• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC 2023 - 25th edition

Once someone's voice, phrases or mannerisms get on your nerves there is no way to ignore them and it becomes hard to enjoy a broadcast when that person is on the mic.
Personally, I think Philo is the best announcer in the sport and I prefer him to everyone else out there. I like the overall vibe when he is on the mic and I think his sayings and mannerisms are hilarious.

Philo has been talking over Kenny some, but I also think Kenny is more measured. That leaves philo and Ian to try and avoid dead air.

The main change would that when Ken does start to speak, Philo recognizes and stops talking.

Climo seemed kinda stiff on day 1, maybe just some first day jitters. Philo talking over him was annoying. I was also annoyed they addressed him as champ EVERY time. They all got better on day 2 though.

I think Climo's commentary is insightful and I'm enjoying it a ton though. I hope he continues next year.

I kept thinking there was some weird audio echo. Nah, that's just Philo.

Climo is good on the mic as he has been before.

The commentary did improve drastically for day 2.

Surprised that only 1 guy dropped off the lead card. Happy to see Klein keep it going.

Not hating on Freeman at all either. Dude has some crazy OS plastic. (Hole 6 drive, hole 13 upshot)

Loving the Tipton forehands. Its not only muscled one angle shots like many of the big flickers usually do.

Its becoming too late for many candidates that were in the discussion leading up to the event. I'll venture nobody out of the top 5, well maybe top 7 currently brings it down. Wind is in the predictions so that could shuffle things up a lot. Kinda hoping moving day does its thing and we get a fire final rounds lead card.

Bummed for Anttila but hey they got a nice Finns card (+Proctor) where everybody shot a fairly hot round so I'm thinking a chance to feed off each other.

The commentary did improve drastically for day 2.

Surprised that only 1 guy dropped off the lead card. Happy to see Klein keep it going.

Not hating on Freeman at all either. Dude has some crazy OS plastic. (Hole 6 drive, hole 13 upshot)

Loving the Tipton forehands. Its not only muscled one angle shots like many of the big flickers usually do.

Its becoming too late for many candidates that were in the discussion leading up to the event. I'll venture nobody out of the top 5, well maybe top 7 currently brings it down. Wind is in the predictions so that could shuffle things up a lot. Kinda hoping moving day does its thing and we get a fire final rounds lead card.

Bummed for Anttila but hey they got a nice Finns card (+Proctor) where everybody shot a fairly hot round so I'm thinking a chance to feed off each other.
Idk, Freeman has a history of kinda falling apart in big moments, Sullivan is totally unproven and I feel like Bradley's been putting above his level. If Klein takes 1 or 2 big numbers then that totally opens it up for the field and I could totally see someone in the top 9(to 11) or even Eagle pull of a big win from behind.

If I were to pick a favorite it would be Klein, though, followed by Freeman, just because his throwing is so on point.

Freeman seems more positive than he usual.
He had a few bad shots/bad results and didn't seem to gripe outloud.
(he is hard to like when he is whining and biitching)
I would love to see him win, but I'm sure I am in the minority.
Let's go Joel!!!

Being from Michigan, if I could choose who wins I would pick Klein.
Let's go Kyle!!!

I'm a big Brad Williams fan too.
Let's go Brad!!!

Freeman seems more positive than he usual.
He had a few bad shots/bad results and didn't seem to gripe outloud.
(he is hard to like when he is whining and biitching)
I would love to see him win, but I'm sure I am in the minority.
Let's go Joel!!!

Being from Michigan, if I could choose who wins I would pick Klein.
Let's go Kyle!!!

I'm a big Brad Williams fan too.
Let's go Brad!!!

Slow start for the ladies so far.

Joel doesn't bother me too much. Sure he bitches, but no more than Simon or Eagle when they make a poor shot. I like Joel's game.

And dang can Eveliina bomb!

On the FPO side I have been in "anyone but Kristen" mode for quite awhile.
I do like Tattar, but I just don't like seeing someone dominate and get ahead by 5+ strokes so often. I just want a more balanced field where tourneys come down to the last few holes.

Quote from Zoe after watching a Tattar drive "Flipped it to flat and watched it hyzer to the basket". This is one of those pet peeve nomenclature things.

It's a hyzer-flip, but it fades to the basket, not hyzers to the basket. Hyzer is release angle, not how a disc finishes.

Otherwise I am enjoying the Eisenhood, Andyke, Korver team.

James Proctor came off pretty dickish in his interview with Nate Perkins. He took complete credit for Eveliina being in the lead. He even called her clueless and said his advice to her is only reason she is doing well. He did give her props for throwing well though.

He does seem like a super positive influence on her though with the good positive feedback and keep her light and relaxed.

Last edited:
I do like Tattar, but I just don't like seeing someone dominate and get ahead by 5+ strokes so often. I just want a more balanced field where tourneys come down to the last few holes.
I really like that FPO have a "superstar" that IS the one to beat. . in MPO we have a "player of the week" deal at the moment. . for me that is WAY less fun

Fun to see this type of play from Kristen. . she often starts lights out R1-R2 and slows down. . .here she started slow and just destroys the field in R3

I understand the desire to see a more competitive FPO, but I like the fact that Kristin's sets the bar with a well-balanced game that's pretty much elite level in every aspect of the game, with no relative weaknesses.

Evaliina and Henna simply need to shore up their putting... consistently... and they'd be right their with her. I think Ella and Hollyn are still improving, and could be pushing her soon.

Missy is pretty consistently near the top, but I think a good forehand might help her drop another stroke or two.

Haley's got all the tools, but just needs to develop consistency.

Seems those relative weaknesses creep into the equation, and sometimes their minds.

I think a huge part of Tattar's consistently high level of play is a direct result of her ability to focus on her game, execute her game plan, and not get distracted by how other players are playing.

Getting (and keeping) your head in a healthy mindset might be the most critical (but least talked about) skill in the game.

Last edited:

Latest posts