• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

***What Does DG Mean to You?***

Before I repeat many of the sentimants expressed before me, I would love to touch on an aspect of the sport that I don't believe anyone has mentioned, and that is that everyones tools, while all regulation, are completely unique. Noone elses Sidewinder is perfectly beaten like mine, so therefore noones flight arc is quite the same as mine when throwing the same disc. Everyone I play with knows exactly how all of their discs perform when thrown satisfactorily, and make their disc and shot selections accordingly. It has quite the "gunslinger" vibe, if you know what Im alluding to...quite the Indiana Jones, let me reach in my satchel of mystical items for exactly the right trinket for this quest kind of thing going on. That being said, I too am amazed at the amount of walking, climbing, squatting, stretching, and mental deliberation and strategizing that my 35yr old self incurrs since embraceing this "sport". I love the unique landscapes that I take in, and would never be privvy to were it not for some chains and some plastic. The collector in me, whether it be round stats, comic books, Magic cards, Maquettes, or custom Tournament discs is satiated. And finally I thouroughly am pleased with the community, as it is a 98% chance that the people I meet when throwing are like minded, positive, worthwhile Damn glad I met ya folks. So disc golf is an activity, but to me is more of a Zen way of being, a way of percieving, a way of interacting, quite simply, the only way.

...one of the best, one of the best.

Yes, I have envisioned fairways along the way to work. Yes, I have wondered if the trays at work are over or understable (for the record, they have no turn and just a little fade when thrown hard hyzer). My garage door has a chain on it and when the wind gets up it rattles, which stops me in my tracks for a split second. Yes, I have spent the entire 40 minute drive to work mentally envisioning the scientific flight path of a sidewinder if I throw it at this angle, this hard and with that much air on a downhill run. Yes, I have been late to work because I wanted to play one more round. Yes, I correct people every time they call it frolf. Yes, I have sorted my bag by type, over to understable, distance to mid, and then by color preference. Yes, I have entered my discs in my dashboard. That was easy because I had already made a spreadsheet for them a while ago. Yes, I have considered buying (or making) myself a weatherproof cloak (think anime) to wear in the winter while playing, so that I can dip into my satchel of discs and throw ninja style, because the vibe of the game is more important to me than the game itself, honestly.
What does disc golf mean to me? Its like a favorite song or a comfortable silence. Scottjb referred to it as a zen way of being, and that's dead on. A way of being.

...Yes, I have entered my discs in my dashboard. That was easy because I had already made a spreadsheet for them a while ago....
Ahhh... now that I can appreciate. :D

disc golf means a release to me. a time to spend with friends and family and have fun while forgetting about anything that might be bothering us at the present time.

It's a way to get my dog and me out of the house. Although I work an inside desk job, I love camping and hiking (sometimes I combine them for backpacking), and disc golf is a way for me to scratch that itch a little during the working week. It's a way for me to get out in nature and get my dog some exercise, and a good walk is every dog's favorite thing in the world. Throwing the discs makes it even more interesting, since you never take quite the same path through the park twice.

Today I played a round in windy weather just after a long rainy spell. The sky was thick with clouds, but the air had that fresh, clear quality you only get after a good rain, and the wind wasn't cold. The creeks were swollen, the ground was sopping wet, and I had no towel, but today I wasn't playing for score: I was playing to be outside on my day off. I played terribly, but I had lots of fun crawling around unfamiliar parts of the creeks and the bushes for my errant discs, and looking up at the hawks silhouetted against the passing sky. My dog had lots of fun just being out with me, and there's no telling what thousands of interesting smells she discovered. In fact, I'd venture to say Wills Park in Roswell, GA can more fun played badly than played well, and I see why so many parents bring their young kids there to explore the park.

Where I am, there are no other disc golfers... and the courses closest to me are normally empty when I get a chance to go. So I really enjoy the peace and quiet of it all. I really enjoy taking in all of the scenery. Like one morning at Seth Burton in Fairmont, WV, a single sunbeam was shining right though the trees where I was teeing off on hole #1. It was like a signal that a great round was about to start. I said and little prayer, gave a little thanks and had a great round.

I like that you can play with a big group, or you can be totally alone and have a great time. DG is the only thing that gets me out of bed at 5:30 when I'm on vacation, so that I can play a round or two before my wife and daughter get out of bed.

Plus I used to play a lot of tennis and DG is much easier on these old bones.