• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warm ups and strengthening

MikeyDays

What do most players do for a warm up before a round? What exercises can I do to strengthen my arm and hopefully improve my game and my distance? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Most players throw gently to warm up before a round.

You don't need exercises to throw further. It is about timing and coordination, not strength.

Let your elbow bend as you pull through so the disc passes very close to your chest. Use a firm grip.

If you're a beginner, don't overthink.

Putting, stretching light muscle and cardio work for warm ups. For training finger strength and speed training for the muscle opposite the bicep and core twisting to the sides and no speed long jumping but aimed at the quickness and explosiveness of the leg straightening and plyometrics for everything. Speed of the movements is key because you want to get the disc flying out fast. You gotta have a gorilla grip because if you don't the disc will slip before a full pivot and that means the disc can't fly faster than the arm moves. If that happens you're a slob like me limited to a little over 400' with current tech discs.

MikeyDays said:
What do most players do for a warm up before a round? What exercises can I do to strengthen my arm and hopefully improve my game and my distance? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

MOST casual players do very little warmup unless you count the walk from their car to hole #1.

Tournament players (basically the top 5% of all players in terms of skill and dedication to the game) run the full gamut. Some play a full round as warm up. Some do stretching and exercises and putting and throwing. I know one really fine Pro whose full warmup routine is to exit his vehicle at the course, open up a folding chair, sit down and crack a beer and wait until its time to attend the players meeting.

Personally I like a full hour or more to stretch, play catch and throw a few holes with long pauses of putting practice. But I am old and idiosyncratic. Even for a league round I like at least a half hour.

Just like it is hard to spot reduce when on a diet, it is hard to develop just your arm. Overall strength, coordination, balance and endurance routines maintained religiously over time and directed by experts is probably your best bet. At least it is what I do. Or, I guess you could watch a late night infomercial and buy whatever they suggest.

Perhaps one place to start is to decide what your biggest physical weakness is and focus on improving that. Most players do the opposite of course. The big strong guys are more comfortable with weight lifting so they do that first even if it is what they need the least. This is the value of a personal trainer. Their are many exercises which are so foreign to your strengths that you would never submit to the embarrassment of doing them in an open gym if not for them forcing it on you.

I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. At our local league the only guy who ever really does a lot of stretching and warming up (on the occasions when he actually has time to attend) also happens to be the #1 rated player in Wisconsin.

As I near my mid 30'a I find stretching my legs and warming up my arm slowly (putting then short shots) really makes a huge Difference.

I don't see how someone could step up to the tee pad and rip a full drive with cold muscles. Right now I like to do some quick stretching and take 5 discs in my hand and go through throwing motions 10 times and go up and down 10 times while mixing in some side to sides with the wrist. After that I throw about 20 putts. Im 27 and I feel better and throw better when I am warm and loose. As for now I am really going to work on my form and try out some of those new exercises.

Redisculous said:
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. At our local league the only guy who ever really does a lot of stretching and warming up (on the occasions when he actually has time to attend) also happens to be the #1 rated player in Wisconsin.

As I near my mid 30'a I find stretching my legs and warming up my arm slowly (putting then short shots) really makes a huge Difference.

Do you throw in Madison at all? I have recently played all 3 courses and I think they are great.