• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what should I get to complete my beginner bag?

I'm a complete beginner, I've maybe played 6 times, and I have a bit of a mixed bag (hahah!), I have the discs I have by accident (I bought some, lost some and some were given to me) and not by design. I

DD Judge (2 4 0 1) in Prime (really soft) plastic
DD EMAC Truth (5 5 0 1) also in Prime Plastic
Innova Teebird (7 5 0 2) in Champion plastic I think
Lattitude 64 Diamond (8 6 -3 1) I think the plastic name is Opto
MVP Tesla (9 5 1 2) in Neutron
DD Trespass (12 5 .5 3) in Prime plastic, although I good shape because I can't throw a 12-speed disc yet.

I'm still learning what over/understable means and how to know which disc is which.
While I can use the Tesla, I've seen what a real player can do with it and I don't even get close to that.

I think I have enough to last me a while, and probably too many fast discs for a beginner. I usually play the Judge, Truth, and either Teebird of Diamond most of the time. With Xmas coming though I was thinking I would add a few disks to my wish list, and that I'd ask the good people here what they would recommend to complement my bag (or replace any dog or not beginner-friendly disc).

I like the way the Truth flies, I could get it in a tougher plastic but it seems the Mako3 could be a replacement when the Truth wears out (I think they are not different enough to use at the same time?). Is there something I should try in that lower range that would help my game like a more stable and a less stable disk in that range? I read that the Buzzz is great as you start controlling your angels better?

The reason I mention plastics is I found that my Prime disc got major dings and scrapes from hitting trees or rock even after going out a few times, whereas the other plastics seem to be more durable.

At your level of experience I think the Judge and Emac Truth will serve you very well. When they start flying real straight and/or turning over on you as they beat in or your power increase, you can probably pick up something a little more overstable like a Roc or a Wasp. A straight putter should do well for you, so if you like the Judge stick with it. Mako3 and Buzz are both very popular and with good reason, feel a couple up at a shop and see what you like. Teebird and Diamond are probably a little much for you to handle right now, but it doesn't hurt to throw them every now and then to see how they are flying for you. Anything higher speed than your Teebird is probably gonna be a while before you build the form and strength to throw properly. If you want to try an understable midrange, grab a Comet or Wombat3 in base plastic and throw it a lot. If you can control it, especially the Comet, you will be a better disc golfer for it.

Sounds good! Looks like 1/2 my bag is out of my skill level right now, but that's ok. I totally see how 2 or 3 disks are all I need for now.
I may buy a couple of Judges to have more than one for putting practice, in base plastic they're pretty cheap.

I'd echo the dropping down to slower discs only.

A cycle of Judges, Truths, and TBs would be a great, simple starting place and should be easy to find.

I'd maybe consider a premium plastic Truth if you like how they feel. They will start more OS, but having that to start beating in and your Teebird will pay off. DX TBs are also great for a new player driver as they have a ton of glide and will beat in fast. Diamond will give you something with good glide and should be easier to manipulate on different lines.

At your level of experience I think the Judge and Emac Truth will serve you very well. When they start flying real straight and/or turning over on you as they beat in or your power increase, you can probably pick up something a little more overstable like a Roc or a Wasp. A straight putter should do well for you, so if you like the Judge stick with it. Mako3 and Buzz are both very popular and with good reason, feel a couple up at a shop and see what you like. Teebird and Diamond are probably a little much for you to handle right now, but it doesn't hurt to throw them every now and then to see how they are flying for you. Anything higher speed than your Teebird is probably gonna be a while before you build the form and strength to throw properly. If you want to try an understable midrange, grab a Comet or Wombat3 in base plastic and throw it a lot. If you can control it, especially the Comet, you will be a better disc golfer for it.

This is excellent advice.

The biggest trap to avoid is what's often referred to here as "archer versus arrow" where too much emphasis is put on the discs, and not enough on the skills of the thrower.

