• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What color is your putter?

Long, possibly stupid and pointless stories..

I was running a tournament and had the discs out for sale in this warming room for an old closed ice rink when I picked up a gray Magnet and commented on how ugly it was. I waved it around for a little while and then absent mindedly sat it up on a desk in front of a window in the office. A few months later I was walking down the outside steps and saw the ugly gray Magnet sitting there in the window with the sun beating down on it. Warped for sure. I took it as a "you broke it, you bought it" violation and bucked up for it. It was fugly and warped, and I was impressed enough with my early throws to decorate it with this:
002-1.jpg

I was a fairly new player and not really set on a putter, so I went back to the Magnet at some point to find that the fugly gray warped Magnet was money. The warp was in the flight plate, the wing was straight. After a while the flight plate was less warped than it was sunken, and it was deadly accurate and great into the wind. It was not so hot off the tee but great for upshots and putts. It would drop and sit like no other putter I had. It was my primary Magnet for several years.

I'm bad with putters, I go back and forth. For years it was Aviars and Magnets. Magnets got pushed out by Wizards and few years ago, and now I go back and forth between Aviars and Wizards. I have not thrown Magnets in a long time.

I've had a couple Aviars that were in the bag for a long time. One was a story similar to the Magnet. I was running a Worlds Biggest when I picked up an ugly tan players pack disc because...well, because it was ugly. I was putting at a basket between people showing up, and I managed to mix the ugly Aviar in with my putters and hit the number plate with it. I took out a nice chunk, so once again I broke it and bought it. It was in my bag for years. After it got really flippy I used to hit some nice long putts with it. I had a bag with three putter pockets, and one of them was a zip-up compartment. I put the ugly Aviar in there, and when I had a long putt I'd unzip the compartment and do the Billy Baroo routine from Caddyshack. It really used to piss guys off when I'd stand there going "Billy, Billy, Billy....don't let me down Billy" and then hit a long putt.
011.jpg

I chunked some plastic off of the top of it really early on after I got it, and after I had been throwing it for 10 years it started to crack at that spot so I hung it on the wall of my garage.

One that is still in my bag when I'm throwing Aviars is a red big bead. I threw it on an approach shot on hole one at Creve Coeur one time where it appeared to hit a twig that flopped up over the disc. When I got to the disc I found that the twig was a big dead fish that one of the seagulls had dropped from the lake across the road. I have a strange and unnatural fear of fish, so of course when I realized what was laying on my disc I jumped and screamed like a little girl (to the wild entertainment of my playing partners.) When the round ended the event was immortalized in a double entendre:
012.jpg

I've never really had a Wizard to die for. None of them are all that special to me, so my stupid putter stories are over. However to answer the question in the thread title, I have found that ugly putters work very well and I now seek them out whenever possible.

I went looking for that old Magnet this morning. The minute I took my putting grip I remembered why I loved that disc. That disc conformed perfectly to my hand. The sunken plate gives it a subtle GT-like feel on the top of the disc, and it just slipped into my hand like it was molded for it. I have an orange Magnet that was the off the tee counterpart to the gray Magnet. They were both in my bag for the same amount of time, but the orange one just felt like a Magnet I could have bought yesterday. The gray one felt perfect.

I went a little farther and pulled down the old World's Biggest small bead down off the garage wall. It was a very similar deal. Slightly sunken flight plate, felt perfect in my hand. My other "baby" that I didn't mention before is a 9X KC Avair that also has a sunken flight plate. None of my Wizards have a sunken flight plate, which might explain why none of them stand out as all that special to me.

I'm beginning to believe I like putters with a sunken flight plate, a detail that has escaped me until just now.

jubuttib said:
Have you tried the Yeti yet Stiff?
I wasn't the slightest bit interested until about 1:30 this afternoon. Right about then the light bulb went off and I thought "Maybe I should be checking out the Yeti..."

Latest posts