• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wassup from Marietta GA

Bought the deluxe bag, KC Tour Edition Star Wraith and a Champion Valkyrie from the Innova store. Hey it's free shipping over $75, might as well load up right? The bag comes with markers, stickers, a rule book and a towel, pretty damn sweet.

That's gotta be it for a while or my wife is gonna kick my ass. I'm probably over 30 discs now.

Welcome fellow Oregon Park denizen. Glad to hear your enjoying the game, and hope to see you out there one day!

Ordered a DiscCatcher.

It's normal to blow $500 within the first month of discovering a new hobby, right?

Yeah man, I play there a lot and have actually TDed a few tournaments there.

If your looking to blow some cash on discs hit up James aka Southern Spinners who sells discs out there, great prices and if you need anything he can get it. If you want to try Salient or Yikun discs I can get those for you at an okay rate too.

Yeah man, I play there a lot and have actually TDed a few tournaments there.

If your looking to blow some cash on discs hit up James aka Southern Spinners who sells discs out there, great prices and if you need anything he can get it. If you want to try Salient or Yikun discs I can get those for you at an okay rate too.
The Antidote looks interesting...

Good to know, thanks.

I found a good way to play a quick round on my lunch hour -- 1 thru 3, then bang a right and the 12th tee is right there. I can barely finish 10 holes on these wicked hot days anyway. :mad:

Here's another idea: Play 1 and 2, then play 14-17. That's six holes, and you can decide if you want to play 3, 12, 13, and 18, for 10 holes, or just turn and play 18 for the seventh hole. Not to give you too many ideas, but you could also pick several holes in a loop (there are several short loop options like this at OP) and play them twice around, once silver and once gold. Finally (last idea for now), if you want to get down to the far side of the course, you could park down by the baseball fields, and play 11-13, then 3-10. That's also 10 holes, though it's the longer and more challenging part of the course.

I have a similar situation where I work a 5 min. drive from Wills Park, and can squeeze in 18 holes there on my lunch hour if I play fast. Some days, when it's hot or I just don't feel like rushing, I'll just play 9 holes there, such as 1-7, and then 17-18.

Last edited:
Here's another idea: Play 1 and 2, then play 14-17. That's six holes, and you can decide if you want to play 3, 12, 13, and 18, for 10 holes, or just turn and play 18 for the seventh hole. Not to give you too many ideas, but you could also pick several holes in a loop (there are several short loop options like this at OP) and play them twice around, once silver and once gold. Finally (last idea for now), if you want to get down to the far side of the course, you could park down by the baseball fields, and play 11-13, then 3-10. That's also 10 holes, though it's the longer and more challenging part of the course.

I have a similar situation where I work a 5 min. drive from Wills Park, and can squeeze in 18 holes there on my lunch hour if I play fast. Some days, when it's hot or I just don't feel like rushing, I'll just play 9 holes there, such as 1-7, and then 17-18.
That's pretty cool to have all those options, thanks. I've been working a lot on my putting and approaches just in the back yard on these hot days. Having the basket is a game changer. Also just ordered a Pure, Warlock and KC Pro Aviar. Trying to find "my" putter, then I'll just practice with the rest.

Hoping to squeeze in a couple rounds this weekend at OP.

That's pretty cool to have all those options, thanks. I've been working a lot on my putting and approaches just in the back yard on these hot days. Having the basket is a game changer. Also just ordered a Pure, Warlock and KC Pro Aviar. Trying to find "my" putter, then I'll just practice with the rest.

Hoping to squeeze in a couple rounds this weekend at OP.

Practicing in your back yard will do wonders for your putting. :thmbup:

I definitely like Gateway putters, but my choice is the Voodoo. Everybody is different, so find what feels comfortable in your own hand, and go with that.

Hi Baked...

Most of the discs in your bag are too fast for a beginner. I recommend that you not use any discs that have a speed higher than a 5, until you get your arm strength up and you learn how to control the discs that you are throwing. I recommend that you get a meteor, a buzz and an aviar to start and make sure they are as heavy as you can get them.