Pay no attention to disc manufacturer's claims. The biggest lie I fell for early on was the "this disc is good for every skill level" claim (Prodigy is an especially big user of this claim). It's not true - you'll end up spending a lot of money on discs that go 100' - to the left (if you're a rightie).

Pay no attention to Pros' claims. Avoid "In the Bag" videos. They're probably nice people and great athletes. But they don't know what you need - and they're selling discs.

Nothing wrong with buying multiple Judges, and trying different plastics/weights. They're an excellent disc for everything inside 150'. Learn to putt AND throw with them. Just understand that when you buy multiples of any disc, it's natural to feel like you have too much invested to switch out. That's OK - but the best thing you can do is be sure you like the disc before buying multiples.

When it comes to playing on actual courses, you will be amazed how much you can do with a putter and a mid that you've learned really well. If you can throw each of them flat, baby hyzer and slight anny with varying power you can cover a ridiculous amount of shots.

Take the Tesla and Trespass out of your bag for now. Stick with your Diamond as your main driver. Play with the Judge, Truth, Teebird, and Diamond for a while. Keep track of what throws you don't have.....for example, on hole 3 of your course your tee shot always lands in this one spot and you need a disc that will go x yards and fade right at the end to get close to the basket. None of your discs do that.....now we have an idea of what to suggest to you AND you also know what spot you are really missing. Why carry dozens of discs if you only use 4 of them? That's taken me a while to learn. Also, consider weight....what weights are your discs? Especially the drivers? I normally can't throw a 12 speed with my noodle arm, but I carry a 139 g Star Tern for certain shots, but only when there's no wind.

I was going to suggest an Innova Aero, but after a google search, I don't think it's an easy (or inexpensive) option.
Folks on eBay are selling an Aero for $1000 +!! Hmmm. I've still got a few in a drawer...

But my point was, an Aero goes where you throw it. So it's a good way to check yourself on form.
Maybe this new MVP Glitch could serve that same purpose?

I'm going to more directly address a question you sort of asked, which is about the various plastics the discs can be made of.

Plastic has a large effect on how a disc flies. The base plastics, which are the least expensive options , do wear faster. So the dings you are seeing on the Judge are normal.

However, that wear isn't a bad thing. Discs "beat in" over time, which changes how they fly, and base plastics do it quicker. This is expected. A well seasoned disc is generally prized posession.

The more premium plastics are generally much harder for new players to throw, because they are more overstable than their base plastic versions, and they won't beat in quickly.

So, don't worry about the little dings, or even some warping near the rim. These are generally good things.

Take the Tesla and Trespass out of your bag for now. Stick with your Diamond as your main driver. Play with the Judge, Truth, Teebird, and Diamond for a while. Keep track of what throws you don't have.....for example, on hole 3 of your course your tee shot always lands in this one spot and you need a disc that will go x yards and fade right at the end to get close to the basket. None of your discs do that.....now we have an idea of what to suggest to you AND you also know what spot you are really missing. Why carry dozens of discs if you only use 4 of them? That's taken me a while to learn. Also, consider weight....what weights are your discs? Especially the drivers? I normally can't throw a 12 speed with my noodle arm, but I carry a 139 g Star Tern for certain shots, but only when there's no wind.
I have played 3-4 months. The Diamond is a great beginner distance disc - loved my Diamonds, and still do. It loves to flip to flat (when your release is a little off), and run straight. The light weight Star Tern - well…. I just got one 1-2 weeks ago, and, I still struggle to throw it well, but when I do, it bombs 20-40 feet further than my next longest disc. I have two orders placed right now - one includes two light weight F2 Star Terns, and the other includes a 151g Gold Orbit Diamond that will be the single most expensive disc I have bought, but I love Diamonds, and it just looks awesome, too!

