• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Utility OS disc

elkevo

Par Member
I've been considering adding an OS fairway/control driver to my bag. Mainly for utility and those rare shots that need to fade deep left (RHBH). I throw my current fairway drivers 250'-300'. Any recommendations on an OS complement?

I have these discs available to me right now:
Star Teebird (171g)
Champ Banshee (170g maybe?)
Star Thunderbird (unsure)
Star Firebird (unsure)

I really like the viper, but it's not a meat hook like a firebird. For your power it would be hard to go wrong with a whippet or firebird. Whippet will be a little longer than the firebird.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'd go with the Banshee if its still newish. Great utility disc. Its also very workable because of its rim width. You can use it like an OS mid by powering down a little but can still get plenty of fade at higher speeds. Cant go wrong with a firebird either.

If you want to try something from a different manufacturer, try a MVP Resistor. Similar to the banshee flight wise.

Some people refer to this as the "Firebird slot" because it's pretty much the standard disc for this slot/shot. Stability will vary depending on plastic and run, but they should all be at least decently overstable. I use a gold line XXX from Latitude64 personally, but that's what was locally available when I was searching to fill this slot.

I throw about as far as you and use similar discs. I use a Champ Banshee in that slot. For me, the Teebird and Thunderbird are going to be too straight, and potentially turn more than I expect into a headwind (especially the Teebird). I haven't thrown Firebirds much, but I felt like they went to the ground too fast for me. The Banshee has a nice, workable level of overstability for me.

Firebird is of course the standard. However, I strongly recommend looking into a Reptilian Disc Golf Tyrant. It's right between a Teebird and a Banshee, so for shorter arms, it's a perfect overstable disc. Not something you need 400'+ of power to get to fly well like a Viper/Whippet.

If you're really looking for pure beef market, the Hyzerbomb MOAB is a modified Viper and is a fantastic disc for wicked overstable utility, recovery, and skip shots.

As much as I love the Firebird/XXX type disc, my vote goes for the MVP Resistor. It's in the Banshee speed class (6-7 ish) so it can be powered down easily, but can also handle a lot of power. Great combination of speed, overstability, and glide.

I already have the four discs I mentioned in the original post. So far, from my selection, the Firebird and Banshee are getting the most nods. I may be leaning toward the Banshee, though.

Last edited:
Firebird is THE classic for that slot. Tough to go wrong there. You may want to double check that it's a "real" firebird not the FL mold (bottom of wing should be noticeably concave).

Champ Banshee is also a great disc for these purposes. I like my Firebirds stupid flat for downhill and headwind throws. In comparison, the Banshee is a lot more workable.

I actually bag both a champ Firebird and champ Banshee. Banshee probably sees 90% of the workload, with FB only getting thrown in the most extreme situations. However, a single Firebird with slight dome might well be able to do it all.

I would go Raptor (a really great disc IMO) or the classic for this slot: G* Firebird. My Trident works for some shorter versions of these shots also - may be worth a shot as well

At your power level, any of those (except maybe the Star TB) should be PLENTY overstable to do utility work. The Firebird and Banshee are classics in that role. Those stock stamp Star Thunderbirds are super overstable as well.

Any of them should work. Go throw them.

Any of them should work. Go throw them.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Go throw them in a field and on the course. See which one works best for you.

I actually was out throwing them all in the field yesterday. The Firebird fades a bit deeper than the Banshee, but they both went about the same distance.

Feel in hand can help you decide. What feels right,releases clean is a good way to distinguish. Cause these discs all fly pretty similar....

Latest posts