I'm (reasonably) seeking.

Similarly your body needs to be "leaning forward" in order to be perpendicular to gravity. What I mean here is "if I throw X height with Y release angle at Z power level my disc will travel ____ and land ____" is what we process off the tee. If your bodies orientation is off due to standing on the hill then the example throw I just mentioned won't apply. Your weight/footing/arm swing etc will all actually be in the incorrect locations.

Yep. If you don't lean forward in that scenario and you're tilted too far back, your disc is gonna go straight up into the air and then just dump out to the left really harshly leaving you to stand there with your hands on your hips angrily looking at the sky :p

The answer is more understable until it stops fading out on you. Really depends on the angle of the shot. Sometimes I'll bag a specific disc for a dramatically uphill hole in a tournament.

Just throw a roller. =)

Without really being able to see or play the hole, its tough to make an accurate suggestion.

A lot of times one of the easiest ways to throw up hill is a hyzer flip.
But if you're throwing a dogleg right, then. that's not necessarily the shot.

Generally up hill you wanna go flippy unless you got room, then you can cheat with a force turnover to fade back.

The best answer is.
Grab an Envy, throw it up the middle.
Throw it up to the basket, take a 3.

There is one particular hole that I struggle with. Hole #11 at Ultra Disc Golf Park in Fort Collins, CO. It's a 360' hole with OB left and right. The tee pad is flat and level but the fairway plays uphill. Not even steeply uphill and maybe only 30' of elevation with trees to the right and the basket kind of sits behind those trees. When I do get a good shot off, it pushes straight, has that late drift right, and lands flat in the middle and the fairway. When I mess it up my shot fades left, down the hill towards OB. The fairway is kind of a ridge and drops off left and right. I'm sure my description isn't the best. Wish you had pictures.

Anyways, if I had a forehand that is probably the play. I trust my forehand less than most politicians.

This specific hole you have to think about being tight to the inside of that line. I have played it many of time and think I have finally figured it out (too bad the course is likely going to close). Are you playing for the 2? I know that its a tough reach for a lot of people. Takes probably 350-375' power to park it.

I throw my flippiest crave flat to slightly turned over on that hole and am aiming pretty much at 12's tee. Only 4 or 5 feet from the tree that starts the corner on the right. I have never had an issue with a cut roll there so I error on the side of too much turn. The hill and OB are punishing. Its just uphill enough to make nose angles tough, and the most common wind is right to left tailwind, which obviously makes it much tougher.

Just throw a roller. =)

Without really being able to see or play the hole, its tough to make an accurate suggestion.

A lot of times one of the easiest ways to throw up hill is a hyzer flip.
But if you're throwing a dogleg right, then. that's not necessarily the shot.

Generally up hill you wanna go flippy unless you got room, then you can cheat with a force turnover to fade back.

The best answer is.

Playing this one for a 3 is a totally valid option. Playing events in Open usually only 1 or 2 people get this one per card. Sometimes none.

The roller is a fun option (its my play when we play to the next basket) but there is a hill left and right of the basket. Really tough to put one in the circle there.

Playing this one for a 3 is a totally valid option. Playing events in Open usually only 1 or 2 people get this one per card. Sometimes none.

The roller is a fun option (its my play when we play to the next basket) but there is a hill left and right of the basket. Really tough to put one in the circle there.

Sometimes the key is to identify holes that you need to play for par and let everyone else Eat **** on it.
if 2 or 3 guys can get a bird on it, that's cool.
But you're looking for the other 30+ guys to eat **** while you get par.

Sometimes the key is to identify holes that you need to play for par and let everyone else Eat **** on it.
if 2 or 3 guys can get a bird on it, that's cool.
But you're looking for the other 30+ guys to eat **** while you get par.

I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't have to make that choice on this hole, but I will definitely admit when something isn't in my wheel house and lay up. The hardest is stepping up to shots I used to have and knowing I need to lay up these days. . .

In general I feel the actual hole layout can really sway the technique I want to use but my go to uphill strategy is an Underworld. If it is uphill and some right action I just crank it flat and fairly high and just let the understability do the rest. For me this is very consistent on our local course and the 2s are very frequent albeit not the toughest greens to park.

High right moving shots do need alot of understability to not flex out, also I find it easier to throw a more understable disc on flat to slight hyzer to keep the nose flat than flexing.

so maybe try to gather some understable fairways and try to find something that feels good and matches your more neutral/slight hyzer release

The best answer is.

You are probably correct. I should just pump a flat putter shot to the middle and then pitch up and putt.

This specific hole you have to think about being tight to the inside of that line. I have played it many of time and think I have finally figured it out (too bad the course is likely going to close). Are you playing for the 2? I know that its a tough reach for a lot of people. Takes probably 350-375' power to park it.

I throw my flippiest crave flat to slightly turned over on that hole and am aiming pretty much at 12's tee. Only 4 or 5 feet from the tree that starts the corner on the right. I have never had an issue with a cut roll there so I error on the side of too much turn. The hill and OB are punishing. Its just uphill enough to make nose angles tough, and the most common wind is right to left tailwind, which obviously makes it much tougher.

Definitely not playing this hole for two. Just trying to keep the tee shot on top to avoid any OB and leave myself an easy approach.

I do kind of aim for the tee pad for 12. If I go too understable and get too turn I sometimes find myself in the trees on the right or down by the fence with no second shot. If I get the nose up and it fights out of the turn and hyzers then I'm down the hill on the left bringing OB into play and having a blind approach.

I'm hoping the course stays open. I hear they sold the building with the bar but they still have the stables for the Clydesdales and it seems like most of the course might be on brewery property? Guess we'll see what happens. If I owned a bar I'd love to pick up customers from the disc golf course during or after rounds.

I'm hoping the course stays open. I hear they sold the building with the bar but they still have the stables for the Clydesdales and it seems like most of the course might be on brewery property? Guess we'll see what happens. If I owned a bar I'd love to pick up customers from the disc golf course during or after rounds.

Essentially the tasting room/"restaurant" rent the space and they were the ones in charge of course liability/making the money off of it. It's currently for sale and the fate of the course is pending the new tenants use.
It's out of the way of everything. They need good food and entertainment to sway people to come out. The food stunk and AB beers aren't worth driving out of town to sample.

I really hope we keep the course as well, its fun casual golf and a good tourney venue even if its not the biggest or most challenging. I always leave feeling like I need to come back asap to redeem myself.

Also, if I had to pick a favorite hole 11 is probably my favorite hole on the course.