• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What color is your putter?

I prefer white putters, I like them firm without stamps and dirty. My favorite putter of all time was lost in a lake in Daytona, fl july of 09. It was a wizard, felt so great and the first golf disc i actually bought for myself.

Since ive lost that disc i have been lost and hopped around the putter wagon for a while. Went back and forth between aviars and wizards. Since august 2010 my main putter has been a soft ion. I use it for all putts and most upshots, sometimes i use a new medium if i need more fade or there's some wind. As much as i love the ion im not a huge fan of primo plastic putters.

I may have to give the yeti aviars a chance.

Handfeel is much more important than color to me. As many have said, when you pick up your putter, you can just feel it. I prefer a stiff rim, give in the flight plate is okay, but I definitely don't like flexy putters. I wipe any stock stamp off my putter, not for feel but for looks. I've signed some, I've put VII I VII on others. My current putter has "breath • focus • release" on it.

I've thrown just about every putter out there, but for chain duties I've gone through Aviars, Magnets, Wizards, Challengers, KC's, Voodoos, back to Wizards, back to KC's and now back to Challengers. I've grown quite fond of the ghost stamped Challengers (If you have them, I want them!), and my current rotation is a blue and an orange from '05 Am Worlds, a blue from Riverside Glide and two blacks from '06 Hambrick.

I used to be super particular about never throwing my putting putter, but not so much anymore. I do keep a fresh Challenger for stable drives, but my others do occasionally see some airtime. I don't like my putting putter to be fresh when it gets bagged though, so it has to see the practice basket rotation for a while before it makes it to the big show.

I carry two putters in my putter pocket and tend to use the newer one for circle putts. If I have a particularly off putting day I may swap one out for another steed from the stable. Never swap both at the same time.

My favorite color for putters is purple or pink, although sadly I have no Challengers in either.

As long as it's a medium ION I don't care about the color. I have white, black, blue and orange ones, all fly the same.

I'm picky with P-MD2s though, the orange ones are just simply superior to the others.

Feel > color any day of the week. I prefer more on the grippy side and can't stand dinner-plate stiff putters. Color doesn't matter, but I prefer black & they're nothing a pot of black rit death can't fix (my current rhyno was an ugly pale pink). Gummy champ rhynos & r-pro tank at the moment, but I'm not stuck to one mold. Started with the rhyno, used a wizard for a year, back to rhyno, then voodoo, then rhyno, now tank. If I start missing putts I'll switch to one or the other (all in my head, but it makes me feel better).

pd

Trey133 said:
I don't like touching a stamp with my thumb when I putt, so usually I acetone something off.
you just made me realize something about my putting. Its not that I don't like the feel of touching the stamp but I do make a conscious effort to be touching nothing but pure clean plastic.

I usually pick bright colors for no real reason. I also tend to buy hot pink discs, possibly because of their visibility. As it turns out, though, my hot pink D focii are great putters.

I have a matching pair of baby blue SS Wizards with rainbow stamps. They are interchangeable to me. I prefer a blue putter because I read that blue is psychologically calming. I can't say whether or not the color helps me as a putter, but they are very nice looking and feeling which is what matters with your primary putter.

I putt close with a beat up 174g Wizard, white medium with red foil stamp. Long putts get a red 175g medium Ion. For practice I have another 174g medium white with blue foil Wizard and a pair of 174g Jerry Garcia stamped glow Wizards. Throwing Jerry at baskets cracks me up enough that I won't ever use those in a round, though I love the feel, kind of like a medium core covered in a thin film of chewed Juicy Fruit. Think about it, though: Jerry's spinning like crazy, smashes into chains... whatta trip, man. It's totally internal, but it's just distracting enough for me to miss a putt once or twice a round from thinking about it. On the Ion side for practice I also have a 175g light blue medium Ion.

I don't care about color, long as I can find it if it rolls into some plants, and I don't ink my discs now except for my name and phone number on the underside.

I like obnoxious colors. Currently using a funky purple medium Ion as my main putter. Recently switched from Vibram putters because I wanted more glide on my long putts.

Jaysus said:

Party Foul! :lol:

I had two main putters until my favorite Rattler cracked on a basket this winter, leaving me with my favorite Magnet as my primary putter. Btw, the formerly 2nd string Rattler has not performed nearly as well as the cracked and departed one, except for touch upshots.