Once you can throw the meteor 100 yards or more, then you can move up to a faster disc but don't go higher than an 8 until you can throw it 150 yards.

Too often, New players will grab the fastest discs they can thinking they need the advantage. But without knowing how the disc will fly, poor form and inadequate arm strength, the discs won't work as intended. So don't do that.

Take my advice and within 6 months you will be able to play with confidence and will lose less discs.

Hi Baked...

Most of the discs in your bag are too fast for a beginner. I recommend that you not use any discs that have a speed higher than a 5, until you get your arm strength up and you learn how to control the discs that you are throwing. I recommend that you get a meteor, a buzz and an aviar to start and make sure they are as heavy as you can get them.

Once you can throw the meteor 100 yards or more, then you can move up to a faster disc but don't go higher than an 8 until you can throw it 150 yards.

Too often, New players will grab the fastest discs they can thinking they need the advantage. But without knowing how the disc will fly, poor form and inadequate arm strength, the discs won't work as intended. So don't do that.

Take my advice and within 6 months you will be able to play with confidence and will lose less discs.
Thanks for the advice and yes, I'm mostly driving with the lower speed fairway discs and things that are more understable. I only have the wraiths for one particular hole at OP where the basket is tucked behind trees on the left. I launch the thing as hard as I can and it tomahawks just past the basket for an easy 2 (on good days).

I've bought a ridiculous number of discs but I only carry 12 with me on the course, mostly fairways, mids and putters.

Practicing in your back yard will do wonders for your putting. :thmbup:

I definitely like Gateway putters, but my choice is the Voodoo. Everybody is different, so find what feels comfortable in your own hand, and go with that.
My putting needs a lot of work. My natural "frisbee" motion is burned into my brain and I'm all over the place if I do a proper putting stance and release. The grip and the motion don't feel natural.

Got a stack of putters and practicing daily in the yard. Probably throw 200+ putts/approaches every day, everything from 10' to about 80', all different angles, around trees, etc. I've found a putting stroke that works okay, and I'm slowly improving. Finally stopped my disc buying spree and just focusing on getting better with a handful of different molds.

What a great sport, wish I'd discovered it decades ago.

Great time at the field today, first time throwing for distance since I bought the basket. My little approach shots in the back yard are definitely helping my form because I'm throwing more accurately at longer distances now. I threw mostly mids and a few fairway drivers.

Fairways: The Leopard and Stratus will be my bread & butter "distance" molds until I can generate more power and better form. Both of those fly great for me. The Diamond had some good flights too, but it's hard to control in the wind. I didn't care for the FD, Teebird or Witness and will probably shelve them for a while. Not giving up on them but just don't think they're a good fit right now.

Mids: Huge fan of the Rocs. I've got a KC Pro Rancho, a DX San Marino and a Star Roc+. I didn't get crazy distance but nice S-shaped lines that went where I wanted them to. I'll probably pick up a couple more in max weight and work on distance. I also had good luck with my Buzzzes, Comets and Meteors. Buzzz flew the straightest, Meteor was straight to understable. Comet was less forgiving of my noob form but I got some decent throws with it. The Cobra was possibly the most fun of all -- nice gentle turn and long glide. I'm going to order one in Champion max weight and see if I can get it to fly straighter.

Also messed around with a soft Pure which flew surprisingly far. I ordered an Opto version and can't wait to throw it. The concept of a driving putter is something I'm just starting to embrace and I think it will help my game.

Next round I play, this is my bag: Stratus, Leopard, Roc, Buzzz, Meteor, Cobra, Opto Pure, probably a lid, and then I'll cycle my other putters until I decide on one for strictly putting duties. I've got Swans, Magnets, Pures, Aviars, Warlocks, a Wizard and a Voodoo, so it's gonna be a while before I settle on one. I also ordered 2 XT Colts based on the reviews here, couldn't resist. And I want to try a Whale eventually too. Can't have too many putters.

So despite my buying frenzy, I like having my bag narrowed down to the best molds for my skill level. I'll carry 7 or 8 fairways/mids and 3 or 4 putters. And I've got plenty of reserves to cycle in there as my game evolves, or else sell/trade. :thmbup: