• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What does Disc Golf need?

That's funny.

Yeah, all we need for the sport to grow are better TV announcers. :p

Wait...are you serious? :wall:

Right ... no golfer would ever search youtube for "Jack Nicklaus", see "European Open with Jack Nicklaus" and click on it ...

Yeah, I'm pretty serious.

contentedness.

Disc Golf is a Recreational Sport. Designed for fun, not highly competitive play. Maybe Disc Golf will be viewed as more "mainstream" if Park Districts starting running Leagues like Softball, but I think that is the "mainstream ceiling" for Disc Golf.

contentedness.

Disc Golf is a Recreational Sport. Designed for fun, not highly competitive play. Maybe Disc Golf will be viewed as more "mainstream" if Park Districts starting running Leagues like Softball, but I think that is the "mainstream ceiling" for Disc Golf.

Nah. Disc golf skills translate into every major sport. High level athletes will come from disc golf one of these days.

I bet every person that started DG at an early age can switch hit, no problem.

Disc golf was never actually designed for any particular market. Market forces and individuals have applied their own preferences over the years. The rec game, amateur competition and pro sport versions should probably have diverged into paths farther apart than they are now. But we are where we are with various forces trying to stake their claim that it should be more clearly one of those things, when it's still mostly all of them in a big, fun, growing black spot.

Swedish bikini beer team:
07s26-BLONDES-885.jpg

Nah. Disc golf skills translate into every major sport. High level athletes will come from disc golf one of these days....

You mean like-----bowling. :| Cause the skills I see exhibited out there might translate to running a trashy bar, or extras who die in a chop-socky film.

Disc golf needs players who [......] can afford and don't gripe about paying a modest fee to play a round at a decent course.

Very important, groups of people that have $$ will bring bigger sponsors, more tv time, and spectators.... I don't see it happening, but that would sure help.

More youth competition at the middle school and high-school level. Tournaments with parents watching just like any other school sport.

I'd ask why people want our sport to be anything but what it is? To what end? Are we looking to legitimize the time we spend doing it? Make more money off of it? Right now, you can make whatever you want out of it.

You can play alone.
You can play in groups.
You can play for fun.
You can play for money.
You can play for exercise.
You can play to be social.
You can play every day.
You can play once a month.
You can play with your kids.
You can play for free.
You can pay to play.
You can play drunk/bonged.

There's more that I can't think of. Why can't we let it take it's natural course and enjoy what we have?

You have a point, I like where it's at as well, but I would like to see more GOOD courses to play.

I really enjoy the escape from everything, so if the sport blows up I will not be looking forward to super crowded courses.

You have a point, I like where it's at as well, but I would like to see more GOOD courses to play.

I really enjoy the escape from everything, so if the sport blows up I will not be looking forward to super crowded courses.

Ya, wanting more courses is legit. I'm lucky that I live close to a bunch of good courses. If I had to drive over an hour to get to one, "growing the sport" would be more important to me I suppose.

Latest posts