I found my main Magnet in a regrind bin at the Discraft factory. It was a color blem (swirls of orange and a dark color, probably black or blue) and decidedly homely. It looked weird enough that I picked it up and felt it. It felt great! A little concave and medium stiffness and grippy. So I got permission to rescue it, then put 5 hotstamps on it. A triple stamp from Bell's Brewery and Discraft Baby grip stamps on top and bottom. I hoped that the disc would feel a sense of loyalty to me since I saved it from being reground (like a puppy rescued from the dog pound) and it has worked that way. I like very unique looking putters-and discs in general.

Feel trumps color for me. I would prefer a bright, pretty color but the only color I used to shy away from was white. White putters get dirty and look terrible. (I once asked Red Whittington why he didn't clean his world-class-ugly white Magnets and he claimed the dirt was "chain juice" which made them work better. Whatever, they looked ghastly.) Now that I have figured out that ground-in dirt can be cleaned out and the disc returned to as bright and shiny as new by using a product known as Goof Off, I would be open minded to using white.

I do clean my putters regularly, not just for appearance but because it restores a tacky feeling. Be careful if you use Goof Off to clean them because it will take the hotstamp off.

Weight is not important. I have had putters anywhere from 165 to 175. The only downside to lighter weights is how they fight the wind. I carry enough putters in my bag so there is always one which is heavy and overstable for wind duty.

I note and appreciate the little nicks and markings putters get from hitting the basket. I consider them badges of honor which improve the character of the disc. A putter doesn't get retired because it is too broken in, only if it fails to perform or becomes too concave (then it doesn't fit right in the hand).

Although I have tried a lot of different putters, the Magnet has been my mainstay through the years, with the Rattler coming on for putter duty only in the past couple years. I usually walk up to a putt with a towel and one Magnet and one Rattler in hand. I decide which putter to use and hold the towel and other putter in my off hand. I went to this format because I know I am too lazy, once I set up for a putt, to go back to my bag to change putters. Oh, and I practice putt holding a towel and extra discs so I don't want to change my routine.

I used to prefer hard putters. Some of you may remember the sticker Magnets. The hard Magnets lose a little tackiness as they age which is more noticeable in cold and wet. I try not to use a disc which needs to be replaced in bad conditions. Some runs of hard Magnets are on the soft side and some runs of Soft Magnets are on the hard side: these "Medium" Magnets are what I look for. There was a limited run of Rubber Magnets which are superb (medium, tacky and slightly concave)and are my main backups. Since becoming sponsored I have become much more picky, no doubt because I can be.

cfair said:
Trey133 said:
I don't like touching a stamp with my thumb when I putt, so usually I acetone something off.
you just made me realize something about my putting. Its not that I don't like the feel of touching the stamp but I do make a conscious effort to be touching nothing but pure clean plastic.

I sort of do the same thing. I always used to line my hand up above the exact same spot on any innova stamp. So with these new yeti I wiped the stamps off so that I felt comfortable putting with all of them interchangeably and so I didn't get OCD about where to place my hand

Hey Mark, care to help me be picky? I'd love to personally pick out a disc and then get to personally hotstamp it... and I'd love if I could snag one of those "Green Focus" that dan beto seems to like...

cfair said:
Hey Mark, care to help me be picky? I'd love to personally pick out a disc and then get to personally hotstamp it... and I'd love if I could snag one of those "Green Focus" that dan beto seems to like...

Sure. Although I have little influence in these matters, a good first step would be get sponsored and make a pilgrimage to the factory. If that route seems unlikely then buy the company or acquire blackmail material. There might be other ways which haven't occurred to me. :)

interesting topic..

i carry two blue wizard S as my goto. Both are from the same run and cannot find any replacements for them.

my goto is my tournament from 2008...and I had nikko sign it when he stayed here this past year and left me some putting words of wisdom on it.

Did a lawyer just tell me to blackmail the company he works for? I googled it, but didn't find anything helpful, maybe I'll start collecting against their cell phones? :lol: Looks like it's back to PIAS for my putter needs. :cry:

Mark Ellis said:
cfair said:

Sure. Although I have little influence in these matters, a good first step would be get sponsored and make a pilgrimage to the factory. If that route seems unlikely then buy the company or acquire blackmail material. There might be other ways which haven't occurred to me. :)

Mark Ellis. An ambassador for the sport, accomplished lawyer, and occasional smart ass :)

If I wanted blackmail I suppose I should have recorded that private lesson you gave me before the PIAS free clinic. In case any of you were wondering if Mark Ellis applied himself I'm sure he could make a great ambassador for competitive dancing as well :).

Latest posts