• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the state of disc golf as far as popularity and public awareness?

What's a disc golf poser?

I ran into a sales guy last week who was trying to impress me. He stated that he helped to invent disc golf in Austin. That is what a disc golf poser is....

For fun, I asked him if he knew John Houck. He blinked.

Just in the 6 years I've been playing, at least a dozen new courses have gone in within 1 hour, 15 minutes of my house. I try to play all the new ones, but sometimes, I can barely keep up.:thmbup:

i don't think you know what a poser is.

no one is walking around school saying, yeah i play disc golf so people will think he is cool. no one is walking around town with a grip bag and a handful of discs so people will think they play.

there is nothing wrong with anyone of any ability getting quality gear and trying to improve.

Sooooooooooo... What model of Grip do you have?

And a poser is someone who tries to look the part without the skills to back it up. At least around here, anyway. Guy sitting in front of the booter, kitted out in the 686 Smarty Northline getup with the fresh Ride Kink with zero scratches and no wax on the base is no different than the guy loitering at the teepad with the Grip AX15 full of unthrown Champion Bosses and Z Nukes. Does this offend you?

I just happened to look at a year old city magazine in the waiting room of gynecologist with my wife and seen they were voting on whether to let a course be made in one of the parks here.

You may be the only person ever to have discovered disc golf in a gynecologist's office. :D

And a poser is someone who tries to look the part without the skills to back it up. At least around here, anyway. Guy sitting in front of the booter, kitted out in the 686 Smarty Northline getup with the fresh Ride Kink with zero scratches and no wax on the base is no different than the guy loitering at the teepad with the Grip AX15 full of unthrown Champion Bosses and Z Nukes. Does this offend you?

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt: maybe they're just rich and interested in fashion.

More and more people I meet have at least heard of disc golf, and more and more have tried it at least once, but the vast majority still don't play it regularly.

No, because I didn't have the faintest clue what the former was until I looked it up, and the latter only exists in the minds of people on this website who seem to think people need some sort of merit license to have nice equipment. Such people need to stop inventing problems or annoyances that never were outside of their hyperactive judgmental brains and go live life a little bit.

Has the lack of volunteers to maintain the venue stopped baseball and water parks, or ANY other park amenity?

Yeah it seems like DGers have this "we must do it" vs helpnothers understand and see the vision in order to get new courses in place.

Many depts here dont want a bunch of "volunteers" running around maintaing the parks. They have entire crews for that just dont always understand the DG design or impsct a course can have on the plot of land.

DG relies on too many volunteers IMO specially when it comes to major professional events. At least picking up trash is something you wont likely get flack for doing.

No, because I didn't have the faintest clue what the former was until I looked it up, and the latter only exists in the minds of people on this website who seem to think people need some sort of merit license to have nice equipment. Such people need to stop inventing problems or annoyances that never were outside of their hyperactive judgmental brains and go live life a little bit.

Hahaha there are usually two types of people in niche sports... Trendwhore bandwagon jumper posers, and the people who get annoyed by them. Nice equipment is not the issue, it is when the person starts acting cocky because of said equipment, AKA when the poser mentality kicks in. Some people think looking the part is more important than developing some actual tangible skill. By the way, doesn't judging someone for their opinions seem a bit... I dunno... Judgmental? Pot and kettle yadda yadda yadda.

But the player boom didn't happen until five years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nt_champions#World_Series_of_Poker_Main_Event

Without online poker, there'd have been no Chris Moneymaker, and Rounders would have been a forgettable Matt Damon movie.

That link doesn't do much to reinforce your notion. Here's a link of poker pros saying how monumental the movie was to the game's growth.

http://www.pokerlistings.com/pros-discuss-rounders-impact-on-poker-37613

Posers step up to get beat down!

Jukeshoe: <---No horse in this race.

voguers are the true posers

il_340x270.672571128_sujj.jpg

Hahaha there are usually two types of people in niche sports... Trendwhore bandwagon jumper posers, and the people who get annoyed by them. Nice equipment is not the issue, it is when the person starts acting cocky because of said equipment, AKA when the poser mentality kicks in. Some people think looking the part is more important than developing some actual tangible skill. By the way, doesn't judging someone for their opinions seem a bit... I dunno... Judgmental? Pot and kettle yadda yadda yadda.

..nice quote.

Yesterday I told a guy at work that I enjoy disc golf. He couldn't stop laughing.

Is disc golf still on the rise in popularity?

I just saw that the PDGA this year increased membership by 20%, and also sanctioned tournaments by 20%., over last year. At that rate, it'll quadruple in about 9 years.

This site lists 665 courses built in 2014 and 2015, with more certain to be listed.

I've read a few posts about the lack of (or not) volunteers for maintenance. In the short 8 years I've been playing I've seen a dramatic improvement in general course maintenance. In part because locally the State Parks in Western NY have really begun to actively feature the courses in their parks. Also there has been renewed interest in the several local County Park courses by Erie County Parks folks. The local club and various leagues have expanded and after a bit of a lull in volunteerism, this too has increased.

So as far as I can tell a more dedicated and professional approach by all has meant less graffiti, less trash, less vandalism and less drunken louts on the courses.

A win/win!

no. i also doubt that person exists. there is no way to look cool by playing disc golf. either by having good gear, pretending to be good, or actually being good. none of it is cool anywhere but in someone's distorted vision of reality