I'm a complete beginner, I've maybe played 6 times, and I have a bit of a mixed bag (hahah!), I have the discs I have by accident (I bought some, lost some and some were given to me) and not by design. I

DD Judge (2 4 0 1) in Prime (really soft) plastic
DD EMAC Truth (5 5 0 1) also in Prime Plastic
Innova Teebird (7 5 0 2) in Champion plastic I think
Lattitude 64 Diamond (8 6 -3 1) I think the plastic name is Opto
MVP Tesla (9 5 1 2) in Neutron
DD Trespass (12 5 .5 3) in Prime plastic, although I good shape because I can't throw a 12-speed disc yet.

I'm still learning what over/understable means and how to know which disc is which.
While I can use the Tesla, I've seen what a real player can do with it and I don't even get close to that.

I think I have enough to last me a while, and probably too many fast discs for a beginner. I usually play the Judge, Truth, and either Teebird of Diamond most of the time. With Xmas coming though I was thinking I would add a few disks to my wish list, and that I'd ask the good people here what they would recommend to complement my bag (or replace any dog or not beginner-friendly disc).

I like the way the Truth flies, I could get it in a tougher plastic but it seems the Mako3 could be a replacement when the Truth wears out (I think they are not different enough to use at the same time?). Is there something I should try in that lower range that would help my game like a more stable and a less stable disk in that range? I read that the Buzzz is great as you start controlling your angels better?

The reason I mention plastics is I found that my Prime disc got major dings and scrapes from hitting trees or rock even after going out a few times, whereas the other plastics seem to be more durable.
Avoid the addiction to buying too many discs if you can! It is a hard habit to break! 3-4 months playing, and I have over 60 discs already. Judge, Truth, Diamond is probably good for a round as a beginner. I like to get multiples of my favorite discs for practice, and for if I lose one. Also, as a beginner, nothing wrong with base plastics. As we get better, we can always add our favorites in better plastics later. Personally, I find the base plastics mostly still work better for me so far. My addiction stems from two things. The unrelenting quest for a disc that will get me more distance, more reliably, and the quest for the putter that fits me perfectly. Good luck, and have fun!

after playing for 4 decades my best advice (and least taken) is to put a 150 class Aviar in your bag. it is great for a warm up disc for playing catch with a buddy before a round. i also warm up putting by standing 30 feet from your buddy and putt it back and forth trying to place it right at basket height. this is a great low stress way to get the putting motion going. base plastic is best and the lightweight versions will hold a turnover almost all of its flight.

the reason i say it is the least taken is because most people want to start playing disc golf with little to no skills with a disc, they just want to bomb drives and explode the chains with 60 ft putts like the big boys on YouTube. learning to toss a neutral lightweight golf mold will teach you about how to control angles better than any other excercise i know of. you will probably be pleasantly surprised at how many times you will find yourself knowing exactly how to throw a touch turnover or dead straight tunnel shot 75 ft. with it.

i haven't played a round without one in my bag since they came out in 1984. best of luck!

Avoid the addiction to buying too many discs if you can! It is a hard habit to break! 3-4 months playing, and I have over 60 discs already. Judge, Truth, Diamond is probably good for a round as a beginner. I like to get multiples of my favorite discs for practice, and for if I lose one. Also, as a beginner, nothing wrong with base plastics. As we get better, we can always add our favorites in better plastics later. Personally, I find the base plastics mostly still work better for me so far. My addiction stems from two things. The unrelenting quest for a disc that will get me more distance, more reliably, and the quest for the putter that fits me perfectly. Good luck, and have fun!
Update: 8 months playing, and over 150 discs! Yep - I'm an addict. 250' max, with a very rare 275' shot. Over 50 putters. A ton of drivers. So far, have not got the hang of mids - can not throw them worth a damn. Recommendations I would give back to beginner me: get the 158g retroburst Diamonds earlier - twas a great early driver for me. Anything above a 9 speed, lean towards under stable, and definitely light weight - 145-150g. Maybe a light weight River, Jade, Valkyrie, and/or Tern. Those are discs I like(d) a lot, and maybe wish I found sooner. Drivers do not all have to be 170g+, which are mostly meathooks!!!