• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What part of the form do you think most decent/good amateurs slack off on?

NoseDownKing

Eagle Member
Just interested in hearing different opinions about this.

I would count on getting off the rear leg early enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guess it´s that weight shift behind thing imo. Moving forward as you you do your backswing/leave the disc behind. Usually amateurs load up back and move forward with the swing in sync.

Most folks I see could incorporate a deeper reach back with more shoulder rotation in their backhand drive. Seems some people want to keep their eyes on the basket during the reach back which prevents them from rotating their upper body all the way.

Most folks I see could incorporate a deeper reach back with more shoulder rotation in their backhand drive. Seems some people want to keep their eyes on the basket during the reach back which prevents them from rotating their upper body all the way.

That is also in the same thing I was going to say, about not having body turned all the way back. I see it not as a want to keep eyes on basket as a more eyes on the line they want to take if they know better then to look where the basket is and rather where the best shot line is. I was once one of these people until I found that being turned all the way back to the right spot works.

Also some do the exact opposite and turn too far back to the point all they can use in a X step Backhand are some of the most OS discs as they are then hooking most other discs slight OS and under to the right at the end of the flight. Most but not all of this stems from trying to use the Super OS discs that some of the top pro players use and having to overturn body to keep disc on the right flight path because they have attempted to use nearly the exact same set up of discs as a top pro (often male) not realizing the newer within first 2-3 years player needs to work into some of the discs these top players use. These are often players that take the first advice of using a putter slight OS and under as the only disc, then see a pro in the bag having seen what they use online and try to copy using those discs not knowing that the pro might have worked up to such discs, not starting with them right away. There will always be an exception of a touring pro who could throw ___ OS High speed driver on first throw 200-300 feet.

I think most players turn back too much and too early, then have to turn forward into the shot. They are initiating everything with rotation, rather than a lateral weight shift that turns into rotation on the front leg.

So they are throwing with a push off the rear leg, rather than anchoring themselves around the plant leg in balance to be able to pull the shot.

Basically they think speed, rather than balance and leverage.

I agree with everything that has been said already. I will add that nose angle control is lacking.

This is true, I was the nose in the ground guy to the point I used a Valkyrie as my main driver for that reason those discs tend to take nose down the best. Now since I got better with nose angle I still use Valkyrie but for a different reason more how much distance I can get from such a lower speed model that and some shots that are nose straight but released low height.

Proper forearm, seen quite few good backhand players totally ignore forehand for no reason and use bh anny for similar throw until narrow low ceiling hole that bends sharply to right.

Judging by the number of posts in the "Discs" section versus this section, I think people spend WAY more time thinking about disc selection than how to actually throw them.
I agree. The teeshot didn't end up poorly because of the disc. It was because of you.

As much as I agree most players put too much emphasis on buying discs...they don't select them very well.

Like thinking things such as:
-what is the most open line to the basket?
-what disc naturally flies this path at 70% effort?
-if I mess up a bit will this disc hold that line or hyzer early or turn over? Which mistake is preferential on this hole?
-would I rather be too short or too long...should I choose a faster or slower disc than "normal" for this distance?
-is it easier to hit a higher line with a slow disc to range it on an open hole, or a faster disc on a lower line to avoid branches?
-if there is wind...then that's a can of worms for most less experienced players as far as disc and line choice.

As much as I agree most players put too much emphasis on buying discs...they don't select them very well.

Like thinking things such as:
-what is the most open line to the basket?
-what disc naturally flies this path at 70% effort?
-if I mess up a bit will this disc hold that line or hyzer early or turn over? Which mistake is preferential on this hole?
-would I rather be too short or too long...should I choose a faster or slower disc than "normal" for this distance?
-is it easier to hit a higher line with a slow disc to range it on an open hole, or a faster disc on a lower line to avoid branches?
-if there is wind...then that's a can of worms for most less experienced players as far as disc and line choice.
This is very true.

To really simplify the technical problem: Thinking too much arm in every shot. In order to be efficient and consistent the power needs to come from somewhere else. In putting as well.

The mental side is not practicing enough which often leads to expecting too much and getting frustrated. You shoot a great round once a month and base your expectations on that.

The third part would be lack of ambition or lack of open mindedness. People accept their level of play and thats it. And we have all met a guy who says I cant throw forehands or standstills or putters or what ever simply because he has barely ever tried or practiced those. Its fine to know your limits on the course but you have to step outside the comfort zone over and over and over again for greatness. I think I remember a guy saying that in an Innova ad a few years back

Latest posts